on 18 February 2017
book as described, arrived timeously
on 8 April 2013
This book took me back to my student days and made me feel as if I was reading a set text of great importance. There is no doubt it is beautifully written in parts and I found it moving and humorous too.There is something about Jonas I cannot get to grips with .He has an unreal quality, almost ethereal at times.I am almost too scared to write this, for fear of appearing intellectually challenged.Have stopped reading and no doubt will go back to this story later. If you are looking for a roaring good escapist read maybe this is not for you.In the meantime I think I will flick through some Sartre or Voltaire.. at least I understand them and they have something to say to me. Sorry but found this pretentious !
on 20 March 2006
I won't even try to describe this book - because I know I'd fail. But if you love reading and are fed up with quickly-churned out "bestsellers", then give this book a try. Imaginative down to the last detail, unconventionally told, a great read. I'm only sorry that the book had to end and that there are not other books by the author available in English translation.
on 11 June 2006
This is an astonishing book, funny, apt, moving and thoroughly enjoyable. It doesn't matter at all that the chapters are not sequential, adds to the whole, in fact, and each is memorable in its own way. It's also good on Bach and Duke Ellington and wonderfully satirical about Norway and Norwegians.
on 11 January 2016
Intriguing and well written but at times it could have done with more focus for my liking.
on 27 October 2014
A subtle and engaging book, brilliantly translated from the original Norwegian.
on 7 November 2004
An elusive book; but as one blurb describes it as postmodern, that's part of the territory. There are some terrific passages, some dull ones, but you never quite get to know Jonas - its as if he is always just out of reach. I'm sure this is the point - how well do you really know the people in your life?
So don't approach this looking for any linear narrative, and for any "happy ever afters", because you could argue that its not the job of the writer to do this anymore. Go and read Nicholas Nickleby if you want that. Poor Smike!
So good, but...episodic, lots of narrative games. Lots of incidents from Jonas's life - but the esteem in which he is held by repute doesn't seem to be merited by what we are told of his life in attaining that esteem. Postmodern, eh? Are we being told that celebrity isn't actually based on merit? If we are, is that a surprise, Saturday Night TV presenters?
Whatever, I kept turning the pages. Which IS what books are supposed to make you do. I'm pleased to have read it. Good........but.......
on 22 January 2013
Couldn't get past the first 5 pages, shelved for possible future retry but not confident I will get through it