on 10 January 2012
***NO SPOILERS SAFE TO READ****

Okie Dokie I love the house of night, they have action, tension, suspence, in a nutshell everything. Although this one takes a on a totally different feel to the others!
Firstly, I must say that I have found myself engrossed with the Stevie Rae (need to have at least read past tempted to understand), and Zoey is now in the picture, literally not shattered anymore. However I did find myself slightly annoyed at Zoey because of how she dealt with the previous situation, or the fact she didn't react like a normal person AKA MOURN and by hormonal!

Anyway overall I really enjoyed the story especially because now we as readers have the opportunity to get inside Jack's, Kalona, Stark, Stevie Rae + 'birdboy' I love adrophite!, aswell as Zoey which is highly refreshing! I due believe the story truly picks up towards the end of novel but thats the same with my of the house of night!
Very intrigued to read DESTINED, which is now happily waiting for me to dive right into - although their is an alot of 'bullpoopie' ready inside those pages to deal with (I also love Stevie Rae!)
As always praise to the authors can't wait to read on, and then continue into the next novel HIDDEN! Beautiful as ever...
on 30 December 2011
When I began reading Awakened, I could barely remember what had happened in the previous book. It had been that long since reading it that I was now going into this book quite blind. As the story began to unfold though, it did all start coming back to me slowly. That is one of the good things about this series. Even though there are sometimes large spaces of time between books, each new one recaps on things that have happened before so that you can't forget anything important.

As with the rest of the House of Night series, Awakened is told from multiple points of view. As Zoey is the main character of the series, I would have preferred for her to have more chapters but it is also nice to realise what is happening with everyone else, especially as they aren't always together. This being said, I think it would probably have been better if other characters only got a chapter or two, instead of taking up whole chunks of the book. The series started with Zoey and what was happening to her and I think focusing on her would really bring the series back to being as good as it was to begin with.

The thing that I was happiest to see in Awakened was Zoey and Stark being back together. I loved Stark from the minute he arrived in the series and now he gets a much bigger part in the story overall. As Zoey and Stark have been through a lot together and have experienced things that no one else can understand, they share a very strong bond and I really loved how you could tell that they were now extremely close. As Zoey and Stark have been spending time on the Isle of Skye with Queen Sgiach, the story takes a very interesting turn when Zoey is given the opportunity of a life time. More and more is explained about Queen Sgiach and the things she believes in/ what she follows and I would have loved to have known more about this.

Due to the multiple narrators, the pacing of Awakened is all over the place. One character could have a lot going on and their storyline be very exciting but then another character would come in who has less going on. For me, this made the pacing really hit and miss throughout. I don't mind a change in pace, in fact, I think it's a good thing but here it was too much all of the time. Just when something would start to get a bit faster paced, the character narrating would switch and the pace would change to extremely slow or sad etc.

One of my biggest problems with this book (and the series...kind of) are the references to pop culture. I don't mind a couple in a book but Awakened is full of them. Having this in a book dates it very quickly and I think this is a massive negative thing for the series as a whole. There are other YA books that will be able to stand the test of time because they don't mention things that people will have forgotten about in a few years time. One mention that really bugged me was about Glee. Ok, Glee is extremely popular but the mention seemed really over the top and it wasn't needed at all. Considering the characters are always busy fighting off evil etc, when would they even have time to watch Glee?

Although there were some pretty big things that I didn't like about this book, there was also a lot I did like. Awakened seems to me like the book that sets up everything that is about to happen, a filler book. Each main character has a lot going on and is preparing to face down Neferet, hopefully once and for all. Towards the end of the book, everything began to get really exciting as smaller plot lines began to be revealed, not to mention the twist at the end. I really am hoping that Destined has some massive shocks in-store for House of Night fans.
on 3 November 2011
Still a dreadful teen vampire novel series which I and my 15 yr old daughter have got hooked on. Not very well written, (though they have now got to grips with 1st person narrative), and they are clearly dragging out the plot line for as long as possible. Having said that more fool us for buying the 167th in the series and we have to admit that we have become a caught up by Raphaim, and a couple of the characters, so it's not at all bad.
As an adult don't bother unless you have a teenage daughter and you want something to gossip about. (Probably not suitable for 13 and under due to some sexual content. There are lots of much better written teen fantasy novels - try the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Mar or the Mortal Intruments Quartet by Cassandra Clare. Even Twilight is much better written. Seriously. Bit annoyed they've dropped the coloured side pages to match the covers...that was a key reason for buying them.
on 31 May 2011
I liked Twilight more than I had initially expected and so when a friend bought me "Marked" for Christmas, I started reading straight away - despite it being YA and me being 30 :D
I really enjoy the HON series, they are fun, light hearted and they're on the right side of edgy - not so censored like Twilight!
HOWEVER, I really think that the bonds/oaths/links/consorts/warriors/imprints etc etc, are getting WAY too confusing. In a way, I feel like the authors just keep going "Ooh, I've thought of ANOTHER way that we can make them be joined!" It's just getting a bit daft in places and I'm starting to veer away from it all a bit, I feel like I'm really reading kids books now, whereas before I enjoyed the fun of the series.
I also think that it's being overdone - I've heard that there are going to be twelve books in total, and I just feel that it's a bit of overkill - the authors are dragging out the story by putting in more and more links and imprints and ways in which vamps/humans/raven mockers can be joined. Like the Stark/Kalona thing, which I think is just ridiculous - it's like, you think you're on solid ground and then along comes another "loophole" where the bad guys can get to the good guys through whatever daft idea hasn't yet been used.

And don't get me started on the use of the word "bullpoopie" - oh dear...

BUT all in all, a fun series.
on 29 October 2015
I have read the first 7, and to be honest I kept buying them just to continue the story as I really enjoyed the concept. However, it got quite dull towards the last few books so I don't feel any need to continue reading them.
on 22 January 2011
what a shame i have read all the series so far and have enjoyed them all UNTIL now,unfortunatly nothing happened until you get to the end which sadly i could not wait for.
dont get me wrong it is still worth reading as there is some good lines,however i feel that maybe pc cast should now finish the series and write something else.
in this book there is an awful lot of love chat which is ok if you want to read a romance novel but i felt there should have been more action. will i download the next book on my kindle {which was my best xmas present ever fab fab fab}im not so sure.
on 6 April 2017
So so love these books. Not my normal taste in books but so pleased I came across them . This book has had me in tears more time then I would like to admit XX
on 18 January 2011
I just want to start by saying that I love the House Of Night series of books. However this one left me feeling a bit disappointed as not a lot seemed to happen. I was hoping for Zoey and co to have a dramatic showdown with Neferet but that didn't happen,(but then neither did much else!) I also see that there are at least 2 more books planned for this series but I hope they don't drag it out so long that they ruin something which started out so well. I will still get the next book in the series but hopefully there will be a bit more action!
on 22 January 2012
Zoey is settling in at the House of Night finishing school and adapting to her new powers, when human teenagers turn up dead. Could someone at the school be responsible? Zoey starts investigating, leading her into a very dangerous situation involving the ghosts of dead fledgling vampyres. But she finds a new friend in a human cop who helps her when she needs it most and someone she trusted and respected turns out to be a rather frightening adversary.
on 28 June 2011
Started this series with my 14yr old daughter last summer..and we are both now hooked.
Eagerly awaiting every release date. Forget Bella and Edward.
These are addictive, funny and very moving.
Probably wouldn't recommend it for younger readers though as some bits are a little 'close to the mark'.(pardon the pun)
Start with Marked and be prepared to be glued to the sofa until you have finished the series so far!

Awakened (House of Night)