on 6 June 2004
I stumbled across the title of this book while searching for something else on Amazon and decided to order it from my local bookshop. Well all I can say is ... WOW !! I ADORE this book. I love the writing style, the characters and the wonderful feeling it left me with when I finished reading [in ONE day I might add!] It was so great, that when I had read it, I turned to the beginning and read it again. This is unheard of for me. The story pulls you into Weetzie's world and you just want to be her and have the wonderful kinds of relationships she has. There are sad moments too but I just loved it, loved it, loved it. I'm desperate now to read any of FLB's other books but they are proving extremely difficult to find here in the UK ... Oh well, Amazon here I come. :o)
on 14 April 2004
This is definately one of my favourite books - it is beautiful, powerful, strange, real, unnerving, thoughtful, and absolutely wonderfully writen. I like it so much I have a hard time saying why, all I know is I could read it forever and never be bored with the characters, the lanscape, the ideas and the strengths.
One reviewer said they didn't think it was suitable for younger readers; and yes, it does deal with fairly adult themes, but in a soft, kind way, breaking ideas gentley; and while, threesomes are had, and charachters run away to covens of creepy voodoo witches, the charachters are always good, they act only out of love, and if I wanted to learn about soem of the "unsuitable" tiongs in life, i would want to do it through this book.
Block says she has always asosciated writing with love, and this slim volume more than proves this. Her charachters react, and act, always out of love, they are kind, but real. Block doeasn't hide any of their moments or their bad times from us, and this is what makes this book a stroke of genious.
on 27 August 1998
I first read Weetzie Bat in 9th grade....and I was almost shocked by how good it was. I know the book's not especially realistic, but it was one of the first I'd ever read that dared to be honest enough to say that sex can be both an enjoyable, natural thing, as well as an incredibly scary, dangerous thing...that someone who's gay could be a kind, funny, foolish normal person...things I'd always sort of suspected, but that no one had ever told me. Besides, even if all that stuff still bothers you, Francesca Lia Block's style is just to incredible to pass up....I don't know how to describe it, but her prose is just so rich and original, you can almost taste it...
on 31 January 1998
This is not a book, it is a beautiful stanza of a magical poem that has texture, sound, flavor and scent. It's powerful stuff - I can only read this book (and the rest of the wonderfully potent series) once a year or so... It is a literary buzz without any hangover. Buy it, read it, and loan it out!
on 31 July 2002
this book is lovely. you will smile, cry and laugh out loud when you read it. it focuses on the lives of weetzie bat, her friends dirk and duck, her dog and her love my secret agent lover man and the adventures they have together. a must-read.
on 7 February 1999
lanky lizards this was such a slinkster cool book. I have read it so many times the cover is falling off. i think it is good for kids my age to have their eyes opened to other places besides their safe, snug, and secure home. this is something that you have to read and have a very active imagination to understand and enjoy the book completely. lik i said it is a must read.
on 11 October 1998
This book defines how I have always felt about Los Angeles. Although brief the book is charming and its simplistic characters bring light to the city. In 88 pages Block's nostalgic imagery shows Los Angeles as a city of dreams as opposed to simply the mecca of the movies. A great read!
on 17 April 1998
This is a marvelous, surreal story written in quasi-poetic style, but with a definite fairy-tale flavor. It's a quick but enthralling read, and it leaves you feeling giddy and free. The sequels are equally terrific, andi recommend them all. just read this book...
on 16 February 2014
delivery was great, good condition, handy book to stick in your purse for a bus/train journey. sounds liek a great story i hope i gte around to reading it soon.
on 15 April 2016
Not my kind of thing. No reflection on the book just not for me.