on 24 May 2016
Quite an old fashioned book by today's standards but a useful resource all the same. Just don't expect current designs. The recipés themselves are simple and authentic and a wealth of details about all things in the Italian kitchen.
on 5 September 2017
Very good book but then I'm biased as I love Antonio Carluccio. Looking forward to trying many of these recipes.
on 17 October 2015
Got to have this!
on 26 November 2001
Each recipe was individual and unique and yet just as tantalising and delicious as each other. Even recipies which i would not normally have tried have prooved to be excellant and have introduced me to a range of tastes and flavours, which i woud normally never have experianced. I have gained in confidence and repetoire and now I achknowledge myself as a competant cook. I adore Italian food and this book is the nectar of Italian cookery. I would advise it to anyone confident cook or beginner, food lover or even hater. I challenge anyone not to adore this book.
on 12 May 2005
I love the way this book is set out, each chapter is in alphabetical order, giving both the Italian and English for every food, advice on choosing produce and interesting sections on how certain foods are farmed, produced, and ways of cooking them. I am English and live in Italy and this has been my bible since certain types of food in the market, (fish, cheese, vegetables, etc) I could not even find in the dictionary let alone know how to be creative with. I would advise all expats in Italy to arm themselves with one of these and you will never have to ask anyone's help again - your cooking will always be wonderful and noone will ever tell you the English don't know how to cook.
on 14 November 2011
You never know if the celebrity chef actually writes their own book, but as Carluccio used to be a journalist before becoming a chef and restauranteur, then I believe he did write this one. It is full of little stories from Carluccio about the food when he was younger. He knows loads about mushrooms so there is a chapter dedicated to mushrooms! He gives an explanation of each of the foods and ingredients that go into make the recipes. I have used some of the recipes and they are the closest I can get to real authentic Italian food my Mum and Nonna used to make.
on 20 February 2007
I have to disagree with the reviewer who said this book was a disappointment. It does not pretend to be a recipe book - not a traditional one at least. What it is, on the otherhand, is a complete guide to Italian food and cooking. There is a lot of priceless information, doubtlessly-well researched, about how the various ingredients work together, their availability in various regions, and, of course, mouth-watering recipes. What the previous reviewer failed to see, perhaps, was that the recipes given in this book are very easily adaptable, and having read the background info at the beginning of each chapter, one can very easily create a multitude of traditional Italian dishes, based on the recipes found within the same chapter.

I am a great fan of Italian cuisine, and a firm believer that cooking is an art, not a task. If all you need is a bible-full of straightforward recipes, with little or no background info, then perhaps something like The Silver Spoon would suit your needs better. However, if you enjoy adding your touch to the dishes you create, then Complete Italian Food is the book for you. It not only presents instructions....it makes the recipes work for you, and makes them so easily adaptable that before long you'll soon be creating your very own repertoire of Italian delicacies....your style!!!
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2009
A wonderful publication - even if you never use the receipes you will love the information and the photograps - would thoroughtly recommend
on 27 September 2012
I enjoyed reading this book. I've got quite a passion for Italy having travelled there a 27 times(!) and counting... mostly to Northern-ish Italy - Liguria, Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Lazio, Umbria, Venito & Lombardy. This book is written with such great passion but I just can't recommend it as its confusing to the reader.

It's written by an 'artist' and what are great cooks eh?.... But... What is it?... a travel book or a cook book?...Neither. Pages and pages of info - A-Z s of Veg, Meat, Cheese etc with lots of pretty pictures but only pictures to half the recipes here. If you read it as a travel/history book then its interesting reading but essentially 'useless', but if you want to cook a lot of what is offered here then you really need to be in Italy for the ingredients. Also, There is much talk of offal etc which given Italy's peasant cooking tradition is correct but possibly of little interest to a modern cook from outside AND inside Italy? Many of the ingredients, unless you live in London say, you just won't be able to get hold of. Italian sausages with fennel seeds anyone?

Other than a Sean Hill (for classic French technique) and Delia (bible!) book I am disappointed with most other cook books so maybe it was a tall order for this to impress me!

BTW I'm Dyslexic so don't equate bad English and grammar to 'Thick'.
on 2 August 2010
Thank you for this great masterpiece of cooking and gastronomy dimension! The tiramisu (recipe on page 255) has simply hypnotized my family and friends. Risotto ai funghi is also one of my favorites now :) and there are so many other recipes still waiting to be experimented. I am in love with italian food :) Love from Budapest, Anita