Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2006
I found this book to be very helpful. Best of all are the tables which show you exactly how much tax you will save through a company if you structure your pay correctly (personally I stand to save over £15,000). I also enjoyed the clear explanation of how sole traders and companies are taxed. I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone who has a business.
on 30 August 2007
I enjoyed reading this and would like to compliment the author on the "readability" factor. The information provided is made very clear and includes many thought provoking examples, and unlike most tax guides has been kept up to date, taking into consideration recents changes such as the Arctic Systems case. I look forward to buying more of the authors books in the future.
Paying nearly £25 for a 120 pages book I was expecting a masterpiece. I am not the kind of person that links price to length of a book as it is the content that matters. This is nothing more than a very basc booklet. If you are an absolute beginner this could be helpful otherwise there is nothing new. Most of the info can be found for free by browsing the internet. Not impressed and will return the book. Worth no more than £10
on 22 October 2008
I have read dozens of books on corporation tax and found that this book has taught me more than any other. It really expanded my knowledge of company tax, dividends, incorporations and as a consequence, I recommend it fully.
on 18 July 2009
We were running our small but well established business for over 25 years and had always been considering the pros and cons of using a comapny to operate our business. This book helped me to easily visualise those pros and cons and come to the right conclusion. The figures tables are particularly useful. If you're asking yourself the same questions as we have relating to comapanies; this book is a good first step.
Many "self-employed" professionals and small businesses are faced with the question of whether they should start a limited company or stay with the simpler self-employed structure. This book aims to help the reader to answer that question in a simple and straightforward manner. As such it is the best written and easiest to read tax book I have ever come across - which itself is worth five stars for the author.

The book leads the reader through the issues they need to consider when deciding whether to form a limited company. Most professional accountants you speak to would say you should form a company (there's fees in it for them), but Mr Hadnum shows that the answer is not so clear-cut in many cases. The book does not seek to answer the question for you - that depends on your own specific circumstances. Instead the author leads you through the issues to consider. I was surprised by the conclusion which, in my case, is that the tax saving from a limited company would be fairly small and possibly not worth the additional administrative effort and cost. Of course everyone is different, and Mr Hadnum discusses the points to consider in a very clear and surprisingly readable style.

My one reservation with the book is its cost new. £25 for just over 100 pages seems excessive, and I would advising buying a copy which is two or three years old. These are much cheaper second-hand and, although the tax rates may not be spot on, the broad issues remain the same and you can update the tax rates in the calculations by searching the HMRC website.

Overall a very very good tax book for small businesses and those who are not expert in the field. Excellent.
on 5 July 2009
Such a pity that the information in this book is a couple of years behind current tax events. As such it shold be taken off the shelves as it is definitely not worth the high price being asked. If it were fully in date then it would be an invaluable source of information and worth every penny.

If an up-to-date version is published I would buy it.
on 19 January 2013
Detailed introduction to tax and good knowledgeable information. Ideal if you are wondering whether to go into an incorporated company or not. Easily understandable to everyone.
Bit pricey though
on 29 August 2012
This serves as a useful introduction to payment by dividends. It's mostly targeted at sole traders and partnerships informing them of the tax saving benefits including company incorporation for an existing business. Though the comparisons are useful for anybody in a young limited company just coming into profit and considering paying dividends for the first time.

However it only took me a couple of hours to read, skipping many bits not relevant to my circumstances. I do think it's seriously over-priced and I would have preferred to pay about £10 for it. However I suppose it's a relatively low volume, specialist publication so they need a premium price to make some money from it.
on 13 November 2010
This is by far the best down to earth and simple tax book i've read so far. It does seem expensive on amazon, but it will save your thousands. I got mine second hand of other wbesites and only paid 61p. However I am probably going to buy it off Amazon just so the author can have the £20+ as it is such good information.

Very clearly laid out. I arent a good learner from books, especially not numerical inormation, but the tables and examples help a great deal, instead of just pages of endless paragraphs.