on 20 November 2017
We're on the way to adopting our first sighthound, and I've been working my way through various books, and picked this one up thinking it would both be a bit of light reading and that I'd perhaps pick up some tips along the way.

Although quite entertaining in parts, there were just too many things that made me feel uncomfortable and frustrated with the relationship between man (the author that is) his best friend to get maximum enjoyment from the read. Without wanting to give away too many spoilers, I, like the author, agree that dogs should have the opportunity to run off-lead if possible, however, I don't believe this should be at the cost of it's own safety or that of anyone else for that matter. I also belong to a couple of groups that the author seems to have developed a unhealthy resentment towards, that is runners and cyclists, and being bitten by a dog whilst out running is something that I've experienced firsthand, so am always happy to encounter considerate owners with their dogs safely under control .

Having said that, it's worth a read, and I'll probably get the follow-up book just to see how things worked out for them over the long term.
on 16 July 2011
This is the first Stephen Foster book I have read, and I bought it based on various good reviews, but it was better than I had expected. A very open and honest account of the author's experience with a rescue dog, that many dog owners will relate to. It would also serve as an education to those considering dog ownership for the first time, particularly rescue dogs, without being discouraging.

Although my involvement with dogs was mostly with a family owned Lab/cross, when I was a teenager to early 20's, I could relate to so much of the account. The Lurcher/Saluki cross described appears to have a particular tendency to wayward behaviour, which combined with his pre-rescue experiences made him a very strange dog to learn to manage.

The author's views on other dog owners and show dog breeders; various potential hazards, such as cyclists and joggers; as well as life in general, were a very amusing background to the developing relationship with his rescue dog. His personal views are not going to be shared by everyone, but I found his willingness to admit mistakes equally common as humourous thoughts on people or things he disliked in life.

Altogether, I found Stephen Foster to be a very straightforward and down to earth writer, sharing aspects of his everyday life, whilst educating and entertaining in equal measure. I've just ordered, Along Came Dylan, the follow up, recounting the arrival of the second dog, which I am really looking forward to reading.
on 23 September 2007
Walking Ollie in my view is a book about self discovery for the author. We learn as much about the author and his changing view of life as we do about his new dog.

Stephen Foster's first novel `Strides' is one of my all time favorites. The ingredients that makes `Strides' so good is present in `Walking Ollie', and that is an un-flinching honesty in the tale. There is no pretence and or cliché's. This makes for a tale that is often close to our own private thoughts and experiences. It also helps us recognize some of our own issues and laugh at them.

If readers are looking for a cute story about a playful puppy, they will be disappointed. What they will find instead is a story about a man that develops a greater sense of peace though learning to live with his difficult pet.

This was a wonderful book!
4 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2014
At first I thought this was going to be a light-hearted look at homing a rescue dog, and it was. But as you read on, you realise that it is something far deeper. The determination of the author to succeed in what seems to be a hopeless relationship is heart rending. I recognised so many 'dog people' traits, and so will you.
on 19 March 2007
A lovely short book on the trials and tribulations of settling into life with Ollie, a rescue dog who had the misfortune to experience a terrible start in life, which clearly had an impact on his psyche. It is not as detailed as the book Marley and Me by John Grogan but is just as lovely a story.
6 people found this helpful
on 2 April 2015
great read
One person found this helpful
on 13 December 2015
a good read funny at times
on 29 July 2013
Found some of it a bit irritating been a dog owner of many years all in all a disappointing read..
on 16 December 2012
I was asked for this as a gift by a friend, she loves it! I on the other hand have never read it!
on 13 February 2009
An amusing & heart-warming read, a cute, short book which is unchallenging to literary skillsd & is oh so predictable unfortunately!