Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2013
From the opening prologue in the style of a well known film of a book by Alistair McLean, this is Rip roaring stuff, but with lashings of humour. It's been a couple of years since the last full length tale of Space Captain Smith, his crew and a cast of supporting characters, but in my view the wait has been worth it. I laughed a lot and many an incisive barb made me give a wry smile. I would venture to suggest that this is Frost's most convincingly told tale to date and funny to boot. The introductory blurb on Amazon or the book cover tells you all you need to know about the plot line so I will not introduce any spoilers. Just blast off and enjoy the ride. God save the king and confusion to .... well, our enemies and our friends.
on 19 August 2013
An outstanding book and incredibly funny; barely a page goes by that something's not being mocked. In my opinion Toby Frosts best book by far, though the first three are incredible books too. If you like Science Fiction and Comedy (and the British Space empire!), then this is the book for you. I've no doubt these'll be classics before to long. Would definitely recommend.
on 12 October 2013
With every writer it seems they start out writing in a certain style that appeals broadly, creating many books readers love. The problem is that as their writing progresses, their style changes and loses a certain something that their earlier books had. This is my problem with this latest Captain Smith book. It doesn't have the 'something' that the previous 3 have. Don't get me wrong, it is still worth reading but be prepared to be left feeling it needed something.
on 16 August 2013
I may have to sue Mr Frost for several broken ribs caused by being in hysterics for several parts of this book. By far and away the best one of the series so far, this chapter see's our intrepid and very British hero travel through the looking glass, oversee a galactic conference and win a sterling victory for the British Space Empire..whilst also keeping a stiff upper lip and consuming vast quantities of Tea. Its very not politically correct, and if you are of the French persuasion it may not be for you. Loved it!!!
Another rollicking romp from Toby Frost with Captain Smith doing his best to keep a stiff upper lip for the empire. Once again it's huge fun and has genuine laugh out loud moments that can be embarrassing if you are on a crowded train.

The humour is firmly rooted in old fashioned British comedy (before it became politically correct and boring) and anyone who was a fan of the Two Ronnies, Black Adder, and the Carry On films would instantly feel at home. Matron would approve. I guess one would have to give a nod to Hitch Hikers and Red Dwarf as well.

What I really like about the Toby Frost Space Captain Smith books is that he determinedly sticks to the starting theme. It's a book that is supposed to be funny. He doesn't switch halfway through to more serious ideas and tone, not does he try and make some sort of political statement with a bludgeon. He is writing a light hearted comedy and he keeps it that way. Bit like Terry Pratchett used to do when the Discworld books were funny.

So, in this installment we have our erstwhile heroes yet again pitted against the Ghast and a bunch of loonies called Edenites who are a cult very much in the mold of the scientologists down here on Earth. This going on whilst the British Space Empire is trying to sort out a bit of an agreement with various other races and of course the dastardly Europeans.

All super fun and well recommended if you want a bit of a laugh. Best read the other books first though. Whilst this can be read standalone it's better if you have more of the background of the main characters to reference the jokes back too.
on 15 November 2014
I do not know - it just seemed a bit thin compared to the 1st 3 novels. Cannot really explain it but just did not quite hit 5 stars. Having had plenty of hilarious dialogue in the past over Suruk and his 'civilisation' so much more could have been made of the spawn for example. Same with all the characters - assumption rather than content. Sorry I could not even write one sentence but it was a tad flat for me.
on 5 July 2015
Once again Space Captain Smith shows what british gumption & grit can achieve when confronted with those pesky villans from outer space. Just a jolly good jape and a lesson for our current woes!! Suruk & co do not disappoint.
on 12 November 2013
I picked up the first Space Captain Smith book (helpfully entitled Space Captain Smith) on a whim. I judged the book by its cover and just look at that cover art! Anyway I like it and it's got nothing to do with him having a better moustache than me and me being really envious and..... Look anyway. Satire done well is a hard art to master and Smiths universe is a perfect example of it done well. Unafraid to slaughter the sacred cows of sci fi and certainly a true Englishman Toby Frost has crafted a unique and laugh out loud funny saga. If you've read the other three, you'll love this. If you haven't read the other three go and do so, it's ok I'll wait......right.... done? Good, now buy this its fantastic.
on 7 September 2013
First thing. If these ever get made into a film please could Rick Mayall play the Hellfire?
I've now read three of the series in just over a week. (I would have read the other one (Wrath of the Lemming Men) but it doesn't seem to be available on Kindle
Love the characters don't have to worry about a plot. Basically it's Red Dwarf meets Hornblower. You start reading you are amused and entertained. What else do you need to know?
on 8 December 2013
I really enjoyed the first three books in this series but this book suffers the appearance of someone telling the writher, "The first three books sold well. You need to write another one to cash in." He has done so and the story suffers for it. Don't get me wrong, its a space fantasy, and being silly is expected, but put some effort into it.