on 15 February 2002
Such a lovely book. The shawl patterns have knitted up beautifully and I have made very special gifts that are authentic and priceless. To purchase similar items would cost the earth!
The instructions are very straightforward and with a little planning they are easily followed. I found it useful to make several photocopys of the intructions for the borders. This meant that I could easily keep track of where I was during the working of the repeated border pattern. I also photocopied the rest of the pattern and was able to track the whole of the knitting without spoiling the book for future projects.
I easily obtained the correct yarn for the work using the information given in the book. The suppliers were helpful and efficient.
Finishing instructions are clear, simple and give lovely results. For those who love to knit beautiful items this book is a gem. I love it!
on 19 July 2000
I am very happy with this book. Although at first glance the instructions might seem a little complicated to the less experienced knitter, when the pattern is read through carefully, the instructions become quite easy to follow. The gossamer web shawl is particularly beautiful
on 8 August 2002
Firstly I borrowed this book from the library, only being so impressed with it I had to have a copy for myself...The lovely patterns are not as complicated as they look..Anyone with a reasonable knowledge of knitting should be able to cope with them as they are very clearly written...The fine yarns used, need to be knitted carefully with loose tension for satisfactory results, and they are easily obtainable fom the address given...The 1ply is particularly beautiful, the lacey results are like a cob web. Before begining to knit with this fine yarn for the first time, I would advise anyone to try out some of the pattern swatches at the begining of the book first,..The Belinda Shoulder Shawl, and The Philip and Michael Shawl are really lovely...Because the book was borrowed when I knitted them, I photocopied the patterns like the first reviewer, and found this an invaluable help...In my opinion this book is one of the ways to keep lace knitting alive...a must for every lace knitter!!..
on 24 July 2012
I love traditional Shetland knits and have turned out a number of complex Fairisles over the years. On one or the other of my orders from Jamieson & Smith Shetland Wool Brokers, I ordered some beautiful lace wool and recently decided to do something with it. I tried a number of patterns from various lace knitting books, all with charts, and none seemed to work out properly. I am not certain why some reviewers are deducting points for lack of charts in this book, as charts are not a great deal of use unless they are totally accurate and easily legible. The instructions in Shetland Lace are extremely precise, with the count of stitches which you should have at the end of every row clearly listed. This is absolutely vital when you are knitting lace which involves a lot of increasing and decreasing, and utilises ultra fine wool which you really do not want to undo if at all possible. I decided to knock myself out and do the shawl on the cover. I am powering through the scalloped border and am awaiting a collection of markers, stitch holders etc all ordered through Amazon, to help me keep track when I pick up the hundreds of stitched for the body of the shawl.
on 1 September 2012
This book is chock full of inspiring pictures and patterns that really make you want to get knitting. It is also very informative and tells you all the hints and tips on how to make the most of your crafting ability. All the information is beautifully and clearly presented, making it a joy to work from.
I particularly love the way that the pattern instructions are given in the 'verbal' style used by the Shetland Islanders when knitting in groups or learning how to create the wonderful lacework. I thought it would be impossibly difficult to learn a new way of giving knitting instructions but it turned out be easier than the traditional 'K2 psso'!
Enjoyed every word and will use this book again and again.
review image review image
on 7 March 2012
I'm quite disappointed by this book, I was expecting something more. The shawls themselves are beautiful but the design of the book and selection of photos is not appealing at all.

The two biggest downfalls are that it doesn't use regular knitting abbreviations and there are no charts. I am an experienced lace knitter and I had problems following the patterns, they are a bit confusing and I had to re-write the instructions using standard knitting abbreviations to avoid checking what each of the symbols mean.

If you're interested in Shetland lace, I'd highly recommend Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller.
on 15 December 2011
This book is a joy to own. Instructions are clear and the pictures show the item and its pattern well. The abbreviations are rather idiosyncratic but bear with them as it is like learning any new abbreviations once learnt you are away. I copied the abbreviations page (after deciding against transcribing the entire instructions into more familiar abbreviations) but haven;t actually needed it. And at least you don;t have to cope with charts - these instructions are definitely easier to follow...

I am currently knitting the shawl pictured on the front cover and am thrilled with the way it is coming out.
on 12 November 2011
It is nice to know what is in this kind of book prior to purchase in this case I had looked through the book in a shop prior to buying it on amazon. The illlustrations are good but one big downfall is that it doesn't use regular knitting abbreviations allthought there is a list of abbreviations at the rear of the book it is a nuisance to have to keep looking them up. The whole book would be a lot better updated and written using conventional abbreviations as I think I will have to rewrite any pattern I use prior to starting knitting.
on 27 June 2011
This book is very inspiring. The patterns are beautiful. The major drawback is the total lack of charts, which make the patterns a lot less accessible.
on 20 May 2011
My biggest complaint is that the book only has written instructions and no charts. Of course one could quickly draw up a chart on graph paper, this is still a considerable shortcoming when nowadays charts in lace knitting books are standard.

That said, the book is a useful addition to any experienced and enthusiastic lace knitter's library. There is a section at the front with a small stitch dictionary and general instructions followed by a number of patterns. I am more likely to use the book as a source of inspiration for how one can combine stitch patterns in a shawl, but the patterns themselves are for the most part good-looking. (I am not so convinced by a long lace skirt.) The baby items are especially appealing to me. The photos are a bit dated, but the book is well-produced.