on 5 May 2009
I bought this because my husband likes "proper British food". The recipes are many and varied. Im not a skilled cook but have sucessfully made many of the dishes featured. There are no hard to come by ingredients and the history behind each dish is really valuable if you have an interest in British food tradition (and a hungry man to feed).
on 15 December 2014
Sorry to give this a low rating as there is much to admire in rediscovering British classics, but many of the recipes are frustratingly vague and sometimes bizarre. I made lemonade in the summer, and thought it odd that all the bitter tasting white pith ends up in the drink. Sure enough, the result was bitter and disappointing.
The victoria sponge cake recipe has the maddening 'if you're using two cake tins shorten the cooking time. By how much? Even an approximation would help.
I now have the Christmas pudding steaming, but the recipe says 'cook for a least three hours'. What does that mean? Is it three hours or is it more? Do you butter the basin or not? These are crucial points that need to be focused on. I ended up on the internet learning how to prep a pudding for steaming. By contrast any cookbook by, say, the wonderful Marcella Hazan, never leaves you wondering or second guessing, yet never feels laboured in its descriptions.
I give it two stars because I like the pork with butter beans recipe, and no one uses butter beans enough.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2006
I'm not much of a cook but I found the recipes very easy to follow and also very tasty. There's a lot to get through, and the history behind each receipe is well worth a read. More importantly, it has a great chocolate pudding which tastes just as good as the the picture in the book.
on 12 October 2010
I had recently taken out the earlier edition from the library and thought what a fantastic book(especially the puddings), when I realised an updated vesion was coming out I thought I must have it. The main difference is there are now AGA instructions along side conventional cooking methods. I couldn't see anything else different ie. no new recipes. This is still a good book but unless you have an AGA it is the same as the previous edition.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2011
Easy-to-follow instructions producing relatively impressive results. There is nothing pretentious or difficult about this book. The recipes are simple, yet you could serve any of the dishes to dinner guests. A sort of educational, modern-day Mrs Beeton (without the advice on how to run your household).

Lots of comfort food :)

Best of all, the proceeds go to a good cause...
on 1 November 2011
I have done a few recipes out of this book which I found to be very tasty,but there are flaws in the recipes and sometimes some ingredients are totally ignored. Once they are listed they are never spoken about again,BIZARRE !!Having said all that I love owning it.
on 1 April 2013
I rate this book rather highly in my list of cookbooks. It details several classic British recipes which I never see being served up in restuarants anymore.

Some of the meals, unfortunately, can be found served in cheap pubs but they do not come close to the traditional recipes and methods found in this book.

The recipes are easy to follow using easy to obtain ingrediants. The food made is high quality putting "British food" served in pubs to shame. Don't expect a simple Fish & Chips recipe here, but rather ones for authentic classic pies, casseroles, stews, cakes and puddings.

Each recipe comes with a short history of the dish which can make for an interesting read.
on 2 January 2017
I love this book so much I had to get a copy for my Grandmother for Christmas! Not cheap, but good value because it's a big book and you'll want to make EVERY recipe. Well laid out, each recipe has a page to itself with a quality colour photo opposite so you can see what you should be aiming for! Good range of food from starters, mains, desserts, cakes, sweets, pastries etc. etc. Each recipe is well described and should be do-able to anyone with reasonable kitchen skills; they also each come with an interesting bit of background or history about the dish.
on 24 November 2011
this book is much more than i expected first class pictures and the range of recipes are super i am very pleased thankyou
on 2 September 2016
One more cookbook for my collection. As cookbooks are very hard to rate, because cooking is very personal, and I have many cookbooks, it is difficult to say anything sensible about this cookbook as a cookbook. It is a very nice book.