Customer reviews

Tales from a Travelling Mum
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2010
Through her effortless writing style Alice Griffin took me on a journey through foreign climes with her evocative writing recreating the sights and smells of the places that she and her family visited. The blue skies of Greece, the olive grove of Extremadura or the heat and humidity of central Paris were all expertly conveyed so that I found it difficult to put the book down and managed to finish reading it in 2 sittings!

For those who think that travelling with a baby would be a 'no no'. I would urge you to read this book. Not only is it full of sound practical advice neatly contained in little 'tips' boxes scattered through the text, it also transports you to a world devoid of materialistic gain where all that matters is happiness and contentment. This truly was an inspirational read which made me want to cast off the shackles of everyday life and head to the olive groves and orange orchards of hotter climes!
on 12 March 2010
Ms Griffin has a way with words, she can place you on a greek beach or struggling with nappies in a hot car but more importantly she hands you a virtual baby and makes you think about how to travel light. Even if, like me, you don't have toddlers, Alice Griffin has some really important messages. You don't need an actual baby to travel, a light and carefree heart, a backpack and a certain amount of childlike delight are the only things you need and if you happen to have a baby and a dog along for the ride they can only make the journey better.
The only warning I'll give about this book is that it will make you dream of beaches, beer and warm moonlight walks through cobbled village streets, all I wanted to do was to find my passport and go. A lovely little book, read it and beware, you could find yourself with a sudden urge to break free (or have a baby).
on 10 March 2010
I am interested in anything to do with travelling with children, having a website dedicated to just that. I read this book in a day and a half, and got quite hooked on what Alice was going to do next, as well as her tips for travelling.

I think Alice and her family did what alot of us dream of doing, and having the courage to actually get on and do it is very motivating for others who love the idea but too afraid to make it happen. Really enjoyable book.
on 20 December 2009
I had decided to read the book 1 chapter a day - to allow "a break for the growth time of Isabella". It would make it more real-time to me. That plan did not last long - I got hooked at 8 months!!!
The funniest thing is that I have been an avid follower of the blog trail, but I found that the book held so much more "emotion and enchantment" than the blog ever could!!
I found myself laughing WITH the family, crying when they left a long-stay village, and upset when I realised I was on the last page.
I instantly recalled the feelings I have when watching "fiction-films" about the Titanic - History told me it sank, but I still forget that bit when I am drawn into the unfolding story.
I am truly hoping the "second chapter" will be written and published.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 March 2010
I read this book over two evenings and loved it, I thought it was well written, funny and unpratronising. We often take our 2 year old daughter abroad with us and are planning on travelling for a longer period of time later in the year. I bought this book initially to get some tips for travelling with children, not only did I get some really useful information but it also made me aware that taking children with you can open up doors that might not exist otherwise and reinforced my belief that travelling with children is great fun!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse