Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2008
I nearly didn't buy this book after reading the review from SciFi Geek, but being a great Stargate fan and having read the rest of the Stargate books i decided to give it a go. And i'm very glad i did. It could be that i am slightly O'Neill dense but i found some of the other book's very confusing with complicated names and complicated plots.
This book however reminded me very much of the TV series. The story is not to complicated, the four main characters are all involved, there arn't to many additional characters and having met some of them before i found i could picture scenes much better. As for SciFi Geek being able to work out who two of the characters were straight off, well all i can say is that i must be O'Neill dense!!!!!!!!
on 4 March 2008
I think "Sci Fi Geek" just made a lucky guess!

It was because of that review that I decided to read the beginning of the book again. I got to the introduction of the two new characters in question and only because I knew the plot and what I was looking for I could see a familiarity in one of the characters... I then went on for a few more chapters... and then a few more; nowhere did I find a hint as to who they really were until it was actually stated - and this time I knew what I was looking for! I may sound a bit vague, but I don't want to spoil the plot for those who have yet to read it.

If you are the type to try and guess the plot at every turn of the page, and you turn out to be right, you won't prove it until much later on, so no harm done! Though trying to constantly guess the plot is like watching a film with my mother - "why are they doing that?", "is he the killer?", "I wonder if he's a double agent!" and on and on and on and.......

Read this book as it comes, page by page, and don't allow the mystery of characters to spoil it - if you let yourself flow with the book the mystery enhances the read.

Do not let Sci Fi Geek's review put you off reading this book. I have read all the SG1 and Atlantis books that have been published so far, and this by no means comes at the bottom of the list - as you can see I awarded it 4 stars.

I found the story easy to get into, with a well painted introduction of new allies and their background, whilst moving the story on at a reasonable pace. James Swallow puts just the right level of mystery behind the new characters, and before the (average) reader gets to find out who they are, there are other faces introduced into the mix, again with an air of mystery.... then the true plot begins to unfold, but it is by no means slow or boring getting to this point. There is plenty of action and tension throughout with a reasonable interplay of the main characters. The story concludes well, rather than petering out, yet leaves enough for a possible sequel (please Mr Swallow).

My only real criticism of this book, that's why only 4 stars, is that the SG1 characters do not jump off the page like some other SG1 novels. In other novels I have heard O'Neill's voice as I read and actually laughed out loud at some of his sardonic one liners. Although James Swallow captures the essence of the characters, he doesn't quite animate them as well as other authors have.

That said, it is a good plot, the action is well paced and it follows a very "realistic" SG1 theme. If you like SG1 I think you'll enjoy this book.
on 3 November 2011
I think I must have read a different book to the other reviewers as I thought this was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! In fact I don't have anything negative to say about it at all :-) It was my first Stargate book (I'm a huge fan of all the series) and reading this has prompted me to buy a couple more - I'm currently halfway through SG-1 Roswell - and that's also FANTASTIC :-) ... So I'd recommend you buy this book and draw your own conclusions - Happy reading :-)
on 26 June 2013
Action, intrigue and mystery weaved within classic SG1 characters and interactions including Kinsey butting heads with Jack, that never goes old.
on 20 January 2008
I'm a big fan of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. I've enjoyed all the other novels and have give them either a 4 or 5 rating but this one only deserves a 4 and even that 4th star is hesitantly.

It took me so long to get into. The only reason i finished the book is because i've read all the others.

James Swallow clearly wanted to give two characters a mysterious feel and tried not to let the reader know who they were. I say try because this ultimately failed. I knew who these two characters were a few pages after they're first mentioned in the book. And that was without skimming through other pages. Maybe that was just me though.
on 29 July 2014