on 18 April 2002
The Marriage Book is full of very practical advice and useful tools to help build a strong and healthy relationship.
In the book Nicky and Sila Lee take a look at all the key areas of marriage such as communication, resolving conflict, forgiveness, parents and in-laws, good sex and understanding your differences. Their style is immensely readable and each subject is illustrated with great stories and wonderful cartoons. They also speak honestly from their own experiences from 25 years of marriage.
The book is based on Christian principles for marriage but I would highly recommend it to anyone whether they would call themselves Christian or not. The advice given is very practical.
I have bought this book for all my friends who have got engaged and I would recommend it to any married couple however long or short they have been together. A great read!
Few subjects (with the possible exception of sex) must have generated so many books and advice and they keep coming. Although I have to confess to reading little on marriage, of all the books I have read this is quite the best. Its provenance is the Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB) stable in London, home and pioneer of the Alpha Course: indeed Nicky Lee, who co-authors the book with his wife Sila, used to run Alpha at HTB.
The Lees have now been running The Marriage Course at HTB for the last four years and already many couples have found their marriages enriched by it. The Marriage Book is the book which underpins the course, a seven week programme during which couples are guided through key topics such as the art of communication, resolving conflict, the power of forgiveness and good sex. Neither the book nor the course is preachy and there is no attempt to evangelise: however, it would take a very distant couple not to realise the Christian underpinnings. For instance, the subject and practice of praying together is given important treatment.
A major theme is communication and time together. How much do married couples need to hear that, with all today's distractions and pressures. Nicky Gumbel concludes in his forward to the book: "While reading this book, you may feel that the Lees' marriage is 'too good to be true', but having observed it for over twenty-four years, let me assure you that it is entirely true and that it inspires us to aim for the very best." At a time when marriage is under such attack, this book is timely and deserves to be on many bookshelves and pillows!
on 19 July 2005
I was bought this book as an engagement present and it had proved to be an invaluable tool. Not only do I understand my partner and the way he expresses himself and communicates, but also I learned things which are helping me to prepare for the commitment of marriage.
This book is a good start to a healthy Christian Marriage!!
on 24 December 2009
If you are living together, just getting married or have been married for years then this book is for you. I am in my 50s and just about to get married, I was advised to read this book and this has proven to be the best advice I have been given in years. Please please please don't be ashamed of buying a book about marriage, this could change your lives for the better for the rest of your life. Highly recommend this book.
on 19 April 2002
In a changed society where twenty somethings are nervous about marriage, this is a refreshing book showing really practical ways in which everyone, young or old, can work at their marriage to make it a last a lifetime.
The book covers areas from 'the art of communication' to 'good sex', and gives couples practical tools to really enrich their marriage.
on 16 March 2009
Such a good read that I bought two more to give away. A sensible and very helpful series of chapters on all aspects of married life. Suitable for all age groups, from those preparing for marriage, those having a rocky time and also those who want to enrich the experience of married life. Down to earth aproach with lots of practical ideas. Encouraging even for those of us who have been married for several decades!
I bought this to read on my kindle before getting married myself. After reading the first few chapters, i then went and bought a hard copy to give to my wife to be.

It is a really great manual for how to improve your relationships and yourself as a person, let alone your marriage.

There is a lot of religious content to this, but I would recommend it to people of all or none faiths.

It is easy to read and understand, and the authors talk about their own experiences in addition to real life case studies.

I pretty much guarantee that you will get something from reading this book.
on 1 November 2011
Following my engagement, I decided to purchase this book solely based on the reviews on Amazon and I haven't regretted it at all!

Although I was apprehensive flicking through the first few pages, thinking it maybe impersonal or even patronising, it has actually proved to be the opposite! There are things that may appear obvious to any relationship within this book, however I believe this has been valuable insight into marriage life and will certainly come in handy throughout my forthcoming marriage and beyond. It talks about communication, resolving conflict, understanding differences and much much more!

Its not just interesting insight from the Authors relationship experiences, but others too and some very nice quotes from famous peoples marriages.

If anything, it reminds me how much I value my fiancée and for that alone it gets a 5* rating!
on 5 August 2015
A great book full of good, practical and sometimes entertaining advice for people who want to improve and sustain their marriage. Its a helpful complement to The Marriage Course which my wife and I have run several times for many couples from all sorts of backgrounds. If you can't find a course, read this book!
on 30 December 2009
An extremely insightful book, for both the married and the single alike. Although, it becomes apparent that the authors are Christians, this book is formated for a wider audience as it renders itself available to everyone. I would highly recommend this book, whether you are contemplating marriage, or already married. Happy reading. :0)