Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2012
Although this book is not published by Cambridge University Press, it is the best writing guide for IELTS. Cambridge books seem to have neglected writing part of the exam, at least when it comes to aiming for band 7+. This wonderful book does job much better than they do. Collocations and phrases are the main characteristic of this excellent reference, but is not the only thing I adore. Sample essays and comments teach you as well. I've been struggling to understand rules of task 1, including a plan of this kind of essay. I purchased this outstanding book and everything changed. I feel more confident. Missing page is not a problem because the publisher attached this for my request. Worth buying and working through it!
on 23 June 2012
This really is the "missing link" when it comes to IELTS books. The writing part of the exam is often the highest hurdle for many learners. This book devotes a unit to each task and uses exercises and model answers to analyse what is required in great detail. There are reading texts, formulaic language lists, vocualulary studies and general grammar highlights and all of these are accompanied by useful exercises. There is also a "Check and Challenge" page at the end of each unit designed to aid later recall. It can be used by IELTS students at any level. I teach EFL at colleges, universities and as a private language tutor, and I recommend this book to all my learners.
on 15 January 2013
I agree with the view expressed by author Richard Brown that many IELTS coursebooks "chuck all the skills in together" and it's unclear what to pick out and teach. I really think the authors are on the right track here treating writing separately. They are very clear about how the Task 2 essay should be approached. However, Task 1, is only given three units, and while they present a consistent way of writing an answer, I feel it is perhaps not the best way to draft a Task 1 answer.
on 28 January 2012
i have bought this book in 2011, and i am now preparing myself to take ielts exam and i need 7, this book is an amazing and informative book,which is teach you step by step,it is the best book i have ever bought for ielts ,one things which is not related to the author is the page 129 is missing which is a shame there are two more diagram in this page,guys you are brilliant, i wish i have known you in reality as i chose both of you as my teacher for ielts. thanks
please wish me high score
on 18 April 2014
It is the probably the best book for IELTS Writing, especially for Task 2. The book contains methodology and a plethora of useful expressions for Task 2.
I would prefer more worked examples for Task 1 which could be written by the authors and NOT by their students. Also, I would like more worked examples for Pie Charts.

Nikolaos B.
on 16 January 2015
As a teacher of IELTS, I have several books on writing and mix n match to produce lesson plans. I think if you are just starting your collection of books, this is the best and could successfully be used as a text book for students. It covers structure of an academic essay Task 2 and how to analyse and write in 150 words for Task 1. It gives the appropriate sentence constructions for an above 6.5 score and the relevant vocabulary on many topics/issues. The vocab is used in discussion to stimulate ideas for the essays. In my own teaching, I would supplement the Task 1 section but this book is definitely the best and most accessible book for IELTS writing I have seen.
on 2 March 2013
There are a lot of information in this book, which I may neglect in my daily study. There are also several examples, with comments in detail.
on 12 June 2014
It has been extremely useful to help me to improve my ielts skills: grammar, structure, vocabulary and ideas for my essay.
on 15 January 2016
One of the most useful book for preparing IELTS writing test by yourself! I reached a 7 after studying only this book: it gives advice and tips to succeed in any kind of task proposed, it's full of examples and useful vocabularies. And it's even less expensive than other books. If you're looking for a simple, well- organised and helpful book to pass your IELTS test with a high score (+6.5) I definetely suggest this one!
on 4 February 2016
it has very simple mistakes, you have to be careful when you are using this book

look at this answer