Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2017
bought as a gift
on 15 February 2006
I like this book.
With 401 puzzles it is good value for money and the puzzles are well constructed. There are 2 puzzles per page, which disconcerts me sometimes but not enough to prevent me from using it and it does mean that the book is not the size of a doorstep. It's not pocket sized either but it is small enough to take on the commute. The puzzles, however, are large enough to allow pencil marks/candidates.
I very much appreciate the fact that Pete Sinden gives some pertinent information at the beginning of the book clearly stating what he considers to be the essence of 'good' Sudoku, that he is the one that constructs the puzzles and the method that he uses to do this. I like to know against whom I'm pitting my wits, if they are aware of how to construct a decent puzzle and the method with which they do this. I also appreciate that he states clearly that "No puzzle is duplicated between any of Pete Sinden’s books", which means that when you buy another book of his you know that it contains fresh puzzles.
There are no solving tips in this book, a la Carol Vorderman, which I like also. It contains only puzzles and their solutions.
I do, however, take issue with the Migraine rating and that "Migraine - inducing difficulty (number crunching for the addict)." definition. These puzzles do not require any of the advanced solving methods - as far as I'm aware - and thus I find the statement confusing. Then again I suppose that it would depend on the solver. I've been solving since November 2005 and have been known to solve a Wayne Gould rated Fiendish in 35 minutes. Fiendish and below don't require advanced solving methods either. I would say that I was addicted but not in the number crunching category. I certainly don't find Pete Sinden's hardest puzzles in this book migraine inducing either - I'm sorry to say!
The Migraine rating/definition is the only quibble I have with the book (which is why I gave it 5 stars), and I know that ratings are the hardest thing to get right with puzzles. I solve on a regular basis and this book is not the only one I possess, but I do find it entertaining and I do keep coming back to it.
So, my recommendation is : buy it, you'll love it.
on 22 July 2005
I've bought quite a few Sudoku books and this is by far the best value. There are loads of quality puzzles, and you get a lot more for your money than with the newspapers' books. If I had to buy just one Sudoku book it would be this one. Of course, I will probably buy a few more yet.
on 16 January 2011
Two complaints about this book;
First, The puzzles are not very challenging. I'm not an expert, but have been doing Sudoku for a few years now. In this book, I fly through the hardest ('Migraine'), hardly having to think about it. The book was a complete waste for me.
Second, there is virtually no margin around the puzzles to jot notes. Since I found them so easy, I didn't need to make notes, but would have been frustrating if I did. I would prefer to have more white space around the puzzles.
on 20 July 2005
Handy size and brilliant true sudoku puzzles - 401 of them, too! Incredibly good value. Perfect.
on 14 August 2005
Challenging yet fun. A fantastic buy. I'm very happy with this book and would happily recommend it to anyone.
on 2 August 2005
To confess I bought this for myself and am absorbed. Then my husband wanted to play - he had to get his own copy! Now our fourteen-year-old son and twelve-year-old daughter have taken his. The upshot is they are much better than either of us and it's kept them quiet for hours. (They are also much better at it that us!) - but then they can work the video too. All is now quiet in our household.
Thank you. This is brilliant.
on 31 July 2005
401 exceptional puzzles! So incredibly good value and a very high-quality book.
on 23 July 2005
So much fun and so many puzzles. I love these games when I get a chance to play. My daughters love it too though and keep stealing the book when I'm not looking. At least I get some piece while they play. If you have teenagers I suggest buying a copy for each of them and one for yourself.
on 20 September 2012
400 puzzles for around £4 sounds like great value. Unfortunately, for anyone who has ever completed a sudoku puzzle before, the vast majority of puzzles are so easy that they can be completed in seconds and as such are hardly worth considering: only the last few puzzles in the "migraine" section are worth doing, and even these are not really challenging. I'm far from an expert, but many of these puzzles seem almost to be aimed at children who have only recently learned to count to 9!

Furthermore, while it may seem churlish to complain at the price, in order to write in the column closest to the centre of the book you need to force open the pages to such an extent that it damages the binding, and before long I found pages were falling out all over the place.

There really is nothing to recommend about this product: almost every other sudoku book available offers a better standard of puzzle and isn't going to fall apart after a few days like this one did.