Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2009
I am in my late 30s and read Twilight because I had heard good things and the hype of the movie was good. I enjoyed it immensely and was drawn in by the love story and taken back to my high school days. I became a bit pathetic and moped around for a few days when I had finished the book...simply because I wanted to read more.

Wanting more and itching to read New Moon, I logged on to Amazon and read the reviews and became a little worried as so many people gave it mediocre to poor reviews. However, I decided just to buy it and read it and I am so glad I did.

I found that it is a much better written book than Twilight. It seemed like Stephenie Meyer actually THOUGHT about what she was writing this time, and didn't just throw stuff on the pages randomly.

The compaint other reviews had was the lack of Edward in the story. However, I did not find this a drawback in the least, it was necessary to keep the emotions running as strongly as they do in this book, and I found the storyline excellent. Please do not be put off by the negative reviews - this book is well worth the read.
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2008
I was very excited to see that there was a sequel to Meyer's debut. Twilight did have its faults, but it was light and the romance was refreshingly well written.

And let's face it, I fell in love with Edward just like the rest of us. He's beautiful and frightening at the same time and those of you who have a problem with Bella's continued amazement of his physical appearance: aren't we all shallow enough that we'd like our significant other to look that way? What's wrong with a little fantasy?

With New Moon, the light tone and Bella's sarcastic narrative changed into something dark and hollow. Bella's situation takes a sudden and drastic plunge for the worse: An incident at the Cullen house leaves Edward so shaken he decides to follow through on his promise to "do what's best for her." In this case it means he and his family leave Forks and with that: Bella.

Bella goes to pieces, turning into a shadow of her former self. Edwards absence literally leaves a hole in her chest --and in the book. It's like he was never there; he removed all evidence of his excistence from her, in a vain ettempt to force her to get on with her human life. It's the sadness, more than anything else that drains the book.

This is a story about people so in love with eachtother, their separation nearly destroys them both. New Moon is the 500 paged gap in their chest.

Then Jacob enters the plot. Their friendship takes the front seat --obviously an attempt by Meyer to fill the void Edward's departure caused. Thanks to his company, Bella slowly but surely becomes "alive" again. But ofcourse, her newfound best friend turns out not to be so human after all...

If you've read Helly Armstrong's "Bitten" you'll pick up the clues about what's going on with Jacob soon enough --and you'll become impatient because Bella doesn't catch on as quick. Meyer tried to create a effect similar to Twilight: now Jacob becomes the mysterious boy who isn't quite what he seems beneath the surface.

It's predictable, but I would be able to live with it he held the same amount of attraction Edward did. Instead, I'm having deja vu's all the time: (the "it's not safe for me to be near you" spiel starts all over again.) Jacob had potential, but it would've worked better if Meyer would've made him a completely different character. She did-- in the beginning. After "the change" it's Edward all over again, minus the velvet voice, the angeletic face and the smoldering eyes. He just doesn't have that -well what should I call it- pull. To add to the "fun:" he hates vampires. What a surprise.

Just when some some supporting characters are fleshed out, Edward is back in the story. I missed him so much I didn't even care it felt forced. But it wasn't the same.

Bottomline, New Moon isn't a bad sequel, but it doesn't have that freshness Twilight had. Bella's bordering on insanity and so insecure about herself I'd like to smack her head and tell her to grow up. Still, unlike some readers, I don't think she lost all her appeal as a main character. There's hope left. Hope that Eclipse will close the void New Moon created but could not close.
44 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It is official -- Stephanie Meyer is the oldest emo teenage girl on the face of this planet.

How else could she have written a book like "New Moon," the second sparkle-vampire romance in her bestselling Twilight series? Unfortunately this is no deep and intense romance -- it's basically a big oozing lump of teenage melodrama and horrendously purple prose. And the resolutely obnoxious heroine Bella Swan doesn't help with her endless moaning.

Bella's whether-you-like-it-or-not birthday party is wrecked when she cuts herself and prompts Jasper into a feeding frenzy, and the Cullens realize that she's just too tasty to be safe. So they leave town permanently. Cue emo music, for Bella's life is empty and worthless without Edward.

No, seriously -- it's empty. We have blank pages with month names on them, presumably to show that life is utterly empty and pointless when Eddie boy is absent -- "that I wasn't the heroine anymore, that my story was over."

But when she deliberately tries to put herself in danger, she hears Edward commanding her to stop. So she buys a motorcycle and starts immersing herself in extreme sports, hoping to hear him over and over again -- and she also gets to know local hunk Jacob Black, who has a supernatural secret of his own. But her near-suicidal antics have disastrous results for Edward, who believes her to be dead... and takes drastic action.

For the record, being seventeen-plus and/or breaking up with your True Luv are a fate worse than death. Teen Romance = True Luv. Catatonia and suicide are valid responses to being dumped. And life is an endless vile morass of nihilistic doom without a Sparkling Undead Coverboy to validate your existance and keep life from being ordinary.

At least, that is what "New Moon" would have you believe, since Stephanie Meyer smothers it in enough teenage melodrama and endless whiny angst to choke a blue whale. Thankfully her purple prose has been toned down -- presumably due to the absence of the "godlike" Edward -- but unfortunately page upon page of whining and suicidal despair is not a good substitute.

The entire story is pretty much devoted to the ever-passive Bella moping and whining as the sound of the world's smallest violin plays. Meyer attaches hilariously melodramatic significance to such scenes as Bella trying to get raped and murdered by a random bunch of guys, or having a recurring emo nightmare about being -- oh gasp of horror -- alone. You'd think being single was a death sentence.

Belatedly, Meyer realizes that post-breakup angst is not enough to carry even this thin plot. So she quickly spins up a bunch of Bad Evil Restrictive Vampires (with a not-so-subtle anti-Catholic bent), and Edward attempting suicide by the most hilarious method possible -- public sparkling. Such scenes almost mock themselves.

And Bella's endless woe-is-me-for-I-am-a-plain-mortal angst doesn't make her more vulnerable and likable -- it just eats up pages. And while Meyer tries desperately to show Bella's obsession as being True and Eternal Love, it never seems like more than a teenage girl's overwrought crush. And in a feeble attempt at a love triangle, Meyer makes Bella flirt callously with Jacob Black -- a sweet, nice, friendly guy who deserves way better.

"New Moon" is a prolonged, near-plotless slog of teenage melodrama, and it's nothing short of amazing that a grown woman could write such a book. Only for those who enjoy a fine whine.
1111 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2008
I read Twilight and this book in a matter of three days because I found myself being drawn into the world of Bella, feeling the emotions she goes through and the desires she has for her lover Edward and her best friend Jacob. Although i love this book i can't help feeling that Stephenie Meyer allowed the reader to be caught up in the emotions and love that Jacob feels towards Bella and probably ruined the bonds that the reader developes for Edward. His absense during the book left an empty space in Bellas life and it also leaves an empty space in the book. Probably too much of an empty space. The passion becomes lost and although Bella comes round to thinking that maybe she should accept Jacobs feelings towards her and forget about Edward, it just doesn't pack the same punch as Twilight. Then all of a sudden Edward is thrust straight back into the lime light!! I can't help but feel sad for poor Jacob, he loves Bella and she dumps him when Edward returns. I found myself crying along with Bella. When she describes the feeling of her chest being ripped apart with the loss of Edward, as a woman i could relate to her feeling of utter loss. Stephenie Meyer really knows how to pack the emotional punches into a story aswell as the action sequences. I love this book as a whole and can't wait for the next one to be delivered. I'm ordering it straight away from Amazon!!
99 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2009
500 pages of Bella being emo.

500 pages of her moping.

Blank pages to show what a dark empty abyss her life is without sparkles.

500 pages of angst.

500 pages of wanting nothing more then to pull out a gun then shoot this book several times.

The only reason I recommend getting this is for adding to a nice fire.

Somebody, put an end to this madness.
on 28 November 2009
As a 15-year-old, and with it being so popular with my classmates, I was convinced I would like this book. I wasn't particularly impressed with Twilight but I made the naive assumption that the plot had to thicken, and that the storyline must improve at some point. I was obviously mistaken.

I put New Moon down around 2/3 in because I was so disgusted by just how...rubbish it is. I found that the book didn't grip me, because I really didn't care about the characters. They are all very shallow and one-dimensional.

Bella Swan is utterly bland without any personality whatsoever. The only emotions she seems to feel are angst and moodiness. She is apparently "unconditionally and irrevocably" in love with Edward, yet whenever she's with him she behaves sullenly and childishly. If I was her age and had already found someone who I loved that much, and who I believed to love me back, I would be ecstatic. Or at least I might smile a little. And not whinge and angst about that fact that the boy I love's family has spent a good deal of time planning a birthday party for me. This is NOT normal teenage behaviour. I was embarrassed that my age group was being represented in this way. In fact, I couldn't relate to her at all. I have never met anyone in or out of school of that age who behaves anything like her. This is part of the reason I didn't like the book; relating to the protagonist of a story is very important for me.

I won't blather on too much, though I do have an abundance of reasons not to read this book. I shall just point out one of my pet peeves about the book, in terms of Smeyer's writing style. Apart from her apparent abusive love affair with hyphens, and paragraphs littered with purple prose (Edward is "excruciatingly lovely", "like a marble tribute to some forgotten pagan god of beauty", with "liquid topaz eyes". Alright Smeyer, Edward's sexy, WE GET IT NOW) my main problem with this novel is the overuse of adverbs. They litter the page, and good trees are being killed to print these extra pagefuls as consequence. Unfortunately I cannot quote any at the moment as I have returned the book, but seriously, make a tally per page. It's quite amusing in a way.

Please, don't put yourself through the trauma of reading this book. Just don't.
on 25 July 2015
I excitedly started New Moon immediately after finishing the first Twilight book and for the first few chapters it was more of the same that I loved in the first book. I was sucked in! With the disappearance of Edward, the story slowed for me and I found that even I as the reader missed Edward! I read furiously to get to the parts where she heard his voice and all throughout I hoped he'd appear... told you I was sucked in! The book picked up for me again when Bella started spending time with Jake and even though it was cruel to him and selfish of Bella, I enjoyed their developing relationship. It's clever how I felt what Bella felt; that Jacob was this really great character but he would never live up to Edward and I could never quite get past the want for Edward to return and for Bella and him to pick up where they left off. So I was a little disappointed that when they did finally find their way back to each other, they seemed to lack the desperate passion they held for each other in the first book. Bella's ignorance to what was really going on with Edward and the way he felt was so frustrating... I wanted to shake her, or slap her! The book was good but lacked the passion of the first for me. I read as fast as I could waiting to get the Edward and Bella from the first book but it didn't quite get there for me. I hope that Edward and Bella don't continue down this path of self pity and that they get back to what they were in Twilight. Starting Eclipse now...!
on 12 May 2009
This is bad.

Most teenagers are guilty of being caught up in one stupid fad or another, but the increasingly disturbing Twilight series is more than stupid; it's frightening.

I knew the plot (what little there is) of this LOOOONG book before I read it, but even I read on with mounting horror (and increasing boredom).
Stephenie Meyer studied literature at university. We get it. But there is no need whatsoever to bring in literary comparisons and try to turn your characters into representations of Shakespeare's. Apart from anything else, she fails miserably at it.
Bella, Edward and Jacob are not Juliet, Romeo and Paris, but Meyer tries desperately to make them so. However, where Romeo and Juliet is a play about how hatred and outside forces can destroy something pure, New Moon is just an embarrassing display of teen melodrama.
Bella was always a whiny, insipid little wench; always needing a man to literally prop her up. In New Moon she takes this to a frightening new level. Bella simply cannot go anywhere without either being carried or being supported by a man. Hell, even in the car there's always a guy with his arm around her while he's driving (and how's that for road safety?!). She actually clings to whatever man is near her, and when there's no man she's sitting on the lap of, and clinging to, Alice, her female friend.
We are supposed to see Bella as Juliet. She's not. Bella's misery is embarrassing.
She goes walking at night in dangerous places, trying to attract men who previously tried to rape her. She rides - and repeatedly crashes - a motorcycle she does not know how to operate. She jumps off a cliff.
All so she can hallucinate her ex-boyfriend's voice.
She wakes up screaming - EVERY NIGHT. She does things that put her in the hospital every week.
Why? Because her boyfriend left her six months earlier.
This is not a broken heart; this is the world's most stupid girl being as melodramatic as it is possible to be. And anybody who's hallucinating a boyfriend should be medicated.

Stephenie Meyer is not a good writer, or even a trained writer, and she brags about it. If only she could get her ego under control and try and learn something about how to create a good book, then we might be getting somewhere. The thesaurus abuse does not come off as smart, just out of place and irritating. There is NEVER a good reason to use lots of fancy words just because you can.
And by halfway through I was actually laughing at loud at the overuse of the same few phrases. "His eyes tightened." (How in the world do eyes `tighten'?!) "His russet skin." "The hole in my chest." "My safe harbour."
Over and over again.
Meyer describes everything down to the smallest and most painful detail. We know exactly what Bella cooked for her father at every meal, and we know about every test and assignment she had to do for school. She frequently breaks off in the middle of a conversation for a four page ramble about her feelings, but then when the action actually comes along it is covered in just one or two paragraphs.
Meyer herself has admitted that when she started out writing she had no idea how long a manuscript should be. She found out when her first book was published and was bigger than a phone book. But then instead of giving future manuscripts a good and much-needed edit, she continued to ramble on and on. By the time anything actually happens in New Moon most - good - books would already have been finished.

And why are Stephenie Meyer's female (ONLY female) characters always cooking?!

The stereotyping just goes on and on; all of it inspired by Meyer's own biases. If you're a blonde woman, you MUST be evil. If you're a woman of any sort, cooking for any man near you is the ultimate life achievement (plus Bella seems to be cleaning the bathroom every second chapter). If you're anything less than a superhero, you're a waste of time. If you're male, you must be in love with Meyer's self-insert - otherwise known as Bella. I suppose it is quite amusing that Meyer wrote herself in as the starring character, seeing as said character is the nastiest and worst role model I have ever come across.
Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon, and it helps to keep that in mind when trying to come to terms with the frightening religious and antifeminist themes throughout the book.

Avoid at all costs.
66 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2012
There is something weird about these books. Overall I felt exactly the same about the second book as I did the first, except in every case my feelings were stronger.

New Moon picks up shortly after the events of Twilight. Bella and Edward are madly in love, the type of love that is so sickly and dare I say it "teenage girly" that has turned so many people off the series and prevented many from even picking it up to begin with.

However, the dynamic soon changes. An incident highlights just how fragile and impractical their relationship is forcing Edward to withdraw his love and move away. From Bella's silly opinion, this is because he doesn't love her anymore. Why she thinks this is beyond me. Edward is mean but it is obvious why he is doing it. What follows (I read this on the Kindle so forgive the percentages) is from 5% to 30% utter mind numbing drivel. Bella is distraught, she wallows in self pity and pines like someone has never pined before.

This section of the story was way too long. I was wanting to stick pins in my eyes and came so close to giving up on the book. I thought I had finally realised why so many people ridicule the series.

Thankfully I persisted a little bit longer. Enter Jacob. By far and away, Jacob is the most interesting character in the story. Bella's attraction to him is believable, their growing relationship (after the initial ooh I think I love him now), is actually well handled. Jacob comes with a good back story and an air of mystery to him. Unlike the Bella / Edward relationship which is too impossible to imagine (both are madly in love with each other, the type of love that when they don't see each other they ache).

Following Jacob's appearance, the story also begins to get some semblance of a decent plot. My main criticism of the first book is that nothing happened. Although this story suffers from the same fate, there are story threads going on.

The story here surrounds random attacks on innocent hikers. There is also the angst going on around Jacob and his friends and the return of some vampires that appeared in Twilight.

The ending of the book is actually quite good. Why it comes about on the other hand irked me. Some minor spoilers follow: Bella in an effort to overcome Edward, resorts to taking part in dangerous activities. The logic being, she hears Edward's voice in her head warning her to be careful when she does these and can therefore imagine him again. I made a logical assumption here that Bella was actually hearing Edward and not imagining him. This proved to be incorrect as later in the book Edward acts upon something he hears Bella has done which proved my assumption wrong (sorry for the confusion, trying not to give too much away). However, later Bella can hear Edward in her thoughts again, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Another strong element to the book is the natural and growing hatred between werewolves and vampires. When Edward and Jacob finally come face to face, the animosity is evident. Obviously anyone with a y chromosome will root for Jacob (I can't believe I just weighed in on that argument).

Overall then, I had mixed feelings about the book. After the appalling start, the story kicked in and dare I say it was quite enjoyable. The ending was satisfactory and there is enough left over to keep me interested in the next book. My rating: 8.0
on 10 July 2009
I've literally just finished this book having been lent the series by a friend. Before I launch into what will probably be a pretty unpopular opinion I feel I should qualify both sides of my opinion as there ARE positives to be found in most things. My teenage years are but a memory and although i'm aware that it ages me, I am of the opinion that anything which gets kids reading is a truly good thing! Should the "Twilight" series incite your interest than maybe in time your burgeoning library will include, if not the classics, at least other supernaturally based works of greater literary merit such as books by Tom Holland, Poppy Z Brite or Nancy Collins.
That said, as a worker in the public domain Ms. Meyer has a certain duty to her acolytes (I use this term purposefully. The religious fervour with which her books are followed coupled with her well documented Beliefs made it seem very apt) and she's simply setting a very bad example for young people (women in particular) today.
It wasn't so many years ago that women were dying, sacrificing their lives in order for their descendants to live without the restrictions placed upon them by a society stuck in the dark ages. However in Ms Meyers world, life becomes unliveable without a partner by your side. Should your first choice of partner become unavailable then just latch onto whoever else seems particularly interested because, as we all know girls, SOMEONE'S got to be better than noone!! It shouldn't bother you too greatly if at some point you have to break the latters heart because true love is an excuse for some truly loathesome behaviour.
Also, if you need to take your mind off things then it's always best to do some housework rather than something which could be viewed as empowering. Are we to assume that Charlie lived in a pig sty before Bella came to Forks? Ms Meyers' blanket view of the roles of the sexes is insulting in the extreme to men AND women. Why is it that we're given long descriptions of Bella's mealtime creations but when men are left to fend for themselves they eat take-out pizza or bowls of cereal?
I also found our heroine's (albeit brief) assumption that all men are potential rapists to be insulting and whilst young women should always be vigilant when out alone the insinuation that, should you wish to get your adrenaline flowing a good way of doing it is to approach a group who you have reason to believe have violent tendencies is an astonishingly irresponsible point of view to offer when you take into account that the author knows her readership are chiefly of impressionable age.
There are of course various other points of a less serious nature to be made such as the fact that her dearest female friend Alice actually threatens Bella when faced with the possibilty that she may not get her own way when it comes to a party which she was specifically asked NOT to throw. Not a characteristic i'd look for within my closest circle. Also the fact that Edward Cullen seems as two dimensional and tedious a character as could possibly be imagined! Remember girls, he may have NO sense of humour, a thinly controlled propensity for violence toward you and the ability to lie to you so convincingly you effectively live in a fugue state for several months but he looks REALLY cute so can be forgiven any number of indiscretions.
This is simply a dangerous and dull witted offering to lend youngsters who may seek to emulate certain aspects of their literary heroes. Ms Meyers' books are a massive success. With great power comes great reponsibility and criticisms such as mine should have been taken into account during the first bout of editing and if not completely remedied than at least mellowed out. The possibility that certain points have already been watered down from the first draft is one i'd rather not dwell on.
The passive aggressive nods to the inherent RIGHTNESS of her religious choice as compared to other alternatives are also truly of great concern to me!
As a stepping stone onto better literary things I praise not only Ms. Meyers but also her readership. I genuinely hope you treat this series as a prelude to greater things and have the clearheadedness to work hard at being yourself rather than mistakenly basing yourself on one of these hugely flawed characters.