on 6 June 2011
My title might be a bit harsh but I can literally be falling asleep within a couple of paragraphs and my mind starts to wander on to other things very easily whilst reading this book.

Don't get me wrong the author knows his stuff, "the stuff" about which he talks should be very interesting, and if you take note of the important bits then it could very well help improve your photography, composition and techniques (or at least your understanding of these things) ... but man it comes at a price!

I have probably read in the region of 10 or 15 photography books over the past couple of years, but this one is easily the least captivating of them all ... I actually bought this book around two years ago and am on my third attempt at reading it to completion!

If you are patient and really are serious about understanding, analysing and breaking down compositions and photography, then yeah I would recommend this book, but if you want something a bit lighter and more interesting or compelling to read then I would seriously recommend looking elsewhere.

... sorry Michael or anyone who likes his style of writing, but this is not really my "cup of chai" ...
on 25 October 2014
Still reading but good
on 14 October 2014
must read
on 6 September 2014
Simply superb.
on 18 July 2015
perfect book, exactly what I wanted
on 2 February 2017
Top book from a top professional.
More insight than I expected. Very useful. If only I could remember all the good tips...
But as they say: the top tip is always "don't forget your camera at home".
on 3 July 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Michael Freeman has an excellent reputation as both a photographer and an author. He has published dozens of books on photography and several others on non-photography interests.

I was bought up on Michael Freeman’s books. If I needed to know something and I needed a book his were one of the first I would look for.

This is the tenth anniversary issue. I would admit that I never read the original though I have several of the others on Black and White photography and Capturing the Moment. What I have found is that his books are easy to read with nice images and a guide to accomplish getting better images without patronising or talking down to the reader.

This is a soft cover book. Nicely printed though I would say that the main landscape on the cover lets the cover down, unlike the other tree images which are crisp, sharp and full of colour and contrast.

The book is divided into 6 chapters. The Image Frame; Design Basics; Graphic & Photographic Elements; Composing with Light and Colour; Intent and finally Process. Within each chapter there are several sub-chapters. This does help to break up the book and if I had one criticism it’s that it does read like an old-school text book. I appreciate that its pretty difficult to write an educational book and make it interesting and fun but Scott Kelby does it better than most and I can read his books from cover the cover. Gordon Laing's recent book In Camera again is very instructive and reads like a pal talking to you to best the best from your camera. I regret that at times I found it hard here. Maybe the Anniversary issue should have been a complete re-write.

Saying that the book covers all the areas that beginners to confident photographers will need and the bibliography at the rear is extensive and I am pleased to see reference to two Paul Hill books which I found to be excellent. Well dome Mr. freeman for adding this.

I would recommend this to someone looking to advance their images and not just for digital photographers. With film now getting a slight resurgence the comments on composition are applicable to everyone. However, If I were to read this from cover to cover I would recommend doing a chapter at a time and taking notes.
on 12 November 2015
very useful for starters
on 29 April 2015
Very informative book.
on 5 April 2015
I highly recommend this book. If you want to develop your photography skills, composition is one of the key elements to making photos work.