Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 July 2011
This book is a must buy for any business owner who wants to learn about the different marketing options available and understand how to use each properly.

Make notes as you read and then start implementing changes. I loved it and have already seen a difference in the results generated
on 8 July 2011
Just what I needed I have a poor attention span for theory and high level stategy and this book nails it for me, with real life business examples I can relate to sample sales letters and lots of stuff on social media, the web etc.

If you have an SME this is the book for you bang up to date and on the money, actually entertaining too!!
on 4 October 2011
This book is truly a valuable resource. Dee presents a great wealth of information on all aspects important to small businesses. The tips are shared in a non-technical and very usable way. The examples included are also extremely helpful. I will refer back to this book often!
on 21 June 2012
In Chapter 1 the book starts by making two claims:

1)the sales function pushes you to buy and marketing adds value and builds long term relationships
2)that people often think that marketing is just about advertising and promotion.

Then it offers you "The Most Powerful Marketing Tool Ever" and calls it "The Continuum of Behaviour."

The reality is that this tool was created by Elmo St. Lewis, a salesman who wrote a theory on "How Advertising Works". When Lewis' introduced his original theory in 1898, he used the acronym AID but in 1900 he modified it to the version so well known today as "AIDA", by adding "Action".

The next 3 chapters are about sales tools (sales messages, sales letters etc) and the final three are on promoting yourself on the internet. So, according to this book marketing is all about sales and promotion!

Certainly Blick is good at:

* plaigarism on things she should know about
* getting other "experts" to contribute on things she does not know about (Blogging, Social Media and Search Engines)
* using powerful words to sell her book

but I am not sure she is good about offering much of value or discussing how small business should use the real tools of marketing that she does not cover.
2525 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2013
I thought Dee Blick's first book "Powerful Marketing on a Shoestring Budget" was excellent but I think this one is even better!

Even a few pages in, when reading the Product and Service Review Masterclass, it gave me tons of new ideas on how to rename some of the services I offer to make them way more appealing.

I love all the examples given which are really inspiring, especially the examples of sales letters. My mum also read the book and thinks the Continuum of Behaviour is a complete revelation! It's finally got me into writing a newsletter which I've been thinking about doing for ages as I now realise how important it is. I've worked my way through the book, and continually refer to it for reference.

Dee is a perfect example of how good marketing works for a small business. I recommended the book to a friend and she loved it too and I'd definitely urge anyone who's just set up a business or is not very confident about their marketing skills to buy it for good, clear, jargon free advice on how to grow your business.
on 17 July 2013
Good read with very practical, useful advice. Not too heavy to read either. Has been sitting on my desk right next to my keyboard since I bought it - and it's opened EVERY DAY!
on 21 June 2016
Really good read. I learnt a lot.
on 31 July 2013
The book has great advise for marketing which enabled my company to expand and has benefited from the purchase of this book
on 16 July 2016
average enough book
on 10 February 2016
The book arrived well within the time given. It is in excellent condition, and the fact that it is made from a good quality paper certainly help. It is very informative and easy to read