on 20 March 2017
First of all, the Pro's: The book is just stunning, with lots of gorgeous photos, and it's very well written. It basically covers everything I ever wanted or needed to know about sugarcraft, entremets, chocolate work etc, etc. It also contains recipes (which I haven't tried out yet, so I cannot comment on how well they work or not) for basic cakes (such as Madeira, Chocolate, Vanilla and Fruit cake etc), mousses (orange, caramel and chocolate)and various fillings, including Boiled Buttercream/ Swiss Buttercream (I'd never heard Boiled buttercream before, so it's now on my to-do list, along with Macarons, which Squires Kitchen have also got a book just for those). It's also got a very handy table for scaling up and down for various tin sizes and mixes; and several different projects to attempt, such as a 3 tiered cake, made with Joconde sponge/biscuit, and with entremets to match.
Cons: This book is a lot heavier than I thought it would be, and I don't think that this would be easy to place in a small kitchen. Although the main photos are beautiful, the other ones (in a step-by-step way) are ok, but for ease of use, they should have been numbered; I had to keep going back over them to try and link them to the text. The book itself seems to be aimed at the more professional (or more proficient) home baker (& I am neither), who has both the time to spare and also the money for all the kit that these projects require. As this comes from Squires Kitchen, I was expecting some of the ingredients and kit to come from there, but for me, it would have been better to give other, more supermarket-friendly options as well; because the total cost of buying all of the items required would price many home bakers out. So, in some respects, you would have to source your own, hopefully similar ingredients and bakeware. Even then, some of these things are not practical and affordable for many, for example an airbrush machine and the colours that you want/need to use. My final gripe is the cost of the book itself; at the publisher's price of £50. At the time of my purchase, it was £10 off at Amazon and this was the most that I would pay...I had to weigh up whether this book would be worth it or not because I am only a novice baker, and as I've already said, the costs of everything needed were rather too much.
This isn't a Pro, nor a Con, but I don't think that this adds to the book, in various sections, they include a mini biography of several of the Tutors at Squires Kitchen.
Conclusion: This is a wonderful-to-look-at book and if you are buying this for someone who is either training in this field, or is a serious baker/patissier, then they will probably love it,as it's incredibly comprehensive but if you want a more basic (and with less fancy ingredients/kit) book, then there are hundreds out there which would probably be cheaper too.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 May 2014
Wow! This book is certainly a hefty tome but well worth the money (particularly if you can find it on Amazon at bargain prices). It contains everything you need to know about sugarcraft in one book.

Divided into themes and with 'guest' authors it is beautifully illustrated with the right amount of text too.

If there is one book to buy to enable you to make beautiful cakes with the background knowledge to make them even more beautiful, it is this one.
8 people found this helpful
on 4 May 2014
Including the postage, the seller of this book was able to supply at just over half of the rrp. A bargain! I took the chance and ordered from someone that I had not dealt with before. There was no need to worry! The book arrived before the recommended time factor.
It was very well packaged and in excellent condition on opening! I will certainly deal with this market place trader again.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2017
A good informative, sugarcraft book, well explained with pictures. It is a book you just keep picking up and reading it.
As with any Sugarcraft book....Practice makes perfect and some of these do take a lot of practice but worth the effort!
on 28 February 2015
Only one word - fab!!

Seems exepnsive, but is a great resourse of many, many different skills. Gives you the opportunity to do some basic (and not so basic) techniques; those you like to can follow up with other materials.

As you would expect from SK, beautifully produced its a tome,but lovely to flick through.

Heartily recommended!
on 4 April 2016
Wow This is the book of all books. Very informative everything you would never need to knoe about Cakes, icing, sugarcraft. I really love this book.
One person found this helpful
on 6 October 2015
I bought this as a birthday present for my daughter as she asked for it specifically. It came so quickly, and its just perfect! It only remains for me to wrap it in some special paper and give it to her later in the month.
on 8 June 2014
I saw this book previewed an it looked amazing, which it is. The ultimate reference book for sugarcraft.
I found it for a good price on Amazon and received it promptly after ordering.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2014
Such a beautiful book, not read in detail yet as it arrived within two days of ordering and not had time to give this book the attention it deserves but from my initial impression this will be my go to book for all things sugar craft. Already decided to buy a second copy as a gift for my friend
on 1 December 2015
This came really well packed, its a Christmas present for someone but a book she really wants so hope she is not disappointed , have heard its very good if you know your cake stuff, its a not a cheap book so would make sure its what someone really wants.