on 2 January 2017
This was a gift for someone it's more like a booklet or brochure than an actual book and has staples holding bit together if you are after the book this is not for you it's a short itemised list.
on 6 December 2016
Very good book. It is short and straight to the point, nothing else needed. Sun Tze's view apply for many parts in our live: work and social live. To me, it also applies on my own skill in fighting. As a martial artist, these things are very important to know and they help become better. It definitely is a good book I can recommend to all, who would like to feel some enlightenment. :)
on 27 May 2016
With an interesting introduction discussing Sun Tzu and the events surrounding him when the book was written, followed by the translated text and then again with notes from the author made this an interesting read with lots of fascinating information about the man and the work.
on 7 January 2014
Reading this book, i found it very compelling and an instant page-turner. Ιt is an accumulation of all the wisdom the Eastern philosophy can provide on military matters. Althought it was written centuries go it can provide valuable insight not only on military decisions but also on personal matters and everyday life. I highly recommend it not only to military enthusiasts but also to people who want to understand the logic of decision making.
on 28 April 2013
There is so much you can learn from this. Although primarily referenced to war, the way in which it's written is on philosophical terms rather than direct mechanisms, which make it applicable to many things in life.
In terms of the book itself by the author, apart from the introduction, it only comments on small things which may be confusing to the modern reader. The blue and down shown on the cover is only really a strap, which if you take off makes it just a black book with barely noticeable title. However this is what I love about this particular book. Everything is just so simple, and when searching for the right book to buy, my ideal choice was one where I could read through and attempt to understand with my own thoughts rather than have so many commentaries and notes covering each page, so this fits the bill for me.
on 9 April 2014
People will always disagree, but getting through the disagreement without the massive collateral damage that goes with conflict is a much undervalued approach. Sun Tzu offers insightful advice to help master those anxieties, manage your resources towards peace of mind and to end disagreement in the most decisive and holistic manner possible so that life can return to it's normal routine of tea and cake. He may be cunning, shrewd, devious and even ruthless, but without his no-compromise approach to obtaining peace, well.. you may well find out why one should never fight a land war in asia!
on 3 September 2014
A fascinating read, truly a work of incredible insight and at times a reminder to keep it simple and use a little common sense. It's understandable why business employ the tenets albeit with a view to manoeuvring the competitor into a weaker business position. The information within has many useful (and thankfully peaceful) applications. The General was truly a remarkable man. I would recommend anyone to have a read just to see where the tenets can be used in very mundane circumstances to help in many quite ordinary circumstances.
on 8 June 2016
In case you're expecting a thick tome, or a novel: it's basically a super-thin, super-simple pamphlet guide. That being said, it's riveting. Each "lesson" makes you stop and think, and while I'm not a very philosophical or meditative person, I found myself musing on the various rules of war, and how they apply to my personal and professional life. A bargain buy!
on 1 June 2011
Fantastic book, Sun Tzu is a military genius.
I know British special forces still apply a lot of tactics mentioned this this book, probably one of the reasons they have such a high mission success rate.
Me and a few friend applied a few tactics from this book when we went paint balling such as:

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate."

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."

We won by miles, they had no idea what hit them.
Or if that's not your thing its a good read any day.
on 17 October 2015
A superb work on strategy. Most readers will get through this book without realising the strategies within are being used against them right now by their own governments. For those who want to know how the masters put the strategies detailed here into practice try: New World Order: The International Communist Revolution Engineered By The Criminal Elite. Their Strategies And The Counter Strategies.