Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2017
No reference to David's early racism and bullying behaviour. David was simply an ugly, horrible thug in his youth.
on 18 September 2007
Mr Chick took on and exposed the secret family law system for the farce that it is. How he kept his head, control and self discipline throughout the nightmare of a time when him and his daughter were being abused / denied the contact they should have been having throughout his 2 years of protesting beggars belief. This dad, acting alone did more to inform the public of the family courts failings than anyone person before or since. Over 200ft in the air for over 6 days during his Tower bridge protest was some feat. This protest of his was the first time the children's and fathers rights issue went global and was the first which made anyone aware of F4J as Mr Chick used one of their banners because they were fighting for the same cause. There were three other 'crane'protests of varying amount of days endurance prior to this one, and as for going on the London eye as a paying spectator - that is scary enough, but to climb around the whole thing (over 450ft high) and stay there for so long - all again to raise public awareness of the family law scandal - that was AWSOME too. A brilliant book by a great man, who I know for a fact is now seeing his daughter on a regular basis (as should have always been happening). No contact for 21 months when there is a weekly contact "order" in place but the court who made it don't bother to enforce it - Now that is scandalous.
A must read for any dad / or any man thinking of becoming a dad.
on 29 September 2007
I read this book whilst awaiting the birth of my son, to a man who had a nervous breakdown because his ex wanted to move his child to scotland,500 miles away from where we and she lived, to reduce his access from alternate weekends, and half of all school holidays to 4 weeks a year! As a woman and a mother I am disgusted the courts allow anyone to have the power to get a parent out of a child's life..... The courts didn't even seem to mind she moved a new partner in on the afternoon, my husband left! He was accused in court of being a "passive father" as he obviously didn't go and take his daughter away from what the courts documented as his ex having "mentally abusive relationship with her child" with a woman who had questionable morals. But as you will read in this book...he never stood a chance against the "private family courts". His barrister told him "one day your daughter will vote with her feet" ....on the day the judge ruled his daughter was allowed to be taken up to scotland, she was 9 at the time. The ex got remarried, had another affair and moved the next partner in 3 days after her second husband moved out...but we are not allowed to comment on this or the psychological effect it has on the child! My husband got 6 weeks contact a year and his ex was to pay for flights down to see us.....has she???? occasionally when her life is going good,or after a barrage of solicitors letters, we don't pay much child support as he ended up on benefit so her attitude is "no pay, no see" unless we pay.... she uses her child in a donkey and carrot scenerio...to make him comply. My other deep sadness is my ex stopped seeing my three children around the same time as all the above happened and I know how hard it is to watch your children cry for a man who exits their life for no reason. I hate my ex for this and this alone. As he is the only other person in the world who should want to love and protect "our" children as much as I do...and he is hurting them in a way I can't protect them from....and as their mother I want to.
This book highlights just how badly "good" parents can be treated, the law should make contact a HUMAN RIGHT... for the child and the absent parent unless there are "PROVEN" abuse reasons, for there not being. We were members of F4J and I saw the deep sadness of many men who were fighting just to be part of their children's lives by a small minority of women who wanted control...and the manipulation game they play to get what they want.....
NO BAD PARENT would comply so much to see his child as David Chick and many other parents do...if they did not want to be part of that child's life...they have 2 choices: to fight or walk away...David and my husband chose to fight to be a Dad to the children they love, and for that they pay the price...Our society should value the parents who take their parental responsiblities seriously and support them.
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2006
A very interesting and eye opening book, one of the best I have read. I have no shame in admitting that I was close to tears on more than one occassion while reading this book, albeit I am so glad that I read it. My heart goes out to Mr Chick and his daughter for the way their relationship has been denied and violated by our country's family law system.
on 18 May 2010
As a father who has not seen his son for 5+ yrs as of today, even after moving 3,000+ miles to live near him, I understand all to well David's struggle. Proud of David, a little ashamed of myself for not climbing a crane myself. Although not sure it would have worked in France. Easy read, like David is sitting in the pub telling you himself.
The only point that need to be added is that is not just fathers and children that the courts can sentence to "death of their relationship". The courts do ruin the lives of many mothers and their children too. It depends on the day the country and the mood of the people involved. Yes in the UK and France and many other places fathers don't stand a chance, but as the courts get more attention, rather than fixing the system they seem to have decided abuse mothers from time to time to show they are not "unfair"
I pray for the day when the public will say "enough is enough".
This is the heart rendering story of Dave Chick who was denied access to his daughter after been found guilty of violent and threatening conduct on the basis of probability.

Once contact is stopped through unjust accusations the courts must decide can it be in the best interests of the child to start it again. Dave thought so and scaled a series of cranes dressed as Spiderman to highlight his case and that of the fathers' rights movement.

Dave's story takes us from the family courts, up a near by crane and ends with a nomination for the Channel 4 Political contribution award 2003, it proves that one man can make a difference. I can't help but think Robert Bruce would have been equally inspired by Dave's story as he was his own spider.

Every father owes a debt of gratitude to Dave Chick for his high profile high wire protests. Spiderman, Spiderman, goes anywhere a spider without a restraining order against it can.
on 28 February 2006
An extremely interesting and eye opening book - couldn't put it down. I was close to tears on more than one occasion while reading this book. My heart goes out to Mr Chick and his daughter for the way their relationship has been denied and violated by our country's family law system.
on 15 March 2006
It's too easy sometimes to make snap judgements about people, and David Chick's book makes you think and then think again and again about what is right in the world. What's right is that a good dad should be allowed to see his daughter, and David Chick makes his case achingly clearly. A must for anyone who is going through a similar story.
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2006
Splendid account of Spiderman's story told without any bull or bowing to the PC brigade.
Down to earth, highly emotional, convincing, depressing at times (how biased the system is), but uplifting in how one man can make a difference not only to his child but in highlighting an appalling system that betrays tens of thousands of new children each year who become involved through their parents separation.
I loved it, warts and all.
regards
on 20 April 2006
This book will make you cry. It tells of the obscene injustice done to Mr Chick and his daughter by this country's family law system. Having read this book, its obvious that Mr Chick is only one of many in this terrible situation. If you only buy one book this year, make sure its this one.