Customer reviews

on 18 May 2014
If you're contemplating a home birth then this is definitely worth reading. As a husband, my biggest worry was the safety aspect for my wife (and the baby), but reading this book really put my mind at rest and, along with other advice, took us from a couple who thought a home birth was crazy to opting to go for a home birth with our first baby!
on 15 February 2016
Interesting and informative.
on 25 March 2013
Title says it all. A great source of information and portrays the reality very well. It was very useful for our preparation
on 23 October 2014
very useful
on 24 May 2015
Really helpful information for my husband
on 25 November 2013
Im keen to have a home birth for my second baby. I bought this book for me and my husband to read, but i'm not finding it particularly useful. I don't feel it's helpful to scaremonger about the potential risks of MRSA etc in a hospital birth. That is certainly not my reason for wanting a home birth! i had a perfectly satisfactory and very clean hospital birth first time round, with no intervention or pain relief. So it is possible to do that in a hospital! I feel overall the book could have been more practical - I really just want a book telling you how to set a home birth up etc. To be fair to the book i haven't finished it yet, so i will potentially modify this review if it improves in my opinion, but so far i am unconvinced.
One person found this helpful
on 12 November 2011
This book was a good read for my husband and me. Hubby thought it was all about persuading men that a home birth was OK, even though he thought it was OK from the start! I loved the real-life home birth stories - a real mixture. You can pick it up & put it down sort of on any page.
on 11 December 2011
This book is full of encouraging stories and practical advice. Very useful for an expectant homebirth dad who in our hospital centred society may not have many opportunities to share information that is specifically about the father's end of things.
on 13 December 2010
A well-balanced, well-researched handbook for any expectant father, especially within couples thinking about or planning to have their baby at home. From her long experience of supporting birthing families, Leah Hazard combines informative narrative with real life stories contributed by homebirth dads around the world. She explores fears and sorts fact from fiction in a consistent and easily accessible way. I highly recommend this book!
6 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2011
Bought a couple of recommended homebirth books at the same time and this came through as the weakest. It does have some useful information in it but that doesn't justify how much I spent on it. You'd be better off with The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.