on 27 June 2016
Lovely book with clear instructions and illustrations. I bought this when my baby was around 3 months old. I would be interested to hear from others in comments below what age they started with their baby and what age the baby started signing back. I think my baby might start to have understood "milk" and "sleep" a month after starting so curious what experiences others have had, and a quick scroll through reviews didn't come up with much. In return I'll update this review once I start seeing her repeat signs back to me.

UPDATE: Our baby is now nearly 6 months old and seems to understand the sign for milk. I just have to say it to her and she pushes herself back, smiles and opens her mouth ready for a feed. We have started weaning and hence using the sign for eat too. She seemed to pick that up very quickly and smiles and kicks her legs when we do the sign for it.
12 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 April 2017
This is a lovely book, which covers a lot of the signs we are learning in our BSL baby sign classes. It is great having a book that Daddy can look at with our daughter, as he misses out on the classes and is finding it harder to learn. He reads the book most evenings and practices with me.
It is important to check whether your classes are BSL or ASL based, as many of the signs are very different. This book uses BSL signs.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2018
Our little boy is nearly two, being brought up in a bilingual house, he has been slow to speak, with only a few words, apparently this is quite normal. However he has taken to signing very well, and this is his favourite book. He brings it to us to go through the signs, and sits to study it himself. He can do about two thirds of the signs, and can do two word sentences, which makes life a lot easier for us. The first sign he learnt was 'nappy'; when he needed a change, which made the book worth its weight in gold for this one word only. (Bizarely, but very nice for us, his second word was 'thank you'.) I would strongly recommend to anybody interested in using signing, but don't bother with signing until 18 months or so, despite claims that babies can learn signing, it isn't true, but once they get to language aquisition stage, they can learn signs easier than spoken words. I would also recommend Let's Sign Early Years (BSL version) by Smith & Teasdale, for adults, it has lots more signs, plus more general explanation of signing.
on 19 July 2017
This second hand book arrived quickly and in very good condition indeed. It is a very colourful and engaging book and it explains the signs very well. Would recommend for a teaching assistant working with children with special needs as a good starting point for learning further British Sign Language or Makaton.
on 15 January 2018
Love this book.
It's far bigger and nicer than I expected. I'm a mummy of a baby with a 10 month old with development delays and was advised by her team to think about signing. I'm also a childminder and my mindees love it too. Cute pictures, easy to follow and engaging. I would defo recommend it and it would make a lovely gift.
on 5 November 2015
Teaching our daughter how to sign has really aided her motor and fine motor development. It was absolutely the right choice to teach her as at 10 months she is an excellent communicator and able to tell us what she wants when she is upset.

This book is great for helping us understand the basis of BSL and had prompted us to learn more. We highly recommend this book and really see the benefits from it.
on 24 August 2016
great. simple to use and the kids love reading it too and learning to sign with the baby. there aren't many words but enough to get you started and probably enough for us to communicate with my baby until he can talk. i'm yet to see him do any of the signs (he's 8 months) but i hope if we all continue then he will sign when he wants to tell us something but doesn't have the vocab yet to tell us verbally.
on 4 August 2017
Update November 2017 - now my Daughter is 15 months, she loves this book and enjoys learning the signs. She can already do around 8 of them and chooses this book over others most days!

Not a bad book but awkward size and too much going on, on each page. Illustrations nice though and can teach yourself and baby some key signs.
on 7 March 2015
I have bought lots of these. They really do help your baby to start communicating much earlier than expected. They also work well for autistic children or any child with developmental delays. The pictures are very appealing to young children and have a simple explanation of the gestures used to sign them.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2013
I got this for my second child who is 1. I went to sign language class with my first and she loved it however we have moved and there isnt a baby sign class where we live and so I thought the books would help. I like to sign with the children as it helps with understanding their needs when they are little and can't fully communicate with words. This book is a huge help it has the basics a baby needs like milk, hug, teddy, nappy, toilet, eat, hungry, sick and the best one I love You. My one year old is getting there and like her older sister seems to like doing the animal signs the best.