Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 December 2012
Found it hard to get into - to many characters - Gave up half way through. and found something more interesting!!
on 22 October 2008
Hi, I came back on to Amazon to buy this book for a friend and I can't understand why it has not been reviewed yet. I first read it a couple of years ago and still rate it as the best book I have every read. I still think about this book frequently. I have never read a book twice in my life but this one I will. It actually makes you understand how corrupt our higher powers are. Although it is fiction, it is written by a former aid worker who has admitted some areas of the book are fact. I cannot impress how brilliant this book is.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 April 2010
An intriguing novel set in the troubled Darfur region of Sudan. The exploration of the complex political issues surrounding foreign aid and its role in alleviating - but also sometimes worsening - humanitarian crises is handled very well, with real understanding whilst maintaining an interesting and readable story. I felt that I learnt a lot from the this book, both about the Darfur crisis and about issues around foreign aid in general.

The characters are excellently drawn and three dimensional. It is one of those books where it is easy to warm to and feel you know the characters. The sense of place is also vividly conjured up and I can 'see' even now the places depicted in the story, from the harshness of the desert to the agency's base at El Fasher.

My only real criticism would be the ending, which felt a bit rushed and didn't entirely make sense. I felt a bit frustrated that such a good story should fall at the final hurdle. However, it is a very good and well written book which I would highly recommend to anyone with an interest in Africa.
on 9 October 2009
This is an excellent read if you're interested in world affairs and how aid is distributed. Some lovely story lines but also true to life. Would read again.
on 27 January 2013
a very thought provoking story - the humanitarian crisis setting a great way to raise the difficulties around what is appropriate and effective aid
on 4 December 2012
realy good read enjoyed reading this book and maybe will read it again
full marks makes you realize that these things do go on in this world
on 6 January 2013
really could not get in to it, not my style of writing and so gave up after a chapter or two. The title and forward seemed promising.