Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 11 February 2006
This is a wonderful area for walking, but you need to know what you are doing and where you are going - the moor is no place to get lost. This handy guidebook is just what's needed.
This excellent, bright and clear book has a good mix of walks from easy to some real challenges, all well described and with the kind of detail I like - including compass directions, OS map sections, timings, climbs and descents, pubs and GPS information. I also like the spiral binding so you can fold the book right back at the page you need without damaging it.
I would not hesitiate to recommend this inspiring guidebook to beginner and expert alike.
on 26 February 2006
This is a new approach to a walking guide for Dartmoor. It is fresh, attractive and practical - I like the spiral binding. I am getting into GPS navigation and so am delighted with the GPS waypoints in the book. Not only do you know that the authors have walked the route exactly as described, you can download the data into your handheld GPS unit and follow the route - no chance of getting lost.
The walk description are particularly good. There is a balance between getting the facts of the route over to the reader, but there is also background information that adds to your understanding of the landscapes you pass through.
The information bars at the start of each route are really useful - you can tell at a glance detail such as ascents & descents, time and distance, even refreshment advice. And I was quite surprised to see that the OS maps are the very latest with CROW land etc. - right up to date. Good photos too.
I am trying to think of a criticism - but I can't. Excellent book.
on 28 February 2006
This book is the ideal size to carry with you on a walk, and provides all the detail neded to follow the walk. Points of interest are highlighted, and often illustrated with excellent photographs. My only gripe is that the photos are a little small for my rather old eyes. Larger photos would have made the book bulkier or they would have to eliminated some - so I suppose the compromise is about right for most people.
I have found that the walks are accurately described with the time taken predictable from the book.
The unusual feature of the book is the provision of GPS way point data, so by loading the way points into your gps before setting off, you can simply follow the route knowing you are exactly on the intended path. I found this reassuring, and it certainly added an element of interest to the walks.
Overall, a book I heartily recommend, I will be looking out for more books in the series.
on 2 February 2009
A well written book with lots of interesting historical facts regarding the long and varied history of Dartmoor. The clear intructions and minaturised copy of the appropriate Ordnance Survey maps are very useful. It is still best to take a full size OS map, compass, GPS plus other safety equipment, particularly when conditions are poor. The weather can change in minutes.

The GPS references in the back of the book must be checked before you set out.

The walking times are somewhat optimistic, although to be fair he does not allow for stops. We did Walk 1 in 6 hours rather than the 4 and a 1/4 suggested. So, in my opinion, it is best to allow more time to stop for a leisurely lunch and take photos of the beautiful views.
on 21 September 2011
I ordered this book from Amazon, along with an OS map, for a walking holiday on Dartmoor. We tried three of the walks, and I must start by saying how pleased we were to have such beautiful starting points for our expeditions. However we found the directions very unclear at times, sometimes standing for ten minutes trying to work out what the directions meant and then having to find our own way back to the car by luck, guesswork and trying different routes. Also the times given for the walks were generally underestimated by more than half.
For example, on the Grenofen Bridge walk the book directs you to go down to cross a cinder track and then continue down to a grassy dip. Do not do so! Turn right onto the cinder track up through some trees, or the helicopters will be out looking for you.
As another example, on the walk past St. Raphael church you are first of all directed to go through a couple of gates and turn right down an obvious grassy track. Unfortunately this splits into two obvious grassy tracks, If you veer down the left track [and I don't suggest that you do] you will find yourself going down through a boggy field to a cattle-mired slough in front of some trees and puzzling over your OS map [you did bring an OS map, didn't you?]. Later on the same walk you are directed to cross two sets of stepping stones. When we went the river was running high and both sets of stones were submerged. We were able to detour the first, but the only way to get over the second to our nearby car - without retracing the whole route - was to wade waist deep through the river with our boots strung round our necks. It was a wonderful bonding experience to have survived the endurance test of this six hour expedition, but it was not the pleasant hour and a half introductory ramble described.

I still like this book, and I may try further walks from it on our next trip, but will either have GPS, or, as we learned to do by the end of our holiday, use the OS map and compass first, take the directions with a pinch of salt and just use the guide book for a starting point..
on 5 April 2010
This book contains some excellent walks exploring all of the best bits of Dartmoor. It's probably the most comprehensive walking guide out there at the moment for Dartmoor. There is a problem with the book however which is it's highly irritating writing style written in the first person plural e.g. 'we follow the path alongside the leat, easy walking as the gently flowing water entrances us'. All very poetic but it omits the fact that to get to the delightful leat you had to take a poorly signposted right turn. So something a little less flowery like 'turn right on to the bridleway before the gate' would be more helpful! I have done several of the walks but not actually been able to follow the exact routes for any of them as these omissions/poor directions are fairly common. I think this is probably because it is assumed (like most of the other reviewers of this book) that people will be using GPS which I don't have. Nothing a bit of common sense and a good OS Explorer map can't sort out, but annoying nonetheless. Overall however a great pointer towards some of the best bits on Dartmoor and particularly strong on finding the best of the many fascinating ancient stone rows, menhirs, stone circles etc.
on 1 May 2014
This has become my main walking guide to Dartmoor. I haven't taken to GPS as recommended in the guide - reading the reviews of those who've tried them put me off. I manage perfectly well with this guide, a good map and compass. The guide gives bearings and useful indications of the time between "waypoints" so navigation presents few problems even over featureless terrain.
on 15 December 2009
Bought as a gift for a photography enthusiast looking for the best places on dartmoor. Was found to be very useful and was appreciated. Good detail for walkers as well.
on 8 October 2009
This was our first trip to Dartmoor and from what we'd heard we knew that some help would be useful. This book exceeded our expectations. I won't go into a lot of detail but suffice to say that it told us everything we needed and was easy to use.

We had just bought a touch-screen Nokia 5800 mobile phone, and bought Ordnance Survey 25,000:1 mapping and ViewRanger software to go with it. "Walk Dartmoor" supplied route co-ordinates for all the walks and it was simple to load these into our GPS equipped phone. This was a great feature of the book and would make sure that we didn't get lost even it the thickest mist.

The end result was great. We thoroughly enjoyed the walks; wonderful views, great exercise and a terrific sense of achievment with the more difficult ones.

Thank you so much Kate and Alan!

Kind regards,

Mike and Liz Floutier (and Camber the wonder-whippet)
on 11 February 2013
An excellent little book - compact and full of info about the walks.
Useful list of waypoints for GPS users - so in theory - you can't go wrong.
Each walk well described and the photos are quite good too.
Walks are graded and also give approx time it should take.
The maps of the walks are useful but NOT a replacement for an OS map of the area for navigational purposes.