Customer reviews

on 18 April 2010
This book is not for the faint-hearted. It is full of challenging missions that will test all previously held assumptions about geography and take you into unexplored territory, possibly in your mind, rather than in your local neighbourhood.

I thought the book was very witty, well-written and full of original ideas to get children over 10 yrs of age out exploring. My own 13 yr old son thought some of the missions were very challenging and better for teenagers older than himself. He sat on the sofa chuckling away for a full half an hour reading the book. He's not especially keen on reading, so that says a lot about the layout and attractiveness of the book. It's pocket-sized and handy for taking out and about.

If you are a teacher looking for activities that dovetail nicely into your Geography curriculum, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for some doorstep ideas to liven up looking at maps and getting children to take an active interest in what's happening in the world around them, then this is a good book to buy. Some of the suggestions may even make your homework list.This book would definitely suit home-educated children.

What I also liked was the opportunity is to preview quite a bit of the book on the Mission Explore website and on their YouTube video. So I knew what I was buying. My favourite missions are:
- Seeing how far I can walk whilst sucking a mint.
- Getting some OAPs to hang out in hoodies on the street
- Leaving a chair in a park and watching to see what people do.
on 7 June 2010
Mission Explore is ace and just the kind of book I would have worshipped as a kid. The illustrations are brilliant and the missions are really fun and kooky. A great way of getting kids outside exploring and having adventures! :-)
on 24 November 2011
You'd think books couldn't be reinvented - but Mission:Explore offers a unique chance to turn readers into adventurers. Hand it to a child (the ideal age is 8-13 years) and they'll soon be outside exploring, or begging you to have a go at something slightly crazy (but fun), or suggesting that their friend would LOVE to do this. My favourite challenges are to investigate an animal crime scene (p50) and to converse with a cow (p110). But what my girls (10 and 13 years) want to do is different again. With 102 fun challenges there are plenty of exploring choices - and it helps you think up new ways to tempt children off the sofa. Ideal for families, but it's also good for anyone trying to breathe new life into their community, flick through and you'll see how. Definitely don't be surprised if you need more than one copy - it's a book gasping to be passed on.
PS - And when I said the ideal age is 8-13, I was lying. This is my book and I'm 47. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off alphabet shopping (p66) - only 56 more challenges to go... [...]
on 29 April 2010
I love this book! It begins with a checklist for 102 missions that take you into the city to explore it in unexpected ways. My nephew just turned 6 and I decided to wait for his 7th birthday to send the book as some of the missions might be a little much for him.

I love how the book invites you to write in it, stick things in the pages and generally destroy it during he course of your explorations.

Aside from its practical coolness factor, the book is hilarious to read and a great thing to have on the shelf as a "hey check this out" item when you have company over.

Worth getting!
on 21 April 2011
Sooo perfect for getting the children and their families involved! I have family child care, and we loVe going out and doing these missions :) I have referred sooo many to this awesome resource, works phenomenally well with reconnecting teenage boys too! Thanks for an incredible experience!
on 27 April 2011
My 9 year old daughter loves this book. A fun inspiration to get out and do more. Looking forward to purchasing the 'camping' one. Some of the missions seem a little far fetched but provide a talking point, so still work, if only theoretically.
on 21 August 2010
Buy this book right away... great for kids, but even better for adults and parents!
on 1 January 2014
There are loads of great activities to do in here, and also just to think about doing, which will suggest to kids things outside their comfort zone or good ways to entertain themselves. It is a nice small sized book as well, which fits easily into a small bag or lunchbox or even big pocket so a child could carry it around with them.
on 25 January 2015
Good to see some copies back in stock at an affordable price. Snap them up !
on 4 February 2015