Customer reviews

on 28 November 2008
As a committed urban dweller who's visits to this green and pleasant land are as infrequent as a desire to debate the virtues of barns,my enjoyment of Andy Singleton and David Joys tome on the Barns of the Yorkshire Dales comes as something of a surprise.The book takes you from a broad historical perspective,to a passionate,and at times personal account of the unique charector of such stone edifice's. With a distinctly Northern voice,Singleton sustains the readers interest by siting various examples of barn conversions and restoration work,dispensing sage like advice about architects and contractors in a humourous yet edifying way.I have no desire to live in a barn butI have my favourites that I intend to visit just as soon as I can make my way out of the city ,and it's all thanks to this innately celebratery and innately charming book.
on 8 May 2009
I was delighted to find this book a pleasurable, humorous and most informative read.I do not agreee with "Building Surveyor" He or she describes the book as having "lightweight content". Surely the book is light hearted rather than lightweight...we are not all building trade professionals. I found the approach comfortably on the right side of the line bewteen informative and entertaining without being swamped with too much technical mumbo jumbo. I applaud the authors in their foresight to bring to the masses such a unique insight into what are undoubtedly major contributions to the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales....I wonder if they have considered a similar project about "Barns in Wales." I give the book 5 stars.
on 1 March 2009
Lightweight content with many pretty pictures but lacking the technical detail and pictorial or verbal restorational skills and techniques anticipated by the title.
on 14 August 2013
This unique book is well written and fully embraces the wonder of these historic barns. I first visited north Yorkshire this summer and wanted to find out more about them. I am very pleased with it
on 28 April 2009
Very pleased with book and delivery was prompt. Just wish postman had knocked on door rather than put it through letter box. (Heavy thud on floor!)
on 6 June 2009
A fantastic publication giving a real insight into these much overlooked buildings.
Great photos... truly superb - the best of its kind.
on 4 June 2016
An interesting book,descriptive with attractive photographs.An enjoyable book to read .
on 10 June 2015