on 4 April 2013
I've just received my copy of A GOOD EGG, and am so pleased with it.
I have lots of cook books and really enjoy my food and with a family of 6 to feed, the demand for sustenance is great.
First impression are fab, it's well thought out, very nice presentation, some really lovely recipes and good clear instructions make this a must have book for any cook or chef.

Within minutes of opening it, my wife and one of the kids were straight into the Hot Cross Buns and their delicious smell is now filling the house. So I will keep this brief so I can go and scoff their hard work.

A great book in a busy market, I thoroughly recommend it.
on 4 April 2013
A Good Egg is a diary of inspiration to other urban hen keepers and all round foodies in general. With a new recipe every few days throughout the year (you need to give the girls time to lay enough eggs for the next recipe) it includes favourites such as Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Lemony Hollandaise and Rhubarb & Rosewater Pavlova through to the more adventurous Malaysian Egg & Aubergine Curry and Spiced Nut Meringues with Marsala Cream. It is beautifully produced (feely touchy hardback), down to earth (read 6th Nov) and makes, with it's mouth-watering photography, both a great coffee table book to browse through and a valuable manual for the kitchen.
review image
on 27 August 2013
This has to be my favourite cookbook of 2013. It's tastefully unassuming when compared to the attention grabbing large format celeb books but inside it is jam packed with utterly delicious recipes that can be whipped up with ease in the home kitchen.

There are a huge number of recipes here and what's even more surprising is how many of them I want to cook. I've already trialed the Peach and Almond Cake with Lavender Syrup which made me swoon and possibly even dribble a little. I'm very sad to say there were no leftovers to eat alone, late at night in my silky PJs, Nigella style.

It's also beautifully written, there is a believable sense of a life lived well without any of incessantly smug, my perfect life claptrap.

My family have flicked through it turning the page corners on recipes they want to try and I have gone back through carefully smoothing out the folds. Not because I don't want to make the recipes - I've taken careful note - but because I know I'll be using this book for years to come and I don't want it looking dog-eared ahead of it's time.
on 1 April 2013
I bought this book as we have three chickens and I often have an over egg supply and I need ideas of how to use them up and be seasonal about it. What a fantastic little book packed with wonderful basic and more fancy recipes. I need not look any further for lovely healthy recipes for my family and I.
on 5 June 2013
As a keen cook and chicken owner, I bought this book the other day as I have been trying to find a good book with suggestions for using up eggs. It is absolutely great and I bought a copy for my mother a few days later (and she doesn't have chickens!). Having chickens or even lots of eggs is in no way a pre requisite for this book. So far I have tried the 'sweet' recipes and all I have tried have been excellent. Sometimes I buy a recipe book, cook two things and then it gathers dust. This book definitely won't be one of those. If you like Mary Berry & Louise Walker I think you'll like this. If you have chickens it's a must.
on 4 April 2013
This book is fab. Excellent recipes and a real joy to read. If you love eggs,keep chickens and love a good life buy this book it really is amazing.....
on 20 March 2013
Genevieve Taylor is an author and food stylist. She lives in Bristol with her husband and two children, her chickens,dogs and cats. She writes a blog, a monthly column for Bristol's `Crumbs' magazine. She is also the author of Marshmallow Magic, Stew! and Soup!

This book is loosely based on Taylor's blog, and charts a year in her kitchen as she works to find the most imaginative ways to make the best use of her hens' steady supply of eggs, and at the same time use as many fruit and vegetables from her garden as possible. It is not a recipe book just based around meals involving eggs in the sense you may have been expecting. It's not just omelettes and custard. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were recipes for ice cream, pasta, cakes and pies in there too.

After a brief introduction from the author, the book is split into four seasons, with a small index by month. As each recipe has a date, it reads like a kitchen diary. One day a Warm Brioche for Breakfast, the next day a Carrot and Cumin Tart.

If you were searching for a specific recipe, it may be hard to find as the recipes are literally in no order that I could discern other than the one the author chose to make them. There is, however, an index at the back by main ingredient. I actually like the chaos, as the variety each month it provides has a nice balance of sweet and savoury

Despite being of a compact size, the book has a reassuringly traditional feel. The photos are small but beautifully shot and composed. Not surprising really, as the author does this for a living. The recipe instructions are fairly easy to follow, and the recipes are of a wide range so anyone should be able to find one they like, regardless of skill.

There are classics like Kedgeree or Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Egg. My favourite recipes are the Queen of Puddings, Gala Pie, and the Salami, Pesto and Ricotta Frittata.

The sheer variety of recipes is what really sells this book to me. It really does prove that the egg is indeed the most versatile of ingredients, and the author delivers each recipe with a true passion illustrating a natural flair for the ingredient. If I didn't have regular visits from a couple of urban foxes to my garden, I would dearly love to have some chickens of my own.
on 6 December 2013
A Good Egg is more than a cookery book. Each recipe begins with an introduction that invites you into the author's world. Genevieve's writing is charming and chatty. Her recipes are delicious and do-able and the beautiful photos will have you in the kitchen in a flash! A Good Egg is more than a collection of excellent recipes, it's a good read, too.
on 6 December 2013
This book is just perfect for anyone who yearns for the simple things - cooking simple, delicious dinners made with produce from your garden and eggs from hens pecking in the yard. It reminds me of classic Nigella books as it's a lovely read as well as having some really gorgeous recipes. A bedside book, I'd call it. Inspirational.
on 12 December 2015
Heard about this on the radio but disappointed as not good pictures of each recipe. Such a shame as I usually decide which recipes to try based on the picture of the finished dish, even.if mine never looks like it.