TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 November 2010
David Charters has done a good job of a short story (which grew a bit, to almost half a novel size) of the pre-bonus period in an investment bank in the City of London. The one track mind lead character is a fair caricature of the breed portrayed and is likely to have a reader both despise him, as well as root for him (at least at some points) - at least if you have worked in a similar environment at some point in time. Otherwise the rooting might be a bit harder to bring yourself to do.

The author certainly does a good job of providing an entertaining read here, the mindset description being particularly well done (I will not pass judgement on its realism). Again I can imagine that someone with little contact with the business will probably come away more horrified than entertained and that there will be at least the odd cry of 'and such people are running our financial sector'?

While Charters provides an entertaining read and an interesting description, I find the book lacking somewhat compared to a classic like Bombardiers by Po Bronson, which is simply on another level as regards energy, vibrancy, humour, etc. Not to say that this book is not to be read but you might find it somewhat flat if reading it after Bombardiers.

Finally, the book really is not quite a full novel at ca. 130 pages, with plenty of pictures to boot. It's a great fast read, in fact, unless you really have no time for reading, you should be able to finish it in one sitting.
on 3 November 2004
Charters' latest book is a fast-paced journey through 8 weeks in the life of an investment banker in the approach to the annual bonus round. Everything is in there: greed, superficiality, office politics, one-upmanship, scams and conspiracies, but always with heavy doses of "laugh out loud" humour. LIke some of his earlier stories, it verges on being very dark indeed at places, but is always defused with a comic moment or an ironic twist. As an insight into the world of investment banking it's entertaining - and probably all too realistic!
on 28 May 2012
David Charters has always been one of my favourite authors. I liked his No Tears so much that I decided to purchase all other books he has written. At Bonus Time No-one Can Hear You Scream is a recent purchase despite its publication date. It is easy to read and funny. I enjoy the sarcasm the most. Being an in-house lawyer, I couldn't help recommending this book to our CEO to let him know the tricks the bankers are playing. Apparently the same tricks have been played over and over again - from David's time to now. They are hardly changed!
on 21 January 2005
This excellent short novel- ideal for City-types with limited time for such non-remunerative activites as reading- has it all. Clearly written with the benefit of first-hand knowledge of the excesees of the only season that matters in the world of unctious City reptiles, it combines pace, venom and more than a few twists and turns with a top format- including excellent photography- which would not leave it out of place on a Notting Hill coffee table. Top marks.
on 12 October 2009
Anyone wondering why we're in the mess we are financially should just read David Charters' brilliant send-up of the City. With people like this in the financial markets, it's amazing we didn't get into even bigger trouble much sooner than we did. Well worth reading, especially because it gives you the impression it might just be closer to the truth than you think. What I like about the main character - who is utterly horrible, but very plausible - is that you see things through his eyes, and it all seems just that bit more credible.
on 27 September 2010
I absolutely loved this book and rushed out to buy the next three which didn't disappoint. The writing just flows and by the end you are almost rooting for the guy even though you really don't want to. I think I read all four within two weeks (and I have a five month old!). Definitely recommended.
My first book by David Charters was 'No Tears' It was brilliant. This one is brilliant, his books are sickeningly accurate, he has insight into the corporate mind that is beyond words; I only wish he would describe more types and their thought processes as he does in 'No Tears' but I could not put the book down.

There is one really bad thing about his writing, if you are a busy professional, reading this stuff, smirking every now and then and roaring with laughter a bit more often than you should; then read them on the weekend or on holiday because you will not be able to put the book down. Both of the books I have read, I did so in one sitting and the rest of his titles are being ordered soon.

David Charters's books are fiction that is more real than real life, distilled reality without the fugue states in between, decisively snorted off the page.
on 14 April 2013
excellent parody of all thats wrong in casino banking; but the sneer could be applied to so many other careers. read wryly and enjoy
on 24 February 2013
Very entertaining, funny, flowing - fantastic satire. It was so good I instantly downloaded the next in the series. Fab.
on 9 November 2013
As someone who works in the city I couldn't out this book down and it's one of my favourite books of all time. The main character Dave Hart is an anti-hero who is the lowest of the low but you end up rooting for him. This is due to the skill of the author. Humorous, realisitic and string characters. If you want to get an insight into the city or already work there then you will love this book.