on 12 October 2017
This is a big aid for you....well it was for me. I've had the black dog before and still I fell into a worse one. 18 months and we all know the signs in perhaps different intensities. Rumination, isolation, lethargy, n
Hating yourself, seeing no end. None of us want this but that wherewithal seems to have deserted us, doesn't it? We just don't know how to break out. We've no energy. Well that first step at helping yourself is in here. You map your energy level against your well being level on a chart over hours or days. It will help you to notice little changes in yourself especially when you've taken up on one of the tips( even as trivial as moving chairs?). Don't be put off, take those first few steps and you will see and FEEL that change.
I started with small steps and had reverse days I promise but I've turned that corner and I want you to as well.
I'm a 59 year old retired maths teacher so just an ordinary guy who felt lost. To start I'd had the book but not got into it. I got a pad out and just started to write "how do you feel?" On the top of the page. It was hard but in the end some words arrows and balloons followed. The book enabled me to put a framework around me. Help steps if you will. My mood improved and I renewed my golf membership not having played once in a year. I played and was shattered but there was a change in the offing. Just changes of scenery...walk to library, go to cinema, golf restarted...the journey is part of the process. In time I played over 30 times in two months. I've so much energy now. The transformation is enormous. I've booked golf holiday, organised my finances, got my home shipshape and I'm on a healthy eating plan(joe wicks). I've lost over 30 lbs but it all started with a few small steps so talk to yourself and congratulate yourself for reading this. Next step...buy it...and start to use it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck.
on 28 March 2011
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews here and was not disappointed. I've got quite a collection of self-help books, and I think it's safe to say that this is the first one to have made a real, noticeable impact on my life. As someone who has experienced repeated bouts of depression, I was getting really fed up with my labile moods and wanted to take ownership of them. The biggest thing for me with this book is that the author has both personal experience of mental illness AND is also a doctor (and former neurosurgeon), so is writing from a very well informed position. There's no airy-fairy fluff in here - just good, easy to read, practical advice.

Dr Miller encourages the user to 'map' their moods at regular intervals. It's so simple and hardly rocket science, but this simple action has made me far more aware of my moods and, more importantly, the triggers that get me down and also what lifts my mood. With this book, I now feel that I'm more in charge of my moods, rather than letting them dictate how I feel. One caveat: as with any self-help book it's no magic wand. When I finished the book I felt on top of the world but fell off the bandwagon a few weeks later because I'd thought "ok, that's it done and dusted, the book's read and I'm all better". I now realise that my depression isn't going to vansh overnight - it'll take longterm investment from me. But with this book, I know I can dip and out of it whenever I need to - I'm not letting it out of my sight!

It may be clicheed, but this book really CAN make a difference - I've been raving about it to anyone who'll listen!
on 27 April 2012
I believe with this book by Doctor Miller even in hell (where we all have been) you will never abandon hope. I have had more shrinks, councilors, drugs, a full course of CBT and many, many books on my depression, than you can shake a stick at. This book is a true life saver. Please don't be surprised if you find yourself dancing around your living room with your stereo on gas mark 11, playing Carlos Santana track Smooth, and grinning your silly head off. Smooth I've designated as her anthem.

So many thanks Dr Miller

Best reagrds

Gerard
on 15 February 2013
this gives me a much better way then any scoring charts i have been given to judge and record my moods. it also gives practical ways of finding out what causes them and ideas how to manage them - a book that you can keep dipping into to keep on track too. Dr miller has a real empathy for those of us who like her have to manage mood swings.
on 11 March 2018
Hard to understand
on 1 August 2017
This book was recommended by a psychotherapist and it has been useful in working through moods and mood management with her.
on 25 January 2017
Interesting book.
on 14 June 2012
Really good book and much easier to read than others. I particularly liked the fact it is written by a woman - so many are male authors! I found this really reassuring to read and it gives a sense of normality, hope and optimism. I was put off by the first few activities, but continued reading and was glad I did! At a time when reading anything at all was really difficult, this was a good starting point. It is sensible and useful, but not patronising. I would highly recommend it.
on 10 August 2017
Fantastic book helps with mind and body! Totally recommend it for anyone with depression or any mental health problems.
on 11 February 2017
excellent resource for mangaging your low moods.