Customer reviews

Allotment Gardening: An Organic Guide for Beginners
Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2006
This book is an allotment holder's dream -- a thoroughly researched, attractive, clear, well-written and commonsense guide to good and effective practice. Each page is packed with advice and suggestions, excellent tips and even recipes! Its indexing and cross-references are invaulable, as are its listing of organic seed merchants and of flowers which are both beautiful and promote vegetable growth. An essential handbook for years to come.
on 27 March 2009
Great book, better than some of the others I've read, gives month by month to do lists, lists different veggies with how to's and suggests companion plants where possibal, flowers, herbs and a trouble shooting section at the end. Has sections about planning out site, composting and general get your allotment ready stuff.
It has a few glossy's and a few recipes but besides that it is a easy read, easy to understand for beginners and a quick reference for the well seasoned veggie grower.
on 18 November 2016
A copy of this book was loaned to me but its so useful I bought my own copy. Really good for an allotment or veggie growing beginner with lots of useful advice, I'm going to keep my copy in my allotment shed so I can refer back to it quickly. Since I have taken over my allotment I've noted that this book is recommended on a lot of gardening forums by allotment owners...says it all.
on 17 September 2011
this book was just what we needed to update our a organic gardening skills. I have never grown on an allotment always back garden. we have had to move areas so now we have limited space to grow. "allotment was the answer" hence this book.
loads of info, i am sure you too will be pleased with it contents
on 2 March 2010
I bought this for my son in law as he has purchased a share in an allotment He has been hamperpered somewhat by the weather, but has been trying on Good days to clear the ground build paths etc - no planting as yet. He is finding the book very helpful and said he would recommend it to others
on 7 February 2009
Have used the book many times since taking on a part allotment and found it clear and helpful so far...the mud stains on the spine attest to its value "in the field"! Lovely photos as well...what I'm aspiring to!Allotment Gardening: An Organic Guide for Beginners
on 25 February 2006
Like the first reviewer, I was a bit disappointed with this book, but unlike them I have not found myself reading it again after the first time. It contained quite basic information, and didn't inspire me or tell me anything new I'm afraid. OK if you are a complete beginner, but I have reviewed other books on the same subject that I found more helpful/inspiring.
on 20 April 2013
I wanted to learn more about companion planting. This book has information about this product. I found it very useful and have put some of the suggestions in to practice on my allotment. A good source of information.
on 6 August 2013
Many books in this field are too glossy and too complicated to refer to whether you're on the allotment, or back home, and also whether you're a complete beginner or just need occasional advice and suiggestions.
on 24 December 2013
I found this book ideal for me as an amateur gardener.....well set out and easy to read and understand....I refer to it all the time....