Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 28 March 2011
Having recently decided it would be interesting to learn a bit about the various different breeds of cattle, I wanted a simple and straightforward introduction- and this book exactly fit the bill. Each of the 44 breeds covered in this book has its own double page spread, with one page devoted to facts about the breed, and the other page given over to a colour photo.

Aside from a reference to the horns on Viking helmets (a popular myth but not actually true), as far as I can judge, the text seems accurate and provides a decent background and introduction for each breed. Most of the photos are of a decent quality, although a couple of them were blurry or low resolution. Also, confusingly, the text describes the Simmental breed as having a white head, but the cow picture is completely black.

These nitpicks aside, this is a good little book overall, and will make a handy reference guide for anyone interested in learning the basics about cattle breeds. On the strength of this, I would certainly consider adding Know Your Pigs to my collection as well.
on 30 September 2013
We used have cows but they were the usual varieties. I was cycling past our country lanes and spotted some breeds I didn't recognise. So tomorrow I will be out cow spotting. I thought they maybe they were chamois, but they seem more orange. the book will comfirm the breed hopefully. Also I go to a City Farm near me and they have Red Polls, and it was interested to read about their history and how rare they are. This book is also just a nice book to flick through and enjoy the cows. It would be funny if the book had a Smell circle, because cows do stink a lot. That I do remember
on 14 September 2017
Wonderful little book. Clear and well illustrated. Would suit any animal lover who has an interest in our farm animals. They do a series with books about other animals etc. Beautifully produced.
on 27 December 2010
I bought this for a Maasai friend who came to work in the UK and who wanted a vocabulary to talk about the cows he was seeing to his cattle-keeping family back home. He's overjoyed, and his copy is being passed around already. I would have said this clear and concise guide was ideal for young people and amateurs who want to know more about British bovines, but you don't get much more expert than an East Africa pastoralist, so it clearly has wide appeal.
on 2 December 2016
A good little book to use as an introduction to cattle and small enough to carry easily if you are out and about. Not a great deal of detail and sometimes difficult to distinguish between the different breeds, but good value for the money.
on 14 March 2016
Arrived quickly and as described
on 10 March 2013
I great pocket guide for use when walking in the countryside and meadows. You could be surprised by the varieties.
Have bought other 'Know your .... ' in the series
on 23 August 2016
Great little book. Very informative.
on 4 April 2016