on 6 March 2017
Brilliant book!
on 13 August 2011
I have just finished reading the Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book by Dee Blick. Actually, that's not true. The fact is, I have just finished reading the Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book for the third time - and I only got the book a couple of weeks ago.

My method of reading a business book is that as I read the book, if there are tips and advice I think I can apply to my business, I turn a page corner over. Then when I am done - I go through the turned page and turn them into ToDo tasks which I action over the course of a few months or weeks. However, when I got to the end of Dee Blicks book, I found that the majority of pages were turned over. So I re-read it, trying to find the key elements which I can apply. You know what? I didn't know where to start, there were that many.

The fact is, this is one of the best Business Books I have read. From the very first page (and I mean the first page - before all the copyright and print edition nonsense), its all good stuff. Everything you need to know about marketing, selling, branding, and growing a small business.

Subjects include a Marketing Master class (what you are selling, why, pricing), using strong sales words in documents and proposals, Sales letters (including lumpy sales letters), newsletters, turning bin-able sales correspondence into must keep and respond items, branding, blogging, on-line promotion, exhibitions, and lots more - it's all covered. On every page there are ideas, backed up with examples of what won't work, what will, and what will work in different situations. There are hints, tips, tricks, examples and more advice than you could possibly imagine is in one book.

Which leads me to a problem. With most books, I have between 1 and 20 ideas to improve and grow my business - easy to add to my Do list. After reading this book, I have at least 100 (if not more) - so where to start?!? So I am going to re-read it slowly, a page a week, and I am going to implement all the ideas I have highlighted, one at a time. I have no doubt that these improvements will drive my business forward and generate even more sales.

If you need just one marketing book that covers it all, buy this book.

But if you can only buy one business book which will help grow your business, you should still buy this book: the Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book by Dee Blick.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
22 Comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2013
I bought this book on impulse, as a consequence of the huge number of positive reviews on Amazon. I'm glad I did. It's an excellent marketing guide, full of practical tips and advice. Perfect for small and medium sized companies. Importantly, it's a marketing book written this side of "the pond", which made it particularly relevant to me. I particularly liked the 'Continuum of Behavior' theory which spells out in simple language the buying behavior of prospects - whatever you are selling (whether it be products or services). I am already putting what I have learnt from this book into practice.
As a business coach, I read a lot of books about marketing and, with so many five star reviews, I couldn't ignore this book.

Strangely it has taken me nearly three years to finish reading it which says something about the book.

What I Don't Like

First, the title. The word Ultimate is too big a claim. Is this book really "the best there will ever be"? No it isn't so it's immediately promising more than it delivers and that's a bad marketing example to set in these days of cynical customers and over-inflated claims from suppliers.

Second, I feel the book is weak conceptually. It lacks an organising framework and a big idea.

Third, it lacks surprises. The reason why it has taken so long to read is that I've read it all before, elsewhere. Every time I search on Amazon for "marketing" books, I'm reminded this exists and sometimes I'll go go back and read some more, only to drop it for something more interesting.

Fourth, I don't remember it having much to say about marketing to existing customers and building customer lifetime value. I highlight interesting sections and there's nothing on this vital topic.

What I Like

The book is written in an easy to read, conversational tone. It's not dry, stuffy or boring even though it's a big book.

The author sensibly brings in other experts in areas she feels should be included in a marketing book but where her own knowledge is insufficient for the standard of book she's aiming for.

Third, it is very practical. I can understand why other reviewers have found plenty to do after reading this book. It includes examples of successful direct mail letters, one of her favourite techniques to reach targeted customers and, coincidentally one of mine.

Its balance between scope and depth is well judged. Marketing is a huge topic and lengthy books can be written about tight specialisms
The book covers many of the main techniques for finding first time customers in enough detail to be helpful.

This is a good book on marketing for small businesses and owners can expect to gain insights from reading it unless they've already read extensively. It's not the ultimate marketing book and nor is it the only book you need. I feel Duct Tape Marketing Revised and Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide is a better structured book for getting new customers and Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition adds vital knowledge to increase subsequent business from customers.

About my book reviews - My goal is to help you to find the best business advice in book form. I aim to be a tough reviewer because the main cost of a book is not the money to buy it but the time needed to read it and absorb the key messages. 4 stars means this is a good to very good book. I will respond to any comment you make about my review.

Paul Simister, business coach
on 24 September 2012
For people new to marketing this book is great. Dee's advice is spot on for small business owners looking to increase awareness for their company and generate new sales interest.
on 30 March 2013
excellent, invaluable for new business, very detailed and well written.

perfect aide to anyone needing advice on starting new business.
on 24 July 2013
I decided to give this book a read after reading the other reviews and I can't recommend it enough. Whether you're already established or just starting up this book is a must read.

With books being so easy to publish it can be difficult to find a genuine well written book these days. There are plenty of so called 'experts' out there trying to get you to part with your hard earned cash. I've read plenty that have left me thinking I could've written them myself.

Dee is genuinely respected in her field and has plenty of experience as a successful marketer.

This book is easy to read and understand and is full of helpful tips with plenty of real examples that you can put to use for your own business.

I can't wait to read her next book.
on 15 November 2011
I've been running a small business for over ten years and my shelves are stacked high with "How To" books, including many on marketing. If only this book had been around when I started, I'd have saved a lot of money and, I very much expect, made a load more by applying what Dee has put into this book.

If you run a small business, you really have to buy this book. For once, there's simply loads of practical advice that you can put into action straight away, starting with chapter 1. In fact, the first chapter is worth much more than the price of the book, and the same applies to other chapters too, with some great, easily digested and inspiring ideas.

Everything you need is here. There's no academic jargon, just easy to soak up, plain English, which you can really put to use to make quick, significant and effective changes to marketing your business. Dee encourages readers to make marketing a part of the everyday fabric of the organisation, and to be adopted by everyone in the business, be that one, five or fifty.

The book contains real life case studies and examples. This isn't theory - this is stuff you can apply in your own business and the ideas in this book really work. It doesn't matter what your business does, this book will apply to you and your business. And as a marketing professional myself, I have to put my hands up and say this book is, for once, what it says on the tin; the ultimate small business marketing book. Don't pass this one by - this is the one book your business deserves.
on 30 November 2012
I think this book is a great introduction for someone who's starting their own business or someone who's got a 1 or 2 man band. I've run a number of small businesses in my time and whilst I did find some of the information in this book useful I also found parts of it far too basic for me to learn anything from. I've picked up about half a dozen useful hints that I'll use but really it is an "introduction" to marketing rather than "the ultimate" book.

If you're new to running our business or your idea of marketing is to create a website and business cards and hope people find you then this will be invaluable and I'd strongly recommend. If you've already cut your teeth on marketing and have a reasonable understanding of it then this may prove too basic
on 28 June 2015
This will be the second book I have read by Dee, and wont be my last. Dee's way of writing is so clear & helpful, and you cannot fail to understand her practical tips for your business.
The book is broken down into chunks of information, and supported by industry experts who give their own advice - it's like having many expert opinions in one handy book.

This is a must read if you are like me, and trying to grow your business & build your knowledge of marketing.

Highly recommended.

I have also had the pleasure of contacting Dee via social media - Lovely women! An absolute inspiration for women in business! #girlpower