on 16 May 2009
I am a therapy radiographer. I bought this book to make sense of the articles I was reading on monoclonal antibodies with hazard ratios, odds ratios, confidence intervals, p-values, regression models and Kaplan-Meier survival plots.
The book has small bite-size chapters on each subject which are really easy to read. Each section points out the importance of the statistical topic and how easy they are to follow.
What is particularly useful is the examples of each subject that are provided which takes a topic and breaks it down and explains what the statistical term means for that example.
Each section also has an 'exam tip' at the end pointing out the topics examiners like to ask about.
At the end of the book there is a section where you can rest your understanding of the statistics used in actual research papers. Although I failed dismally at spotting all the statistics used, it gave me a useful framework which I used to critique an article for my assignment.
All in all, an excellt book which made reading articles MUCH easier and allowed me to understand the results of the articles I was reading.
on 26 May 2010
I don't own a copy of the original edition of this book; in fact I've not even seen a copy so I am unable to comment on how much better of worse this edition is in comparison. What I can comment on, however, is how utterly grief stricken I am having realised half way through life that such a book exists! It verges on being the Holy Grail for Idiots! If ever there was a book that completely lived up to its title, this is it. The first three pages are devoted to explaining how to even use the book (not many things are made that easy), and the next couple explain the design of the book. I almost feel that I should merely compile a list of excellent features this book exhibits but space would clearly not allow so I'll concentrate on a select, but by no means exhaustive few. There are eight sections divided into a total of 24 chapters (unfortunately none of these are numbered - a minor drawback), each of which tackles a particular aspect of statistics or statistical test. The first chapter, for example, looks at percentages and this is then followed by chapters on Mean, Mode and Median and so the book goes on, passing through p values, t tests, regression, odds ratio, survival analysis, etc, etc. Everything is covered. Perhaps above everything, it is the chapter layout and design that makes this book stand out head and shoulders above the crowd. At the beginning of each chapter two questions are posed - how important is the subject in question and how difficult is it to understand. The first is answered on the basis of how often the subject is mentioned / used in papers published in mainstream medical journals. A star rating is then given from one to five with five stars implying use in the majority of papers published. The second question is answered by means of a `thumbs up' grading system. The more thumbs, the easier the concept is to understand (maximum of five). This, of course, provides a route into statistics for even the most idle of uneducated individuals! Five stars and five thumbs must surely indicate time-efficient learning! Chapters then continue to follow a uniform format with short paragraphs explaining what each particular aspect means and when it is used. Common pitfalls are also explained and highlighted boxed examples are given in each case. At the end of each chapter exam tips (light bulb icon!) are given - I doubt anyone could ask for more! The whole way in which the authors have written this book is commendable; the chapters are succinct, easy to follow and a pleasure to read. Even the total lack of colour doesn't seam to detract from the excellence of this book, it really is brilliant and the glossary at the back of the book must surely be capable of ensuring a couple of extra marks in the FRCS(Urol) written paper. Is it value for money - a definite yes even at twice the price. Of course I never exaggerate but if you breathe, you should own this book!
on 5 October 2009
I used this book when studying for the AKT (GP exam) and found it was just the right level, and made things understandable. Much more user friendly than some of the other books out there.
on 6 May 2010
Statistics have never been so easy! Maybe some more details on research could be included, but overall, easy to understand(especially the thumbs-up and stars signs prepare you for what to expect!). Highly recommended for those sitting the AKT.
on 31 December 2010
This book is amazing, not only that explains things very easy and to the point but it doesn;t look scary at all. With the help of this book I will pass my stat exam :D I recommend it to people that are very scared of this weird science called statistics :D
on 23 July 2008
Just about the only book on statistics that I've ever been able to understand. Not designed to teach you how to do statistics but how to tell what other people's statistics actually mean. Contains really helpful explanations of the importance and meaning of most common (and many uncommon) statistical concepts that clinicians are likely to encounter in the medical literature. I'm not competent to judge the accuracy, but for sheer comprehensibility it easily surpasses anything else on the shelves in our health library.
on 24 February 2012
I hate stats. I just don't seem to be able to understand it all. Unfortunately in my profession, medical journals use stats all the time, plus exams use them too.

I was recommended this book by a colleague.

Basically it's basically 'Stats for Dummies', which is great, although I still occasionally confused, but I hope it should get me through the basics with a better understanding or just enough to get me through the exam!

Easy read and well layed out!
on 30 July 2010
I liked the way author has presented a huge subject in such a concise and simple manner. Examples are also relevant which helps to have better understanding of the subject. So this is a good book to start with but you will need a more detailed book if you want to understand the concepts in detail
on 4 December 2011
Easy to read and follow with very simple explanation of testing and results and what are the key points. Useful to have another book for more in depth reading and understanding but this book definitely hit the spot.
on 14 April 2011
I have read many books over the years to understand medical statistics, and this book answered all my questions once and for all! We were always taught in medical school to explain things in simple and jargon-free terms to patient...and this is exactly how this book delivers its contents. This book is more of an introduction, in depth reading is required if you need to understand more about medical statistics. Overall I would recommend this book to be the first book to read if you want to understand medical statistics.