on 31 December 2016
This used to be the 'go to' reference for newish beekeepers to read during the winter of their first year of beekeeping and it is indeed a worthy tome that includes almost everything a beekeeper should need to know, but it's been superseded by more recent books that are more readable and user-friendly. Not many people these days want blocks of text and just a few illustrations, some of which are in black and white.

The main problem I've had with this edition is that the book may have been sort of updated but the index hasn't, so searching for some subject matter has been frustratingly fruitless. Unfortunately some of the material is just plain wrong - we don't have MAFF any more, so some wouldn't even know what the acronym refers to.

That said, the book does have its uses and does offer a fairly in depth and broad ranging introduction to beekeeping and producing honey. It should, though, be read alongside more up to date material.
on 26 April 2014
As a complete beginner to bee keeping I am not really in a position to review the content of this book, which is probably the tome held in the highest regard by (certainly the local) Bee Keepers. It is a thorough and well written, excellent text book covering all aspect of hives and colony management as well as plenty of things you hope you never need! It is well illustrated with a wealth of photographs and diagrams. I have actually read it through cover to cover, but that was a mighty effort and I now use it more for dipping in to get answers on specific things. I would say that every beekeeper, active or aspiring, should have one of these on the shelf.
on 1 September 2014
Ted Hooper really knew his stuff, was practical, and obviously loved his bees. If you start with the correct advice of sticking to one source of information to avoid confusion and contradiction (everyone's an expert!?) then this is the book you should follow. Whatever is happening in the apiary, Ted will have the answer or tell you where to get it. You will constantly refer to it all the time you keep bees. Yes there are more modern books and chemicals etc. but as a foundation for your hobby, you will not find better information.
on 11 September 2017
Great book full of info to help bee keeper's both novice and experienced. Well written with lots of colour photos and illustrations.
on 30 January 2017
This book gave me the info I needed to decide against keeping bees. It was more involved than I had anticipated and therefor saved me all lot of time and money, I would have loved to have taken beekeeping on, but the area we had planned for the hive/s was completely unsuitable, and I should not have known this had it not been for the info in this book.
on 2 October 2017
Excellent book by a well respected expert.
Every scenario is explained in detail without overwhelming.
Easy to follow, so also makes a good reference book.
Highly recommended.
on 2 August 2010
Having taken up beekeeping a couple of years okay I have several books in my bee library but the late Ted Hoopers book is considered by many to be one of the best. Its seems a little heavy going when you first start out and I would recommend a book like 'Bees at the bottom of my garden' but as your knowledge and experience grow this is the book that you will refer back to time and time again.

My only critiscm is that the book has not been updated and all measurements are in 'old money' so I have to convert everything but that is a minor gripe for such a great compilation of really useful information.

A really great book, well thumbed, well used, well recommended!
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2011
I wanted a good background reader about the lives of bees and beekeeping -after a swarm had quietly assembled in our garden. We called a registered bee keeper and he persuaded them into a temporary hive. I realised that I knew nothing about bees and their lives. This book met my needs. If I had one criticism -then it's my usual one -more pictures in colour please..this is the 21st century....
on 5 May 2017
Very good book that will tell you almost everything you need to know about beekeeping...
on 3 April 2014
This is a standar text book on Beekeeping.
It is THE BOOK to help on your road to increasing you understanding of Beekeeping and moving up to more complicated books on hte subject.
I found it a very enjoyable book to read with excellent content presented in a very readable format.
It is a standard work that all serious beekeepers should read.