Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2006
How could anyone who saw themselves as a culinary whizz in the kitchen not own the bible of cooking literature, 'Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book'? Well, actually, I happened to be one of those people until I stumbled upon this beauty. I now realise how sacrilegiously ignorant I have been for the past few years with regards to the most basic of chef skills, from how to make homemade mayonnaise to how to concoct a winter-warming Irish stew. Not only does Mrs Beeton boast encyclopedic expertise to make Nigella Lawson look like an apprentice in comparison, but her dishes are not only relevant for today - they are imperative. Without this book, we stand perilously close to losing the rustic essence of British cookery. Granted, broiled kidneys may not be of palatable preference to the common reader, but it at least provides an insight into the Victorian world of the kitchen. Beeton stands as a surrogate mother, with prim and proper advice about how to keep utensils "scrupulously clean" and to "clear as you go, muddle makes more muddle". With an attractive cover and enlarged type, I found this edition particularly useful.
on 7 February 2009
Having loaned my original copy to a friend who then lost it?? I decided to replace.

The book is just a photocopy of an earlier version and is totally useless as a cook book, apart from being a paperback, it is far too small.

Maybe I was too use to my original copy and my old Larousse Gastronomique.

My next purchase will be a working hardbacked version as per the original.
on 8 December 2010
The cover is the only part of this book that is easy to read. The contents are a poor photocopy of the original and the print is far too small and splodgy. I had to send it back as unfit for purpose.
on 1 June 2010
Lots of recipes I remember from my childhood, with lots of information on how things used to be done at meal times that bring smiles and memories back.
on 14 January 2015
Christmas present for a genuine French chef/restaurant owner - by request - and he was delighted
on 7 February 2015