on 14 May 2004
This is an excellent book. The pictures are beautiful, inspiring and achievable. There are lots of tips and techniques that can be used in any situation as well as in floral paintings. I have learned a lot.
on 11 June 2006
This is a gorgeous book well illustrated book with Janet Whittle's beautiful watercolour paintings of flowers and plants and step by step instructions for achieving some of them yourself. Her tips and techniques are presented in a straightforward and simple manner making it easy to understand and use by anyone. This book is a must have for any aspiring painter of flowers and plants.
on 18 March 2017
Lovely pictures of flowers with very good painting techniques tips.
on 2 December 2015
Very helpful book.
on 6 November 2009
My book arrived in perfect condition and within three days. I have recommended both this book and Amazon to friends at my painting classes. The book is really brilliant and different way to paint flowers in watercolour. I have already tried three of the paintings in the book and will try more. It is a lovely book with great pictures and step by step guide which is easy to follow. I will buy more Janet Whittle books.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2007
This is a watercolour book and I was very excited when i saw it as it covers painting flowers in a way I would love to. She starts with a review of what paints and equipment she uses, and then explains which colours to use to get some useful mixes for flowers. Janet's paintings are very full of detail and yet retain a light airy feel and she starts by explaining how to transfer designs. She goes on to explain the importance of composition and how best to work this out. Then its on to the exciting part of techniques. I found the explanation of backgrounds easy to follow and likewise a useful tip in butterflies, which add an extra interest to flowers. Next came the actual flower painting, techniques such as wet in wet, glazing and negative painting are covered, and an explanation of hard and soft edges - which I found really useful and clear.
There are five different demos, the first four using specific techniques and the fifth consolidating many of the techniques already used. I found it difficult to follow from juts reading, perhaps because I'm not used to techniques of negative painting. I think it will be easier to understand once I actually put paint to paper and work through the exercises.

For those interested in painting flowers in a loose, colourful, clearly recognisable but not botanical style, this is a useful book covering many necessary areas.
on 11 July 2010
Janet Whittle is my favourite flower painter - so inspirational. She has given me the confidence to create my own flower paintings. They are fairly loose, bright and colourful, capturing the essence of the blooms....cant wait to get the next one.
on 2 August 2011
Janet Whittle is such a generous soul to share her precious secrets with us. I have spent many enchanted hours on my verandah with this book and my paints, learning her techniques. Her instructions are more in the form of guidance - so there is lots of room for personal style.
on 7 August 2010
Found this book really useful the colours and pictures are very clear, very easy to follow.
on 12 June 2012
I bought Two copies of this book for two of my friends and I must say it is an
excellent book on the subject of painting flowers in watercolour and they think
the same.
I would certainly recomend it with good clear instructions and superb images.