on 17 September 2007
The title says it all - this is a collection of thoughts and memories and definitely NOT an autobiography. On the first page Humph desribes it as "a hotchpotch of thought and memories and this is exactly what it is.
The book is a wonderful encapsulation of the wit and considerable wisdom of the inimitable Humph, with at least one laugh per page and frequently more as Humph seamlessly elides from the consideration of 3 a.m. transport caff meals to the subject of crimes against the decent pronunciation of English within the space of about 30 words. Devoting six hilarious pages to this, he moves, with his own brand of logic to school days at Eton and and thence to dispense a cornucopia of stories and anecdotes about eccentric relations, jazz greats and his own life.
In no particular order we are treated to a wondrous sequence of cameos from the very full and fully-lived life of a man whose humour never conceals his innate wisdom and humanity.
If you enjoy the lunatic humour of "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" or if you have an interest in jazz or if you just want a good read, this is it!
on 10 February 2009
Actually I'm not sure I can improve on the two previous reviews. I am enjoying this hotchpotch of reminiscenses very much. Humph has (had) led a remarkable life; doing things and meeting people, seemingly by accident, which seem to have led him in some interesting and rewarding directions. I wish I'd had a bit more insight into the man behind the microphone of ISIHAC earlier, but better late than never - I'm happy to be reading about him now.

Humph's a man who will be much missed by millions of people who never knew him personally, as well as by his family and friends.
on 17 April 2009
I bought this book a couple of years ago, when Humphrey Lyttelton was still entertaining us with his witty and erudite appearances on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" and enjoyed it enormously. Now that he is no longer with us, the tales he told are all the more poignant as you sense that you have lost a good friend, because this is a beautifully friendly book.
The reminiscences are always entertaining and full of warmth, but this book gives you a true feeling of a full life - cartoonist, writer, broadcaster, jazz trumpeter to name a few of his talents - fully lived, and ultimately you just put it down and feel better about the world.
It's funny, occasionally moving, and packed full of the sparkling fun little stories that make up a great life, and told in a lovely, self-deprecating way. Few harsh words are spoken in the best tradition of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", and good things are said about pretty much everybody he met along the way. The photo section alone is worth the entrance fee, with Humph's own sharp captions giving them added charm.
In the end, I just wish there were more people like Humphrey Lyttelton in the world, and if a few more people read this book, maybe there would be.
on 28 December 2014
A great read from a great British institution. He writes this book as though he was having a conversation with the reader. The anecdotes about his time at Eton, his career in the Army, his long life and his love of jazz and also his long standing chairmanship of I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue. It is a great buy for any Humph fan.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2009
A gift from my sister to my husband on a "significant" birthday. I wasn't sure, but she hit the spot and he's loved it. He reads it and chuckles. What more could you want as an endorsement?
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2011
There are no chapters, only a few sub-headings but not to worry. This is so easy to read and so entertaining you will want to read it one sitting anyway!

In between anecodotes and opinions there is a life story of sorts which I found fascinating.

Recommended.
on 12 May 2009
easy going happy friendly chatty thoughts. If you liked the others,you'll like this: no side, no grief, funny and entertaining.
CH
on 27 July 2014
What an entertaining book from an intelligent man. Lyttelton starts with a thought and follows on through the whole book with his connected thoughts meandering through his life. A shortish book, but very interesting.
on 31 July 2010
I am an admirer of Humph and I was really looking forward to reading this book and enjoying his reminiscences and anecdotes. The book seem to run out of steam and I found myself speed reading the final fifty pages. His reminiscences were meandering and disconnected and amusing anecdotes were thin on the ground - maybe my expectations were too high.
on 23 June 2013
Bought this for a Christmas stocking filler for my stepdaughter, who shares her father's quick and very dry sense of humour. Dad's waiting for her to finish it so he can borrow for himself.