VINE VOICEon 30 December 2009
How accurate or complete this telling of Dawn Annandale's time running an escort agency is I do not know. Whether she has made the right choices for herself, her children, and those around her, is something only they will know with any certainty - certainly different people reading Dawn's books will have their own views (and many people will pre-judge without even reading them). However, what I can say is that this book, Call Me Madam, is very well written (far better in my opinion than Call Me Elizabeth), is a compelling read, and tells a side of the escort business that isn't normally seen in films, TV dramas, books about life in the police force etc, in that the author describes how she tried to create a safer, drug-free, crime-free (although isn't living off immoral earnings still on the statute books?) , more human environment for her escorts to work in. As a result it's more Woman's Weekly than Cracker in tone (this is not the tale of a junkie working the streets to fund her habit), but it is believable, compelling and very readable.

People who find this book interesting might also be interested in Girl in Blue, the tale of a woman police officer, which (as well as other subjects), like Call Me Madam, describes how different police officers deal with prostitution, some showing compassion and humanity, others not doing so at all. Girl in Blue is a slightly darker read, but it is interesting to see two books, both auto-biographical but from completely different angles, describing the same examples of police behaviour.
on 5 May 2008
After reading Call Me Elizabeth I was pleased to find the sequal to this compelling book. Call Me Madam is truly amazing, well written, honest and frank. Never having been involved in this world I was horrified, saddened and amazed by the sheer determination of this woman who would go through virtually anythign for the sake of her kids. She's a marvel of a mother and whilst I cant say that I would have made the same choices, I admire her courage and the passion she has for her children.
on 28 January 2009
I enjoyed Call Me Elizabeth but with this one I really did feel that Madam protesteth too much. How can moving five times in as many years be 'best for the children', which is the book's mantra? They go from the first place (un-named) to Rochester, to Sutton-on-Sea, to Folkestone and then to Spain. How unsettling is that for a family of six children? Plus, she gives up a day job for an evening job manning phones for her agency...surely the evening's the time you spend with your kids?

Then there's David, who won't travel 300 miles from London to Lincs to keep up the relationship but appears to be with her now she's in Spain..

Not convincing. Not convinced.
on 13 July 2016
This book did arrive quickly but it is certainly not in the good condition the description gave. The spine is very badly damaged and some pages bent/folded over. I would have preferred to pay a little more for a better copy, and would have done had this had a more accurate description.
on 8 October 2011
This book is the sequel to They call me Elizabeth, which i thought was really good.
Thats why i wanted to read this book , to find out what happens to "Elizabeth " once she decided to quit as a call girl or escort as she might prefer.
I wasnt disappointed, its every bit as good as the first one, i couldnt put it down.
on 31 May 2008
Picked this book up at the airport, thought it would be light reading for my holiday - how wrong was I !! Read this, was amazed by it then read Dawn's first book, Call Me Elizabeth. Even more sad, amazing, emotional and heartbreaking. I admire Dawn for having the balls to face up to her responsibilities. She says several times that she caused the situation she was in. The enormous debt and her bad choice of husband. Well, yes, maybe she should accept some blame but definately not all. Dawn had a terrible childhood. She was unloved and neglected by her mother, sexually abused by her father. She grew up without the security, love and stability that all children deserve and need. She married quickly and had kids, was abandoned by her first husband, the second was an alcoholic. Desperate for her own safe happy family, she had six children in 10 years, worked as a secretary and saw her husband sink further in alcoholism. Debt piled up and finally the bailiffs knocked on the door. Determined that her kids should not know what was happening or have their lives shattered further she joined an escort agency as a way of making lots of money quickly. What she went through humbled me. Made me feel inadequate as a mother myself. Call Me Madam is about amazing love and strength and I'm not sure that I would be able to cope the way Dawn did faced with all the hurdles she has overcome over the years. She started her own escort agency and faced even more problems. I am in awe of Dawn and consider myself blessed that I have loving wonderful parents and have never faced any of the problems Dawn has. I only hope she has now found happiness.
on 15 December 2012
I purchased "Call me Elizabeth" interesting then when I googled the woman a lot of news was about her false allegation of rape in order to delay court proceedings! She had mentioned she had been raped in her book her second book was on its way to me.

I must I have found it extremely boring, disbeliefs and more importantly wholly not possible in what she is saying!! she runs an advert in a local paper no website no photos of the girls and runs a postage stamp advert and that is it she is apparently inundated with phone calls and girls scrambling to work at her agency!! RUBBISH!!

She ran a mortgage 5 private school fees all on running an agency from a small advert!! lies yes as a working girl she could this as in her previous book but doing this no.

I don't believe her and also believe she is a manipulative messed up woman to this day!

I have not finished the book as of yet as it is all a bit too far fetched.

If she was doing so well how come she had the landlord on her back after her first book!

Her next book should be titled " The whole truth, and nothing but the truth"
on 4 August 2014
Fantastic. As good as her first book. Couldn't put it down from start to finish. Would recommend both of Dawn Annandales books
on 13 July 2012
Very good book, great follow on from Call me Elizabeth, easy read and full of interest. Would recommend reading this book.
on 26 April 2014
Kept my interest as it is a true story recognising the lengths some mothers have to go to to keep their family together