Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2005
This book is great! My 2 year old loves it and is learning where things come from all the time! The story is that Grandad is explaining to a very bored little boy where all the items that are delivered from the supermarket come from. Illustrations and photos are coupled together fantasticly and you really do feel as though your children are learning something! Buy it, I have and several others as presents!
A great book with beautiful pictures.

This book is great for starting discussions about where things come from, what it was like before we could import these things, how our lives have changed etc.

A simple text is engaging and educational, put simply a lovely charming book.
on 16 February 2009
This book was fantastic. I used it to introduce a Geography lesson to Year 1 children about where the food we eat comes from. The kids were captivated by the book. We then went on to mark some of the food on a world map.
on 21 July 2009
My almost 6 year old son fell in love with this book at after school club so much they let him bring it home. I had to read it twice to him at bedtime. He had to give the book back so I bought him one. He still loves it.
on 28 May 2010
Very creative way of explaining to children how and where different items (products) come from.
A fantastic way of education children, linking the global dimension.
on 29 October 2015
I have used this for a junior school assembly and a family harvest service. When stickers for the items are put on a large map of the world it really show up how dependent we are on each other. Lovely illustrations.
on 5 January 2011
I bought this for my four year old. She really enjoys it and it ties in nicely with another Eden Project Book we have been reading about where things come from. This is a simpler and more light hearted explanation which subtly explains where everyday materials we have in our home come from. It is ideal for younger ones in raising their awareness of the world and how everything doesn't magically form in a supermarket!!
Would recommend to others
on 25 May 2013
I really love this book, and so does my 2 year old daughter. Really clever idea, great illustrations (I love the combination of photos and drawing), and lovely characters. We have all 4 of the George and Flora series, and my daughter is a great fan of Grandpa, we wish we had him living round the corner from us! I would recommend anyone with small kids to buy the whole series as I think the others are even better!
on 14 September 2014
We didn't fall in love with this book. While it offers lots of information to the small listener about the origins of food the word patterns and the layout jarred. However, in it's defence, a view from Amazon's "Look Inside" feature may well help purchasers decide if it's just me, or if they feel the same.
on 8 July 2011
Every household and classroom should have the whole set of these books from the Eden project. They combine a story with facts, geography, growing things, being green and loads more. I have read them to groups of children in the library, have bought the set of three for my own children, lent them to my daughters school, and am now about to buy this one again as a Thank you Teacher present as he was so impressed when we lent it into school. Please buy, highly recommended!