Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(4 star). See all 660 reviews
on 27 December 2011
This is a very enjoyable race through Bear Grylls' life - so far. He brings enthusiasm to everything he does and he does a lot, yet the well of enthusiasm keeps gushing fresh supplies. I learned a lot of new information from this book. I really enjoy his TV programmes and I warmed to Bear the person who is portrayed in this book. I knew that he had joined the SAS before I read this book but I did not know that he was an old-Etonian, the son, grandson, grand stepson, and great-grandson of MPs. He spent his early holidays at the home of his grandmother on the County Down coast in Northern Ireland and I learned from this book that when I was I was born in that constituency she was the Ulster Unionist MP.

He had a lot to overcome with that parliamentary background but you cannot help liking the chap. He writes at great pace, he has a lot to tell and packs 110 chapters into 400 pages. There is never a dull minute and even the inevitable disappointments and sadnesses of life serve only to spur him on to more enthusiatic exploits. I think if anyone else had written this book I could have given in to cynicism with all this enthusiasm but I just couldn't. I admire what he has achieved and how he has done it, by hard work and dedication and sticking to the task.

I am sure this story will be a must-read for the boys and young men of the Scouts. I hope it inspires some of them to try harder, perervere and achieve.
on 6 January 2016
An interesting and insightful read about the Great Bear himself, which charts his life from childhood and experiences at boarding school, onto the gruelling selection process he went through the to enter the SAS, and finally the personal account of climbing Mount Everest. I felt Bear was writing this book with a good deal of honesty and wanted to show people that he is an ordinary guy, but one who has a steely determination to never quit and give up, but is able to summon up courage and fight from the depths within himself. It is not written to a high literary level, but more as you would imagine Bear thinks and talks normally. It certainly kept me interested and the pages turning rapidly. If you like Bear Grylls, then you will like the book to, and even if you don't it is still an interesting read.
on 2 July 2012
A good book,Bear Grylls has led a packed life and although he had a privileged upbringing he is a down to earth self-effacing guy.

The book starts with him describing his political connections,through his grandparents and later his father,and his childhood on the Isle of Wight through to his Eton school days.

The book,however,gets more interesting as he describes trying to pass the SAS selection and climbing to the summit of Mount Everest.The man must be a masochist the amount of pain his body has been through to acheive his goals is quite amazing.

He comes across as a charming modest individual who loves nothing more than to be outdoors in the wild leading expeditions and forming a great camararderie with all those around him. Above all a great role-model to the young and a very worthy chief scout.
on 6 November 2017
A fantastic read should you have not read any of the previous books. If you have you may have find it a little repeatitive... If not I'd recommend it!!
on 4 February 2014
If you, like me, are interested in the great outdoors and enjoy any of Bear Grylls tv shows this book is a must read.
It is a wonderful insight into the hard ships that he has faced. It teaches the importance of thing in life that people take for granted and don't appreciate like the countryside, great outdoors and the air we breathe, opposed to the materialistic life fuelled by money.

I read it in four days. I only didn't give it 5 stars cause I wanted more detail, more stories and more in general.
on 29 July 2014
I do like old Bear (real name Edward) and although he has had a very priviledged upbringing (what normal child has the option of going sailing and climbing every weekend??) he has an obvious thirst for a challenge and I was very impressed by his SAS experience (does go on a lot though) and the fact that he climbed Everest at such a young age.
on 27 September 2012
I really enjoyed this book, even though I don't normally read autobiographies, but enjoy Bear's TV shows and wanted to find out more.

I must admit I took this book with a pinch of salt as he is clearly a character who likes to embellish things to make them appear more exciting and interesting, but to be honest it works. That's not to say the stories aren't interesting in their own right and that his achievements aren't worthy of merit - they are and he's a hugely likeable and determined character. Everything just comes across as if he's trying overly-hard to impress. That said, the format clearly works as his book sales and TV shows demonstrate and, as I've said, I'm a fan of both of these.

If you like Bear Grylls, this book is a great read and interesting background that describes how he got to where he is today. Thoroughly enjoyable!
on 27 August 2011
Interesting insight into a complete lunatic! The book really focuses on his selection into the SAS and his ascent of Everest. With brief reflections on his childhood and time at Eton. Anyone interested in his TV career or more recent adventures needs to look elsewhere. Bear is obviously a person driven to succeed and has a strong faith taking him on his journey. Inspirational and enjoyable read. Hear is someone who teaches us all to try and try again......
on 21 October 2014
If you are expecting a literature classic then look away now. I bought this book without any great expectations and I wasn't in search of survival tips or the type of stuff you see in his tv programmes.

Read this book if you are interested in the person behind the fiction and if you like a simply written story about a pretty normal but determined guy who more than anything loves his family.

For those who complain about his religious views.. Well it's his own biography, not yours.

For those who think his shows are all fake, grow up. It's called TV.
on 7 October 2017