Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 October 2009
This anthology of chips from the writing block of a great author lives up to its name. There are one hundred and fourteen short essays on all manner of things that have given Priestley delight. Not all of them are simple or innocent : there's more than a little malice to be found, for example, in Frightening Civil Servants and Quietly Malicious Chairmanship; and a touch of mischief in Being Solemn About One's Tastes and Not Going. But mostly this is Priestley finding simple pleasure in music, family affairs, smoking, remembrances of childhood, and so on. One of the most amusing, tongue-in-cheek pieces is No School Report, in which Priestley writes just such a report on himself and a frankly bad one. The anthology is beautifully re-produced by Great Northern Books and makes a suitable companion piece to the newly-compiled Modern Delight, published for charity by Waterstones.
on 11 November 2009
J B Priestley (a fellow Yorkshireman) strikes me as the Keith Waterhouse of his day. This collection of more than 100 mini-essays, from 1949, is delightfully old-fashioned, a book for dipping into (though it could have been pruned, some are much better than others and he does get a bit repetitive.) Priestley is a benign sort of chap who takes pleasure in mild grumbling. Some of his pleasures, sadly, have all but disappeared ... sea travel (I doubt he would include cruises), tobacco from real tobacconists, buying sheet music, stereoscopes. Others bring a flash of delighted recognition ... the feel of a new box of matches, theatre curtains, the sound of an orchestra warming-up, mineral water in hotel rooms. Still others are delights in something not happening ... not going out socially, not being the subject of school reports. Written during the Austerity era, this clearly wasn't a golden age - everything has changed since Priestley's childhood and taxes are sky high. But reading this I could smell the world we have lost (if books were smells, this is a tweed jacket with leather patches, rarely dry-cleaned and owned by a pipe-smoker). My personal delight was finding an old-fashioned library copy from the days before my local library became an internet cafe.
on 22 April 2012
My daughter Joy gave me an absolutely lovely little book for my birthday: Delight, by J. B. Priestley. It consists of a hundred or so short pieces describing things that delighted him throughout his life. Silly things, wonderful things: "Fountains", "charades, "smoking in a hot bath", "fiddling while Rome burns", "quietly malicious chairmanship"--just moments in a life when you think, what joy. We all have moments like this--or at least, I hope we do!

In his forward--'The Grumbler's Apology'--he says that he has always been something of a curmudgeon, and that this is his "bit of penitence, for having grumbled so much, for having darkened the breakfast table, almost ruined the lunch, nearly silenced the dinner party, for all the fretting and chafing, grousing and croaking, for the old glum look and the thrust-out lower lip. "

I love that he is moved by the charm of small things, the power to delight that for instance the smell of bacon in the morning has: "We plan, we toil, we suffer - in hope of what? A camel-load of idols' eyes? The title deeds of Radio city? The Empire of Asia: A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs. And, again I cry, how rarely it happens! But when it does happen - then what a moment, what a morning, what delight!"

A picture of the man emerges from these little pieces. He is of the last century, served in the first world war and then worked in radio during the second. Famous as an author and playwright, whose works, I am ashamed to say, I have no familiarity with. These charming pieces seem a good introduction; I shall look for further works.
on 8 March 2010
The novelist and playwright J.B. Priestley had a reputation--among his colleagues and his own family--as a chronic complainer. Yet Priestley saw himself as a man who was wide awake to life's joys and took a keen pleasure in them, and in this book he set out to prove that. It contains 114 brief essays, some less than a page in length, none longer than a few pages, each of them describing a person, place or thing that pleased him.

Whether celebrating ordinary pleasures, such as reading detective stories in bed, or more exotic ones, like the smell of Tahiti on the horizon, Priestley's writing is pungent, humorous, touching and memorable. I first read this book about 20 years ago and have hunted down many second-hand copies and given them to friends and family. Some must have wondered why I had bought and carefully wrapped a somewhat faded book from half a century ago.

So it's a real delight to have this handsome new edition that fits nicely into the hands and does justice to a book that's bound to bring pleasure to a whole new generation of readers. You'll find that many of Priestley's delights are yours, too, although you may never have stopped to fully notice them before.

If I were a teacher, I'd ask each of my students to dip into this book as they wished, and then to try writing five or six hundred words to describe something that gives them special pleasure. They may not find it easy to do, but if they succeed, despite the buzz of jargon and circumlocution that surrounds us each day, they'll discover that one of the delights Priestley has to share with us is engaging language that goes straight to the heart.
on 20 February 2015
I have had a copy of this book for years and can say it is a delight. I have bought it since as a gift for others and it has never failed to disappoint. The essays are easy to read and brief, a friend said to me that she read one each day in the morning as she drank her coffee. It was a few minutes each day that took her away from the chores of every day life, giving her a few moments of pleasure, indeed, delight
on 4 December 2012
Delight has become a constant source of wonder in my life. you can venture in at any time a be swept away in its short tales of breath taking wonder. Be amazed. Be very amazed.
on 16 February 2010
This book was a book club choice as we try to vary the type of books we read. It was generally liked by all members though generally it was hard to get stuck into as each delight was relatively short. At the end no-one could remember more than two or three delights tho we talked about something that gave each of us some delight. The other thing everyone remarked on was the fact that a lot of the delights continue to delight today.
on 9 December 2015
Very good service and exactly as described. Thank you.
on 9 September 2010
A kind of autobiography of the author written in many different separate brief instances rather than with complete continuity as if the author is telling you what he wants you to know rather than making a clean breast of everything.

The brief looks into the various facets of his life, likes and character show the author to be a mixture of seriousness and fancy in that he sometimes has very strict opinions of what he considers to be right while in other instances revealing personal tastes that show he was a man who cared for all he held dear.

These little snippets taken as a whole show the author to be someone of very personal feelings while also revealing him to be a man of the people.
on 16 May 2016
Great little book. Love it!