on 21 April 2005
This book called Thief Lord is an amazing and thrilling book. It is a must read once i started this book i couldn't wait to read it when i got home from school.This book is very exciting and a book that you just can't miss.Cornelia Funke is an amazing author and i would also recomend some of her other books such as Dragon Rider and Ink Heart.I hope this review was helpful to you and enjoy the book.
on 12 November 2003
A very strange thing seems to be happening with Cornelia Funke, Jamilla Gavan and Mary Hoffman all writing children's books for the same age group set in Venice - something in the air I suppose: a smell of drains and canals, perhaps? Still, you can see why it appeals as a setting as it is a most seductive city. The Thief Lord is a neat little book, with horrible blood relatives, caring strangers, sinister islands, one piece of 'real' magic and a great bit of revenge. My whole family have enjoyed this hugely and anticipate her next one eagerly. The characters are enduring - Ida the sassy grown up saver-of-the-day is a particularly fine character. The awful sneery uncle and aunt are gorgeously vile. The kids, while not EXACTLY believable are great. A thoroughly well-crafted and rewarding book written with zest and fluently translated from the German.
on 6 July 2008
The plot: two children have run away from their aunt and have been befriended by a gang of street kids and their leader, the Thief Lord, also known as Scipio. A detective, who has been hired by the aunt, is looking for the children. However, a mysterious comte asks them to steal something for him, something that can help to spin time!

When I read the book, the plot seemed to me to be a little bit like Oliver Twist, as Scipio is like Fagin and the Dodger rolled into one, and Prosper and Bo are like two Olivers.

If you like reading about drama, fantasy and magic, then this book is for you.
on 2 July 2008
I ordered this book last Wednesday, it arrived last Thursday, it was read by 2am last Saturday. A+ on delivery (I went through marketplace) and it's a testament to Funke how quickly I read this book, I practically devoured it. I read often but I rarely read with such a fervour as I read this with.

The storyline is quite simple, which makes it nice for younger readers, but there is always enough going on in the storyline for the older readers to keep up. The characters are dynamic and engaging, and you really care for them by half way. This makes the end quarter of the book even more dramatic. Alright, so there is a pretty much constant theme of theivery and running away from home - But even though it's somewhat glamourised, Funke has been careful to make sure that it's not *too* glamourised and there are often reminders that it's not the right thing to do.

The basic storyline is that two brothers run away to Venice, because their Aunt wants to adopt the younger one (Bo - Bonifas) and put Prosper into a boarding school. The two brothers arrive in the city and are soon picked up by Hornet, a girl who is part of a gang on kids who are in the employ of 'The Thief Lord'. They never steal (or are never asked to steal) themselves, but their leader brings them items that they then sell and they live off the profits. Everything seems simple; that is until the private eye that the boy's Aunt has sent to find them discovers their hideout and a secret about their leader that changes their view of him completly.

One thing that disappointed me about the English translation (it's originally a German book, from a German author if you didn't realise) is that the poem at the beginning is left out - It doesn't add anything to the story line, or take anything away, but it ties in nicely with the later plot and well, it's a sweet little poem!

I'm tempted to see the film - But I've been told that it changes the storyline, which would annoy me. The storyline doesn't need any changing!
on 31 May 2006
I got this book when I was about 12 for Christmas. I couldn't put it down-literally! It was so brilliant that I took it everywhere I went. It's beautifully crafted, funny, lyrical, imaginative and with enough twists and turns to keep even the most reluctant reader happy. Amazing.
on 6 May 2009
I was first drawn to the Thief Lord because it was set in venice and we were due to holiday there. I was soon engrosed in the story . It is a good story for young and old alike. I have since gone on to read other Cornelia Funke books, Inkheart and Inkspell. Brilliant !
on 21 April 2014
The theif lord was an exciting tale. It was twisted , thrilling and emotional. This book is 100% on any person's reading list. I would recommend this book from children aged 9-12 ( 8 year olds could read this book but only if they are very good at reading.)There is no bad language and it's easy to read apart from the Italian. At the end of the book there is a glossary of all the Italian word so you do not need to worry.
Overall a fun and an amazing story. So start reading and find out what happens in this No.1 story…
on 5 November 2009
Cornelia Funke captures the imagination of the reader from the start. Better for over 12's - boys or girls and I thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult.
on 7 November 2010
Our whole family loved this CD - it kept us rivetted on our long daily school runs for over a week. I am so pleased to have discovered it - it is a great story with believable characters, a fabulous setting and wonderfully told. It is nice to have something that I can enjoy as much as the children. My children love CDs and we had exhausted Roald Dahl, Just William, the Spiderwick chronicles etc and this is another classic, probably for age 8 upwards. Great value with 8 and a half hours of content.
on 25 March 2006
A touching story of orphans' life and adventures in Venice and the extra little bit of magic to make it a typical Cornelia Funke. The book is well laid-out in good-sized chapters, has fine language, an interesting plot and good descriptions of Venice. It is appropriate for children from about 10 years onwards or for anybody older who enjoys an easy but by no means simplistic read.