on 29 June 2016
The last resort is a book of stark photos taken at New Brighton sea front during the 1980's which depicts families and other people at the seaside trying to relax and enjoy themselves mostly by eating and drinking despite being completely surrounded by rubbish and overflowing bins which feature in nearly every photo.Typical scenarios include the now extremely rare situations of men fixing the family car by the side of the road next to the sea front to a woman sunbathing topless in the presence of a large J.C.B Digger on a slope leading to the sea.Children are shown as buying and eating ice cream and chips or playing on the beach. I first read about this book through a book about famous photographers where the book was described as ' Depicting a society based on the cheap and struggling to maintain a sense of identity'. I would say that the book is depicting decay with people making the best of a day out. { There are two nude scenes in this book}
on 15 June 2017
I used to visit New Brighton as a child during and before the time these pictures were taken. I must admit, I don't recall it over being quite as bad as it in this book. If you want to know what a working class day out looked like in the early 80's, this is for you. I only ever went there for the doughnuts, honest.
on 1 April 2017
I've just bought a couple of Dougie Wallace books, so I already like this 'full on' approach. I saw the New Brighton show in the Henry Cole wing of the V&A when it appeared in the late 80's and bought the book at that time. Parr had penetrated an area of life that would have been easily overlooked and considered insignificant. A run down holiday resort, where people still continued to go to sit on the beach and play despite the degeneration. It was Parr's breakthrough approach...... medium format..... colour......with flash heightening the surreal juxtaposition and right up close, with an eye on bold colour. How exiting these pictures were, he could see what the subjects were oblivious to. A bold slice of realism.
on 2 September 2016
A photography book of beautiful quality, with stunning documentation of the era. This could be any seaside resort in 1980's UK, and people that were born and lived through this time will be no doubt reminded of past holidays while viewing these vivid images. Parr is a genius. 10/10
on 7 May 2017
Really nice set of photograph taken in my home town. Relevant to me, but also to anyone who wants to see a fading seaside resort in all its gaudiness. Excellent photographic documentary.
on 5 April 2017
Wonderful photography of an area close to my heart.
on 14 February 2014
Martin Parr is known for his sarcastic photography. He always make me laugh.
And again this is a mirror of Britain.
on 9 September 2010
The Last Resort (great title) is an amazing collection of photographs.

Apart from being visually stunning, they provide a fascinating window on a very specific time and place - New Brighton, a working class seaside resort in northern England in the mid 80s - not so very far away but a different world from the budget airline, foreign holiday generation of today. A time when bucket and spade holidays were still the norm, but seem to have lost any sense of excitement or genuine enjoyment.

I'm not sure how the viewer (with their nice expensive glossy coffee-table photography book) is expected to react to photos of things like children playing in litter-strewn water or people sunbathing in the shelter of rusty machinery in an industrial landscape. There is humour in the photos, but also a whiff of snobbery. I get the feeling the Parr may sometimes be laughing at, rather than with, the subjects, but it is a brilliant book of incredibly atmospheric photos nonetheless.
on 6 January 2014
I'm a fan of Martin Parr (in as far as I think to understand how he rolls) and his work. I had The Last Resort on my wish list for a while and included it in a year end photo book shopping spree.
Although I had seen most of the pictures beforehand I just had to have this classic myself.
on 26 April 2017
Wonderful book! Came really quickly too! Couldn't be happier!