Customer reviews

on 10 June 2017
My daughter absolutely loves this book and we have read it so many times that she knows the words off by heart! The pictures are beautiful and we read it together with daddy x
on 30 November 2011
Loved this book for toddlers. It's such a major part of their life for breastfed babies and children, of course we need a lovely book about the experience. Beautiful artwork, excellent details about the lived experience of extended breastfeeding. We've added this book to the Norwich Baby Garden lending library.
on 9 December 2011
I have been reading this story to my son who is nearly 3 and still breastfed and he has thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the pictures and everything that the book represents (co-sleeping, breastfeeding on demand, anywhere, anyhow, baby wearing). It covers right from birth to when the child is older and falling asleep by themselves without milk in their big bed. My son is not particularly familiar with the word Breast however so we used our code "Mummy Milk" instead where necessary which did not detract from the book at all.

I am currently pregnant and I have been using this book to show my little boy how the new baby will be with Mummy and feeding from Mummy like he did and I think that it has really helped my little boy to understand what will happen and he has been asking questions about the baby that he hadn't thought of before we read this story.
on 13 November 2011
This is a lovely story to read aloud to a toddler or a young child with beautiful illustrations showing the breastfeeding relationship of a mother and child. It realistically portrays the joy of breastfeeding and it was great to read a book that showed nursing taking its course and waiting for weaning to happen naturally. I read it with our daughter (almost two years old) and she particularly loved the pictures of the baby and wants me to read it "again" when it's finished!
on 8 August 2014
You, Me and the Breast is another beautifully illustrated book from Pinter & Martin’s children’s series featuring birth with a breastfeeding theme. The book starts with a picture from How You Were Born of baby having his very first breastfeed as a newborn. The story then follows the breastfeeding journey with everything from co-sleeping to carrying in a sling to weaning along the way. The little details in the pictures make the book a wonderful talking point for story time and all with the trademark happy bright colours, flowers and flowing hair. Although there aren’t many words on each page there is plenty to talk about with your little one.
The main theme of the book is as the title suggests; about breastfeeding. Mum is seen nursing her little one in various scenarios e.g. while reading a book (about breastfeeding!), talking on her mobile, feeding while shopping and even exercising. It’s a lovely book portraying breastfeeding as a normal, natural part of growing up.

I love that the mums from the baby group or coffee morning in How You Were Born are back again now each with their breastfed newborn and each in different colourful outfits. The final spread shows mum saying goodnight to her little boy holding a copy of the book she has just read.
on 17 February 2012
I was so pleased to see that a book for children about breastfeeding had come out and I was not disappointed! It is a lovely book with very unusual and eye catching pictures. It gives a very positive depiction of breastfeeding and most mums I am sure would be glad to be able to share their experience with their children who were too young to remember being breastfed and the close bond. I feel that this book will be especially good for any older children who are being weaned off the breast and understand a bit more and now can have the story at bedtime instead of a feed!
on 1 May 2012
You, me and the breast by Monica Calaf (text) and Mikel Fuentes (illustration) is a beautifully illustrated book. The pages are bold and colourful, and very engaging. One aspect I thought was great was that the illustrations of the characters (Mum, Dad, non-gendered baby) are so over the top (in a good way!) that it is difficult to tell their exact ethnicity, which means children and parents of most, if not all, origins are hopefully able to recognise themselves in the different scenarios.

The story covers most aspects of breastfeeding, from birth, via co-sleeping, babywearing, coffee mornings, feeding in public, to teething and finally weaning. It's great for a gentle playful overview of how convenient breastfeeding is - you can do it while swimming, gardening, cooking, even exercising! - and how it contributes to a close bond.

The book provides lots of talking points and it's great that it presents attachment parenting as a completely normal way of life: parents and baby snuggle up together at night, baby is carried in a sling, and it's also nice to see an image of Dad feeding Mum while she is feeding the baby, to show that he is also caring for someone.

I think it's great to have a book especially dedicated to breastfeeding. Books are usually very useful when it comes to specific life events (books about moving house, getting a new sibling, going on holiday etc etc) in order to explain things to children in a way they will understand and provide them with an opportunity to think about events and ask questions.
on 6 February 2015
I have been searching for a book to read to my daughter that describes how special our breastfeeding journey is. This book does just that. The illustrations are beautiful and my daughter loves looking at them, the cursive font is very sweet too. The story is lovely and simple, and just long enough to keep a child interested. It beautifully explains breastfeeding in terms a child would understand. And if you cosleep and babywear also, this is the perfect story for you! I've recommended they get a copy for our local children's centre, I love this book THAT much :)
on 2 January 2012
My two girls 3 and 6 both love this book and all breastfeeding mums I've shown it to love it too. Beautiful illustrations. Shame it's paperback, and a little pricey too for softback, though I guess it won't get massive circulation.
on 11 January 2017
Both my 5 and 3 year old daughters love this book! They want to read it every night at the moment! Beautifully illustrated.