Customer reviews

on 11 June 2017
Having read The White Masai, I was very keen to read what happened when she returned to Switzerland. Some reviews criticised the book for having repeats of what happened in the first book. It wasn't like that at all> She wrote it as a reflection & I found it was like someone was saying 'remember when.....' & reinforced what she was talking about. In my opinion she writes very well & kept my attention from beginning to end. Someone else criticised her for 'getting rich' on the back of this story. I must point out that she was actively encouraged to write her story & she was fortunate to have some film producer interested enough to relay this story in a film. You have to give her credit for supporting her 'family' back in Africa before, during & after the film so I honestly think people shouldn't be so quick to make judgements. If she had returned to her home country & made no effort to remain in contact it would have reflected badly on her but she continued to keep the lines of communication open & kept supporting her 'African family'
on 3 December 2009
Having read the White Masai, I was interested to discover what happened next! Again, this book was an easy read, but to my mind served only as a link between The White Masai and Return to Barsaloi, as it repeated a lot of what had been included in The White Masai. It was a readable account of how Corrine came to pen the story of her life with Lketinga and her success as an author. I found the account of the trip to Mount Kilamanjiro interesting, but detached from the main story.
on 12 March 2010
I wonder if I was the only person that felt slightly uncomfortable that Corinne managed to make so much money from selling details about her husband and his family, and become very rich with it, while they were living in poverty?
I know she did send regular money to help them out but it felt a bit ironic that she managed to make such a good living out of it - other than this, a good read, got through it in a couple of days.
66 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2014
I must admit I found The White Masai hard to take - the author's naivety and recklessness seemed quite unbelievable! Yet the outrageousness of the story kept me reading to the end, and even led me to pick up this sequel, out of curiosity to see how this woman would function outside her exotic African dream. Well, I have to say I found her a much more convincing and sympathetic character here! The story of her re-adaptation to Switzerland is quite interesting and her description of climbing Kilimanjaro was gripping and seemed honest, even to the sense of anti-climax and nothingness at the summit. I also think the writing is a little better this time around. However, this book does not have much structure and is really just a string of events - certainly of no interest at all if you have not read the first booik.
on 4 November 2013
I didn't want to put this book down, I would recommend you read all the three books, once you read the first you have to read the second to find out what happens to her. One of the reviews I read before buying it said it was unbelievable but all I can say is that reader has never spent any time in Africa because I have and I can totally relate to the book.
on 1 January 2010
Lots of repetition and going over old ground in this book. Not as interesting as I felt it would be.
on 7 January 2011
Couldn't wait to read this second book of Corrine's journey but it was not as good as the first and last one. Probably because it was all to do with Corrine being back in Switzerland, it must be the Kenyan side of the stories that have enthralled me. But it is a must to read to fit Corrine's story all together.
on 9 June 2016
Read this book in one day. I was really curious about what happened when she came back home and the book describes it thoroughly. A very strong and determined woman. I think this book is better written than the White Masai although it would be worthless to read it without knowing the whole story.
on 30 January 2014
Great story of a normal mum trying to make life for her and her daughter good. All the while fighting with authorities in Africa and Switzerland as she battles to lay roots and become a normal citizen.
on 31 January 2014
This follow-up to White Masai stands alone very well and intrigues from the very first page. A totally fascinating true story of a very unusual set of circumstances, that leaves you wanting more...