New Moon (Twilight Saga)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 July 2015
I excitedly started New Moon immediately after finishing the first Twilight book and for the first few chapters it was more of the same that I loved in the first book. I was sucked in! With the disappearance of Edward, the story slowed for me and I found that even I as the reader missed Edward! I read furiously to get to the parts where she heard his voice and all throughout I hoped he'd appear... told you I was sucked in! The book picked up for me again when Bella started spending time with Jake and even though it was cruel to him and selfish of Bella, I enjoyed their developing relationship. It's clever how I felt what Bella felt; that Jacob was this really great character but he would never live up to Edward and I could never quite get past the want for Edward to return and for Bella and him to pick up where they left off. So I was a little disappointed that when they did finally find their way back to each other, they seemed to lack the desperate passion they held for each other in the first book. Bella's ignorance to what was really going on with Edward and the way he felt was so frustrating... I wanted to shake her, or slap her! The book was good but lacked the passion of the first for me. I read as fast as I could waiting to get the Edward and Bella from the first book but it didn't quite get there for me. I hope that Edward and Bella don't continue down this path of self pity and that they get back to what they were in Twilight. Starting Eclipse now...!
on 7 January 2016
Really enjoyed this book as an add-on to the Twilight Saga. My main gripes are that there are no chapter breaks or even pauses, so finding a natural place to stop was actually really difficult. Also grown a bit tired of Stephenie Meyer's habit of every heavily featured vampire finding a mate, and of them all being heterosexual. Not that I needed to see a homosexual love story, but one couple somewhere in the story or at the very least seeing the story of a featured vampire just being a vampire without a mate would have broken the repetitiveness a little. Made it feel like that is their sole purpose, and by this novella that was played out. Nonetheless a nice little story that I think could actually make a good film. Gives more of an insight into the world of the 'normal' vampires and particularly newborns, as well as padding out 'the bits you didn't see' in Twilight Eclipse.
on 3 February 2012
There is something weird about these books. Overall I felt exactly the same about the second book as I did the first, except in every case my feelings were stronger.

New Moon picks up shortly after the events of Twilight. Bella and Edward are madly in love, the type of love that is so sickly and dare I say it "teenage girly" that has turned so many people off the series and prevented many from even picking it up to begin with.

However, the dynamic soon changes. An incident highlights just how fragile and impractical their relationship is forcing Edward to withdraw his love and move away. From Bella's silly opinion, this is because he doesn't love her anymore. Why she thinks this is beyond me. Edward is mean but it is obvious why he is doing it. What follows (I read this on the Kindle so forgive the percentages) is from 5% to 30% utter mind numbing drivel. Bella is distraught, she wallows in self pity and pines like someone has never pined before.

This section of the story was way too long. I was wanting to stick pins in my eyes and came so close to giving up on the book. I thought I had finally realised why so many people ridicule the series.

Thankfully I persisted a little bit longer. Enter Jacob. By far and away, Jacob is the most interesting character in the story. Bella's attraction to him is believable, their growing relationship (after the initial ooh I think I love him now), is actually well handled. Jacob comes with a good back story and an air of mystery to him. Unlike the Bella / Edward relationship which is too impossible to imagine (both are madly in love with each other, the type of love that when they don't see each other they ache).

Following Jacob's appearance, the story also begins to get some semblance of a decent plot. My main criticism of the first book is that nothing happened. Although this story suffers from the same fate, there are story threads going on.

The story here surrounds random attacks on innocent hikers. There is also the angst going on around Jacob and his friends and the return of some vampires that appeared in Twilight.

The ending of the book is actually quite good. Why it comes about on the other hand irked me. Some minor spoilers follow: Bella in an effort to overcome Edward, resorts to taking part in dangerous activities. The logic being, she hears Edward's voice in her head warning her to be careful when she does these and can therefore imagine him again. I made a logical assumption here that Bella was actually hearing Edward and not imagining him. This proved to be incorrect as later in the book Edward acts upon something he hears Bella has done which proved my assumption wrong (sorry for the confusion, trying not to give too much away). However, later Bella can hear Edward in her thoughts again, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Another strong element to the book is the natural and growing hatred between werewolves and vampires. When Edward and Jacob finally come face to face, the animosity is evident. Obviously anyone with a y chromosome will root for Jacob (I can't believe I just weighed in on that argument).

Overall then, I had mixed feelings about the book. After the appalling start, the story kicked in and dare I say it was quite enjoyable. The ending was satisfactory and there is enough left over to keep me interested in the next book. My rating: 8.0
on 19 April 2015
I must confess to being a little reluctant to read this series, it was just everywhere and was initially put off by the film trailers. After a lot of badgering from friends, i decided to try out the books rather than the films as i had been told they were much better.

I did actually really enjoy this series of books and felt a little sad when they finished! The characters are a lot easier to love in the books than the films and there is huge amount more depth to both them and the story itself. I would very much recommend these books, even if you have been put off by the hype of the films.

I ended up watching the films after reading this series and really didn't enjoy them as much.
on 27 August 2012
***Many Spoilers!***

Well, where to begin?
First off, I missed Edward! He left by Chapter 4 (Page 69. After Jasper tries to attack Bella when she gets a paper cut at a big birthday party Alice threw for her, Edward decides he's not safe to be around, saying that it wasn't right for them to be together and that he's sorry for letting it go on so long. He says that he doesn't want her to go with his family (who he says leave because their ages (remember, frozen in time and all that) have outgrown their ages.). She does a bit of stumbling around the forest where he left her before Sum Uley picks her up and carries her home.
Here follows pages and pages of mild boredom. Not total boredom, but it's still bad that 282 pages aren't really worth talking about. Basically for months Bella is just a zombie. She goes to school, eats, does her homework, but she doesn't really live. Then she finds out that when she does something dangerous, she hears Edward's (always silky) voice telling her to stop, so guess what, she goes out and gets some motorbikes. She gets Jacob to try and fix them for her and she finds spending time with him heals 'the hole punched in her chest'. Then he briefly stops all contact with her and tells her that they shouldn't be friends, that he's dangerous and if she was smart she'd stay away.

De ja vu?!

She finds out his secret (that he's a werewolf) and he can confide in her that his pack have been hunting vampire 'Victoria'. Bella tells them that she is trying to get into the village to get to Bella, since Edward killed her mate James. She then has another Adrenaline rush / Edward hallucination doing some cliff diving. Then she almost drowns.

9 sentences to describe 282 pages...

It only picks up by Chapter 17 (page 351). When Alice comes because she had a vision of Bella drowning herself. WRONG. But sadly and tragically she has already told Rosalie who we find out later went to great lengths to TRACK EDWARD DOWN AND TELL HIM BELLA WAS DEAD, EVEN THOUGH SHE KNEW THAT HE WOULD KILL HIMSELF. Why??? So she and Bella set off to Italy to tell Edward that Bella is alive. Do they make it??? I'm going to spoil it so look away.

There are another two books so naturally she reaches him with seconds to spare. Then there is a quite exiting part where the Volturi decide wether they should live or die. Guess what???

Back home Bella has a hard time convincing herself that it was real and that Ed was staying now.

That's it!!

Overall I'd say a disappointing Twilight book with some exciting parts but when it wasn't an action scene it got very boring. Some would say that it is a very hard subject to write about, but she didn't have to write about it! What love story has the romance break up and leave each other? At the end of the book we are back where we started. Bella forgives him. Completely. WHY?? I don't understand Meyer's perspective on this one...
on 29 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight Saga so I read this with high hopes. I didn't expect it to be as gripping as I found the other books but I certainly did expect it to fall into the saga. Although it's based around a character who appears in the saga I didn't really feel as if it had anything to do with it at all.

Meyer has been criticized a lot for her lack of writing skills and this has never been an issue for me until now. I couldn't relate to the characters, I didn't find them likeable and by the end of the story I didn't feel as though I knew any more about them than the beginning. However, I think if it had been longer these things would change, with more detail to character I could have been gripped by this.

It's an easy read, I read it in one sitting and if your a Twilight fan then it's definitely worth reading but I did find it disappointing.
on 12 March 2016
Everybody has heard of the Twilight Saga. These books were written a while before the films were released. Anyone who enjoys reading into like the films would like these books and any fan of the Twilight films themselves might enjoy reading a more in-depth look into the lives of Bella Edward and friends. I bought all four books around the same time and have enjoyed reading them. The films are not totally faithful to the books however they're not bad although I do prefer the films.
on 12 November 2013
i have to say it took me a long time to even consider reading OR watching any of the books or films.....so I watched the first film and thought that's not bad... and so I will read the book = I loved the book.....Anyway New Moon I decided not to watch the film and instead read the book first, and again I loved every minute and couldn't put it down it took me a day to read it... the emotion put into the book was amazing you really felt the loss the love the healing and the friendship that grows between the characters... its a must read and I will certainly be reading it again soon...on a different note I watched the film and really wished I hadn't bothered as it took everything away from the book apart from the basic story line...cant wait to read eclipse...(hope its a dam sight better that the film!!!!!!)
VINE VOICEon 29 April 2010
Well, I must eat my words...

I have just finished reading this book, and I have to say; it's much better than the movie - so far that is. I say 'so far', since I had already attempted to watch it (see my scathing Review for that title) and failed due to its 'tedium'. However; thanks to the Reviewer 'junie' (great minds think alike!) having mentioned that I'd already ordered the book and then thought it a total waste of money, she advised that the book - though nothing special was at least 'better' than the Picture, and so I thought I'd trust her opinion, and give it a go. To my astonishment (and utter embarrassment in contrast to the harsh Review I did for the movie) I found it very readable indeed! Okay; so it's still no 'Block Buster' in my opinion, but the sheer fact I could quite happily make it through to the end at least says I got my moneys worth if nothing else!

To be fair though, I did get more than that, in that I did enjoy it. It was slow (as many have been saying) but still refreshing like the first novel, in that There's no unnecessary bad language or explicit sex scenes which almost always seems to haunt modern writing these days and spoil it.

Ironically, (for me that is) this is the VERY first 'sequel' I have read right through to the end! I'm shocked, amazed and quite frankly to use a modern term I hate 'gobsmacked' that it should be so, as I've recently put down a 'sequel' written by someone I admired for their fabulous first book 'Scar Night' - Alan Campbell's 'Iron Angel' (see my Review for those titles) and although it was a more enjoyable read, I could not make it 'quite' to the end, and so the very fact I completed this one... Well... I don't understand it, but as a result, I do now intend to have another go at the movie. I'm not expecting any major retractions from my original Review of it, but hey; who knows!! : - )
VINE VOICEon 29 April 2010
Well, I must eat my words...