VINE VOICEon 19 August 2009
Asian Neesh and white Sammy are a modern day Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed in a racist hate-flled playground in modern Britain. 'Falling' is a multilayered story that interweaves Neesh and Sammy's lives with the strikingly similar story of their forebears, dream-like images of which haunt the supernaturally-sensitive Neesh. The story is told in three teenage voices (mainly) and Dogar doesn't shy away from doesn't shy away from bad language, violence and raw issues such as self-harm. This book is rich with colour and emotions from the dark hatred of racism to true compassion and love, a striking blend of moving romance and a vivid tense plot with gut-wrenching moments of terror.
This is a great read and a striking novel, both stark and thought-provoking, which will encourage compassion and understanding as teens mature into adults. I won't forget it for a long time.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 August 2012
It took me a long while to get caught up in the story, part of the problem was that there are four different voices telling you two stories, taking place at different times, in different countries.

My other problem is that I don't think this story works as a modern tale. That's not because I don't think what happens couldn't happen now but it's that the characters just seem so out of place. There are swear words/slang but they don't fit, they feel put there to remind the reader that this is now not then.

A few instances that made no sense to me, if Sammy is in Neesha's class then surely he should be her age? In which case how could he be legally driving? There was nothing to suggest he'd been held back or Neesha had skipped. There were more of these and as a reader I shouldn't be trying to work that out, I should be focusing on the story.

Sharon Dogar definitely has a unique style and if this had been set in another time or written as fantasy or urban fairytale I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
on 19 October 2016
Wonderful modern day Romeo and Juliet and the devide of races and religion and culture a Wonderful love story with a interesting dark side I would suggest this for older teens and up not for younger kids a truly brilliant story teller 10/10
on 20 January 2014
As an adult reader I enjoyed this book.

However, it was purchased by my teenage(13) daughter from the teen fiction section of a well known high street store and I have'lost' it before she reads it as the material is too dark: with repeated references to self harming and psychotic behaviour.

I feel a warning about this content should be on the jacket of the book to allow parents of any teenager vulnerable to such issues to make an informed choice.
on 29 December 2012
This Book was really gripping was a bit unsure of the blurb because I didn't really sound like my kind of thing (witches), but I knew it was about love as well so I decided to give it a go. So glad I did! kept me wanting to know the ending really well written, Going to try her next book 'waves' and see if that matches the quality of this book.