on 11 July 2004
As with the step by step nude phtography in the same series this book combines stunning photographs with good sensible and practical advice. There is no snobbery, the techniques will work with most digital cameras, and I'm sure photographers at all levels will find something new in the book. My only criticism is that the second half of the book (which deals with manipulation of the images once captured) focuses solely on the use of Adobe Photoshop, and also some techniques are repeated from the other books in the series. That's a minor niggle though with such a quality product, a good buy and a good read.
0Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 November 2013
I was hoping to learn about landscape photography. What I got instead was a general primer to photography.

I am more so disappointed because I own several books published by Ilex on Photoshop which I rate and I purchased "Step-by-Step Digital Landscape Photography" in the belief that it would be up to the standard of the Photoshop books. I was wrong.

The book has four chapters that deal with Digital Cameras, Taking Great Landscape Shots, Digital Darkroom Techniques and Showing Your Pictures. Each chapter has very short introductions and explanations, so for example, in the first chapter there are double-page spreads devoted to: the camera and its controls, the lens, focusing, exposure, white balance, low light, using flash and scanning. In "The Camera and Its Controls" It has a small section on camera flash and all it says about it is "Most digital cameras come with a small built-in flash. For more serious work you need to buy a separate hand-held flashgun." Most of the other sub-headings in this section (and other chapters), are handled in a similar way.

Reading this book, I got the impression that those responsible for it got hold of an introduction to photography book and just gave it a landscape leaning by substituting all the photographs with photographs of seascapes, hills, mountains, sunsets, fields of flowers etc.

I have been taking landscape photography for only a year now and already I am aware of many things not covered by this book. In my opinion, its a lost opportunity by the publishers.
on 10 September 2010
This is not a full review, but some thoughts on this book. I bought it with the aim of improving by Landscape photography. I didn't spot the 2003 publication date. The book starts as a primer for new converts to digital photography.

It quickly introduces areas such as f-stops, shutter speed and rule of thirds. The book is not particularly well written. Much of the prose is 6th form at best. Having introduced the 'rule-of-thirds' early the subject if dropped only a group of trees to be described as 'on the third'. This would probably confused a true beginner. Similar topics are introduced in passing but too quickly. Experienced photographers know this very well. Beginners need clearer text, not hurried brevity.

An example is mentioning that a ugly electricity pole was 'cloned out', many chapters before this is first covered is poor.

There are typos that really should have been spotted. Some of the photos are too small to see or learn from properly. very little of the photography is truly first class.

I have many books on photography in general and this is the least well written and thought out.
on 15 March 2013
This is easy and useful and is all I needed to gat me started with confidence, images and text are superb and clear text helps to make this new learning curve that much easier...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse