on 10 January 2015
very very very boxed opinions of aspergers/autism. i bought this for my 6 year old who was hoping to understand his 8 year old aspergers brother a little better. almost none of these scenarios fitted my son. almost none of the emotions or anything. for example, it does go on a bit about not wanting to be touched-the opposite is true of my child-ihe is overly touchy feely. the book talked about hating change-again-not a problem for us. it touched upon tantrums-my son has never had a tantrum in his life. its too stereotypical to really fit anyone. if you know a child that has ALL the classic symptoms of autism and NO individual traits WHATSOEVER, then buy them this book. otherwise, avoid. terrible let down.
on 15 February 2015
I was a quite disappointed with this book. There are very few books relating to Aspergers or ASD for supporting siblings and thought I'd give this a try. The book is rather flimsy, but considering it is designed as a 'work book' I suppose this is to be expected. The pages are designed as work sheets which can be photo copied or used straight in the book if you wish. Work sheets are horrid things at the best of times and rarely appeal any way. The quality of the illustrations are poor, a little dated and look like rushed badly rough drawn cartoons and not particularly appealing. There are some strange examples of traits children may display,(these may be relevant to some but not all children with this condition) which having a son with aspergers ( who displays many typical Autistic traits) I understand what a diverse wealth of traits can be displayed which are not applicable to all. ie my son does not ever throw his food all over the place for example. But for this and other examples to be included in the illustrations as if all children display the same behaviours may confuse a younger sibling. I understand it is more of a guidance and that not all of the characteristics apply as each individual differs yet we are able to stereotype due to common traits but it does pigeon hole very much so. I think I would not use it as a workbook because it presents too many leading choices to a young child that may be irrelevant to their situation. But i would use it as a base and pick and choose and reuse any relevant ideas and re draw my own work sheets that relate better to my own children's experiences (most probably better quality cartoons and in a more user friendly way!) Even better, I think I would use the ideas to create more user friendly activities and games.
on 5 July 2013
I bought this to use with my 5 and 6 year old daughters, to help them with their feelings about their older brother, who has Aspergers.

It is a good work book, with gentle ideas and positive ways of making them feel less alone. It is also a reasonable price - I have seen other publications 'cashing on' on these issues and this is definitely not the case with this work book. I would recommend.
on 4 April 2013
This is a brilliant workbook which I originally bought for my daughter to understand her sister but I ended up buying another one so they could both complete it about each other which shows that we really are all different!
on 8 October 2010
This is an excellent book to use with siblings to help them understand and talk about their sibling with ASD.
on 21 August 2013
good for ages stated would def recommend to any family with autism good workbook my daughter enjoyed doing puzzles and picturea
on 28 August 2014
Useful resource, but I think a bit too advanced for my six year old. Will probably use this with him when he is a bit older.
on 20 February 2015
great for little ones to learn about why their sibling is different
on 29 November 2014