Customer reviews

Play Time (Sign About)
Format: Board book|Change

on 4 December 2015
Great service! Love the books!!
on 1 March 2007
This book is part of a group of 4 with the following titles: 'Play Time', 'Meal Time', 'Getting Ready' and 'Going Out'. We used all 4 extensively after we'd mastered the basics through other books. I'd definitely recommend them all. They've been integral to us getting to a good level of communication before my daughter could speak properly, and added interest and a bigger signing vocabularly if you're ready to move on a little bit.

We started signing when she was 6 months with the important things in her life: milk, cat and dog. She suddenly got it at about 11 months and became very proficient, very quickly (we had 5 months of virtually nothing and I thought she'd never get it!). Now her spoken vocabularly is enormous and she doesn't sign quite as much, although she'll always sign certain words as she says them like 'home' when we're driving home, 'rain', 'wind', 'sore' and 'black' (for blackcurrant juice) for example, or she'll sign 'milk', 'finished', 'more', for example, if she's just too tired to speak!! I find her signing particularly useful though when I can't understand a certain word she's saying - then she'll use a sign if she knows it, to help me! "Dolly crying" is one that springs to mind recently (I thought she was trying to say the dolly was dying!). She's even started making them up herself now, for words she doesn't know, but wants me to understand.

My daughter still brings these 4 books out from the bookcase (she's just over 2yrs at the time of writing) and we will sit together and practise the signs when she's in the mood. All signs are described in words with a cartoon picture of a boy or girl doing the signs, and is very accessible.
on 4 January 2010
A baby can start communicating from about 9 months old with signing and avoid unnecessary frustration. This book and the others in the series are exactly what I was looking for and helps the parents and me, a new grandma, to learn how to communicate by British signing easily.
on 26 June 2009
I believe it is important to teach toddlers how to sign when they are still trying to learn to talk. This helps to ward off frustrations in communication for them as well as for their carers! All of this set of Sign About books is well done.
on 29 August 2010
I chose to do baby sign(she is not a deaf child) with our wee one from around 4 months,after a ropey start with some American sign books,finally found some British ones-these are great and very useful.Even got the local library convinced to get them in!
Our wee one is now 2 and her speech and command of language is amazing.SHe is very advanced for her age and I believe that using baby sign has in part given her that advantage.
on 13 December 2007
Watch out! Although it is not specified (yet) this is the ASL version. Amazon do stock the BSL version which is a bit more expensive.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2015
Wonderful book. We love signing with our little one. He rarely gets frustrated because he can sign quite a few words now. He likes looking at the book and we copy the signs together. He definitely has his favourites and keeps pointing to them. Great way to communicate with babies and toddlers while they develop their language skills.
on 27 November 2011
these books are lovely. they have very good pictures and describes the sign movement ver clearly. about 10 signs per page. really good value for money. hard back so durable. my niece and nephew love the my first animal signs book as well.
on 16 October 2013
I bought this book as a reminder of signs for staff at my pre-school. It's fun to share with young children and especially for children with speech and language difficulties.
on 13 June 2015
Bought to learn basic signing for myself as granddaughter who has Downs is just beginning to communicate. Clear attractive illustrations to interest a child also.